Author Topic: Duke of Edinburgh - Weight to Carry  (Read 9229 times)

RogerA

Duke of Edinburgh - Weight to Carry
« on: 13:08:30, 21/03/18 »
My daughter is doing Duke of Edinburgh Bronze this summer. She tells me her teacher at school has suggested they'll be carrying 20kg ... this seems really quite a lot to me.
I'm also concerned that she things shes been told they wont be carrying any water as this will be provided ... surely 2l is the minimum to carry on a whole day 15km walk with pack in July?
I would have thought 10-13kg sounds more reasonable. Does anyone know what is normal for this type of expedition?

The below is somewhat guesswork but I think covers most of the weight needed:
2l water (2kg)
Backpack (2.3kg)
Sleeping bag (1.6kg)
1/4 Tent (1.25kg)
Food (2kg)
Spare Clothes (2kg)
Total : just over 11kg

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Duke of Edinburgh - Weight to Carry
« Reply #1 on: 13:42:42, 21/03/18 »
Stove and fuel to add to your list, and then all those odd bits and bobs which must be made of lead the way the weight adds up.

Both my kids have done some DofE and water was provided at the camp sites but not on the walks.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:09:11, 21/03/18 »
This may give you an idea of how the organisers think:

Kitlist for DOE
https://www.dofeshopping.org/kitlist/

Too little, too late, too bad......

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:17:51, 21/03/18 »
I have met groups out walking and they are carrying water which they can top up at the check points if it is hot. I was told they have to be totally self sufficient on the walk.

I have picked up a rucksack of a bronze participant and if that had been my first experience of walking I would never had gone again as the pack was very heavy and needed the help of another person to get it on. I don't know if they were carrying a lot of unnecessary extras or not. One leader I was chatting to said girls have been know turn up with gas hair stylers to do their hair.

Every May an area near me is used as the trial run before the real weekend and I have directed many a lost group in an wooded area which has more paths on the ground than on the map. I helped teacher/leaders find groups.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:40:33, 21/03/18 »
DOE participents always look over burdened with their sacks don't they. I have pften wondered whether this is because they are instructed to take so much or whether it is their own decision. Their gear is also not the lightest either, but typical of inexpierience and shallow pockets. The lightest gear is far more expensive. A DOE instructor once told me when asked abour the weight factor that some do weigh themselves down. This made me think that it is not a neccesity? carrying water is essential.

RogerA

« Reply #5 on: 17:00:49, 21/03/18 »
Thanks for your replies guys! I knew I could rely on you for some common sense.

heh! gas powered curlers ... one of the girls in the group I know was intending to bring a stone based frying pan, eggs flour and milk so she could make pancakes in the morning ... I sent a message via my daughter to stop being so silly.

Perhaps I'll let her pack what she thinks she needs then take her on an easy 5 miler ... then go through with her and remove what she wont need.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:50:40, 21/03/18 »
To OP, suggest you tell your daughter to ensure she does carry water because I have come across Duke of Edinburgh Award groups when out walking and they have always been either lost (on one occasion travelling in exactly the wrong, opposite direction) or well behind schedule, or both!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:08:43, 21/03/18 »
I was told they have to be totally self sufficient on the walk.

True! When I told a group I passed that there was a Spar store down in the valley, they told me they weren't allowed to use it.
But they were pleased to learn there was a public convenience, they could use that!  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:36:49, 21/03/18 »
I would have thought that such a well respected and long established outdoors challenge for the young adventurer, would have had a set list for the equipment that each candidate was expected to carry.
Weight may be an issue, but firstly i would want to know which items of kit are essential or compulsory, and which are optional.

The main criteria for someone who is possibly new to the great outdoors, is staying dry, warm, and fully hydrated.

Correct boot fitment and comfort hopefully will be taken for granted, but there must be a specified kit list.

A 20k weight seems quite heavy, especially for someone possibly unused to hauling that kind of weight around on their backs.
« Last Edit: 18:40:17, 21/03/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:49:00, 21/03/18 »
DA: In reply #2 to this thread, there is a link to the kit list. If you read it, it lists kit both recommended and optional
« Last Edit: 18:53:09, 21/03/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:18:19, 21/03/18 »
It is usually possible to determine what level DoE ers ar at by their packs. Bronze..huge packs with all sorts of items dangling on the outside. Silver..neat looking pack but with tent and sleeping gear slung underneath. Gold..neat pack with everything inside.
I was walking in Derbyshire when a group of Bronze DoEers appeared with all the usual dangly bits.one boy though had a neatish pack with just one or two bits on the outside. One of the others asked him how come his was so neat and the reply was his nan had packed it and it all went inside but when he went hunting in the pack for something he couldn’t get it all back inside.
It's all uphill from here.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:44:58, 21/03/18 »
I wonder if there is a bit of a crossed line between the teacher and the pupils because 20kg sounds an awful lot for a teenager to lug around and enjoy the expedition experience. 11kg sounds far more realistic, when I ran Scouts we encouraged the lads to keep below 25 lbs for a two day expedition which is under 11kg. It made them experiment with different types of food and realise that camp food doesn't have to be beans and sausages.

Maybe the water mentioned is for cooking in the evening and washing but to take no drinking water sounds a recipe for problems.

A conversation with the teacher sounds advisable RogerA if your daughter is to enjoy her expedition.

Regards Keith

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:11:44, 21/03/18 »
You all seem to be missing the whole point of the DofE thing. Their not supposed to enjoy it, their meant to be suffering, their supposed  to carry far to much and have a really bad time. They should come away from it with the idea that all outdoor activities are for masochists and never want to do anything like it again. Leaving the hills nice and quite for us to enjoy all to ourselves.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:37:01, 21/03/18 »

Certainly whenever I see DofE-ers I think the idea must be put them off for life.
I suppose no-one is going to get good kit for something they might never do again, but I sometimes wonder if any of them do some long term damage to their backs.
My brother had a theory the packs were designed to weed out the weaklings.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:47:14, 21/03/18 »
 Well it was created by Prince Phillip.Did anyone expect it to be a pleasant experience?

He is not known for his sensitive and sympathetic nature.
 So when a group of teenagers told Prince Philip of their hardships during a recent Duke of Edinburgh expedition, they were given short-shrift.
As he toured the state rooms of St James's Palace, Prince Philip told the group: "You were meant to suffer, it's good for the soul.
"You can all breathe a sigh of relief it's all over."
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-philip-tells-teenagers-who-2359596

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy