Author Topic: Is any waterproof jacket truly waterproof?  (Read 6378 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Is any waterproof jacket truly waterproof?
« on: 13:43:59, 19/12/18 »
I have just read the fell top assessor's report from Tue 18/12/18. Interesting that even his waterproof did not keep the rain out. Here is the text from the report.

"A wild day to be trying to climb a mountain. The assessor chose to attempt an ascent of Helvellyn via the Wythburn Path, as it is straightforward with no big crags to get blown off. In the event he gave up his attempt at 850m on the western flank of Nethermost Pike due to constantly being hurled to the ground by the gale to storm force winds. Quite often in winter the best decision is to turn back. Today was definitely one of those days.

Torrential rain was the other main weather feature today, filling becks and making all ground waterlogged. Despite the thorough wetting everything was getting, including the assessor right down to his base-layers, there was still some ice present on the paths above 750m, although as the thaw continues throughout the day it is impossible to say how much ice will be present on the high fells tomorrow.

Anyone heading onto the fells today should really have chosen a lower level route instead. Double waterproofs might have proved useful, along with lots of warmth layers, and the usual map and compass, food and drink. An ice axe and crampons should always be carried in winter on the high fells, but today they weren't used."

Perhaps having two waterproofs is the answer?
Hate will never win

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Is any waterproof jacket truly waterproof?
« Reply #1 on: 15:59:05, 19/12/18 »
I have just read the fell top assessor's report from Tue 18/12/18. Interesting that even his waterproof did not keep the rain out. Here is the text from the report.

"A wild day to be trying to climb a mountain. The assessor chose to attempt an ascent of Helvellyn via the Wythburn Path, as it is straightforward with no big crags to get blown off. In the event he gave up his attempt at 850m on the western flank of Nethermost Pike due to constantly being hurled to the ground by the gale to storm force winds. Quite often in winter the best decision is to turn back. Today was definitely one of those days.

Torrential rain was the other main weather feature today, filling becks and making all ground waterlogged. Despite the thorough wetting everything was getting, including the assessor right down to his base-layers, there was still some ice present on the paths above 750m, although as the thaw continues throughout the day it is impossible to say how much ice will be present on the high fells tomorrow.

Anyone heading onto the fells today should really have chosen a lower level route instead. Double waterproofs might have proved useful, along with lots of warmth layers, and the usual map and compass, food and drink. An ice axe and crampons should always be carried in winter on the high fells, but today they weren't used."

Perhaps having two waterproofs is the answer?

Do membrane-based jackets leak then? Mine never seem to. Obviously rain gets in at neck and cuffs but that's not what I'd call leaking as such. I don't ever remember the fabric letting water through.

Maybe he was wearing Paramo?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:14:17, 19/12/18 »
In the days I used to "trot" across the odd bog for best part of a day, on really rainy days I used to wear a ventile jacket on top of another waterproof. That proved watertight for me...but blimey, there was a fair bit of weight compared to more modern kit, and you almost needed a hours notice to get dressed/ undressed.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:17:45, 19/12/18 »

I have nothing but praise for my Mountain Equipment Gore Tex Pro jacket, which is entering it's 4th Orkney winter. As the owner of an energetic dog, I am out in all weathers, including horizontal rain in storm force winds (I find it exhilarating). This jacket has NOT let me down - the only water ingress has been around my face.

£265 well spent - worth every penny.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:22:31, 19/12/18 »
I have nothing but praise for my Mountain Equipment Gore Tex Pro jacket, which is entering it's 4th Orkney winter. As the owner of an energetic dog, I am out in all weathers, including horizontal rain in storm force winds (I find it exhilarating). This jacket has NOT let me down - the only water ingress has been around my face.

I can't begin to guess at the number of jackets I've owned over the years, none of which have come close in terms of function and protection to my Mountain Equipment Lhotse

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:44:59, 19/12/18 »
+1 for the Lhotse - great piece of kit.  Stung a bit paying for it though!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:04:48, 19/12/18 »

Pretty sure that it is the Lhotse that I have.

I would buy the same again without hesitation.

EDIT available for £275 from Gaynor Sports Ambleside
« Last Edit: 19:12:39, 19/12/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:05:52, 19/12/18 »
The problem I have is that I run hot and if I wear a waterproof for any length of time, I end up wet through. Once the shell gets wet, the supposed breathability seems ineffective. My main 'heavy duty' she'll is a Marmot. I have worn this in absolutely torrential rain round and about - say to the local shops - and stayed bone dry. However once I start working hard, I get wet. This seems an insoluble problem.

Maggot

« Reply #8 on: 20:08:15, 19/12/18 »
Nothing, once made into a garment of any kind is ever truly waterproof.

Why does this question keep coming up? 

Nothing you wear for walking can be 100% waterproof, that is the end of this discussion forever  O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:46:15, 19/12/18 »
If you say so.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:56:58, 19/12/18 »

I just bought the ME Rupal jacket, hope it's as good as yours O0

+1 for the Lhotse - great piece of kit.  Stung a bit paying for it though!
;D
[/size]The problem I have is that I run hot and if I wear a waterproof for any length of time, I end up wet through.
Me too  :-\

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:31:14, 19/12/18 »

Why does this question keep coming up? 

Nothing you wear for walking can be 100% waterproof, that is the end of this discussion forever  O0

we'll chat amongst ourselves if that's ok with you?

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:32:33, 19/12/18 »

Wetsuit?
Marigold gloves?

Maggot

« Reply #13 on: 21:43:21, 19/12/18 »

Wetsuit?
Marigold gloves?

Well, definitely not a wetsuit, they are basically designed to flood!

Maggot

« Reply #14 on: 21:50:30, 19/12/18 »

You see this is exactly it.  This response sums up my point brilliantly.

Richard is telling us that the jacket is, and always has been 100% waterproof over the course of 4 harsh winters in some exceptional weather........except where it lets the water in  ;D

The fabric can be 100% waterproof, but when made into a garment you cannot seal the whole thing 100%, no walking garment is 100% waterproof.  Look at the labels, they say 'Made from 100% waterproof fabric'  not 'This jacket is 100% waterproof'  There is a subtle marketing difference hiding in there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy