Author Topic: Is any waterproof jacket truly waterproof?  (Read 6372 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Is any waterproof jacket truly waterproof?
« Reply #15 on: 21:51:08, 19/12/18 »
Nothing, once made into a garment of any kind is ever truly waterproof.

I have worn drysuits that have done a pretty good job down to 120 ft under water.  I have a Berghaus shell with zip in fleece that does a good job but is unfortunately too warm for UK use except in the depths of winter.  I have a lightweight Wolfskin membrane jacket that is waterproof as far is rain is concerned - shame about the condensation issue though.
My Paramo jacket is a disappointment, it suffers from both condensation and wetting out in time.  My Paramo trousers on the other hand are by an large successful but only suitable for winter use.  My Berghaus Deluge trousers have yet to be subjected to a thorough test.
One thin I can say from today's walk though, when the Met Office let me down with an unscheduled downpour -  a fleece and Craghoppers trousers don't cut it in the rain  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:57:53, 19/12/18 »
You see this is exactly it.  This response sums up my point brilliantly.Richard is telling us that the jacket is, and always has been 100% waterproof over the course of 4 harsh winters in some exceptional weather........except where it lets the water in  ;D  The fabric can be 100% waterproof, but when made into a garment you cannot seal the whole thing 100%, no walking garment is 100% waterproof.  Look at the labels, they say 'Made from 100% waterproof fabric'  not 'This jacket is 100% waterproof'  There is a subtle marketing difference hiding in there.
The major weakness is ingress round the hood.  The can be overcome using a hood with a wire reinforced peak or a decent hat with a good brim. 
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:59:18, 19/12/18 »
I just bought the ME Rupal jacket, hope it's as good as yours O0

;D  Me too  :-\

Popular choice. I also bought one recently?  Best jacket I have found so far.  Got a  thorough testing in gale force winds rain and hail on Dartmoor last Sunday.   O0
« Last Edit: 22:04:47, 19/12/18 by BuzyG »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:59:35, 19/12/18 »
.... that is the end of this discussion forever  O0

It would appear that you are wrong  ::)

Anyway, to contribute usefully (hopefully) to this topic, my jacket is 100% waterproof.  It's also 100% not breathable when fully zipped up (which is obviously the reason I walk so slow so as to not work up a sweat and cause condensation on the inside  :D  )

Maggot

« Reply #19 on: 22:00:55, 19/12/18 »

I have worn drysuits that have done a pretty good job down to 120 ft under water.  I have a Berghaus shell with zip in fleece that does a good job but is unfortunately too warm for UK use except in the depths of winter.  I have a lightweight Wolfskin membrane jacket that is waterproof as far is rain is concerned - shame about the condensation issue though.
My Paramo jacket is a disappointment, it suffers from both condensation and wetting out in time.  My Paramo trousers on the other hand are by an large successful but only suitable for winter use.  My Berghaus Deluge trousers have yet to be subjected to a thorough test.
One thin I can say from today's walk though, when the Met Office let me down with an unscheduled downpour -  a fleece and Craghoppers trousers don't cut it in the rain  :)

Do you go walking regularly in a diving drysuit?  How do you get your boots and gaiters over the top of the sealed boots?   Or do you wear walking clothes for walking in?

Does your Wolfskin jacket have a tight rubber collar and cuffs and waist like a drysuit?  No it hasn't, so you will get drips down your neck etc.

Why is everyone so reluctant to admit that no coat can be 100% waterproof?  As long as they do their job to your satisfaction, then all good, but 100% waterproof.......sadly impossible!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:03:44, 19/12/18 »
The major weakness is ingress round the hood.  The can be overcome using a hood with a wire reinforced peak or a decent hat with a good brim.
O0

Popular choice. I also bought one recently?  Best jacket I have found so far.  Got I thorough testing in gale force winds rain and hail on Dartmoor last Sunday.   O0
Thanks BuzyG,  8)
I've not tested it in a proper downpour yet  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:10:13, 19/12/18 »
Does your Wolfskin jacket have a tight rubber collar and cuffs and waist like a drysuit?  No it hasn't, so you will get drips down your neck etc.

Doesn't need to.  Water doesn't flow up hill  so I don't need a water tight seal on my cuffs. I wear a broad brimmed hat in heavy rain to keep rain off my face and glasses.  My Berghaus has a projecting wire reinforced hood that does the same job,
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 22:10:54, 19/12/18 »
O0 Thanks BuzyG,  8)
I've not tested it in a proper downpour yet  :)

I have a walk to lead on Bodmin this coming Sunday looking at the forcast, it will get another proper workout then too.  ;D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:14:23, 19/12/18 »

I have a walk to lead on Bodmin this coming Sunday looking at the forcast, it will get another proper workout then too.  ;D
;D  I'll be in the lakes getting a thrashing from it no doubt

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:34:49, 19/12/18 »

Good choice Beefy. Hope that it lives up to expectations!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:36:20, 19/12/18 »
Good choice Beefy. Hope that it lives up to expectations!
Thanks richard O0

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 04:20:59, 20/12/18 »

Why is everyone so reluctant to admit that no coat can be 100% waterproof?  As long as they do their job to your satisfaction, then all good, but 100% waterproof.......sadly impossible!

what you're really asking is - "why won't everyone please agree with meeee"!

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 06:36:36, 20/12/18 »

I’m not sure “every one” is reluctant to accept any practical walking kit is “100 percent waterproof”...force water at high enough pressure against any practical clothing, and some water will get through. But walkers don’t define “waterproof” in that way...a materials scientist might, but walkers don’t.

Reality is that different types of clothes have substantially different degrees of “water resistance”, and in some clothing that resistance is high enough to keep person substantially dry in any conditions likely to be met outside a laboratory.

When we discuss “waterproof clothing”...we are really talking about clothing whose water resistance is high enough to keep us comfortable in conditions we go out in. For some of us..that will be Scottish winters (or even colder and wetter for some)...so there is bound to be a healthy interest in this topic.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:45:15, 20/12/18 »
Why does this question keep coming up? 

Nothing you wear for walking can be 100% waterproof, that is the end of this discussion forever  O0

Pleased to see there has been a discussion after all   ;)

I posted this because I assumed the Lake District Fell top assessors would have pretty decent gear. I don't know which make their jackets are, the photos don't show it. Maggot you may not have read all of the text in his report where he mentions torrential rain and gale to storm force winds. Perhaps it is this combination together that no jacket could cope with? And I don't mean water getting in through the open bits at the neck or cuffs. The assessor said he was wet down to his base layers. The fell top assessors are all very experienced mountaineers, will know what gear works well and what doesn't and I was surprised he mentioned using double waterproofs. I used to carry a spare waterproof jacket to put on if my first waterproof got soaked. It was also used as an extra warmth later. I stopped carrying it to save weight.

There have been some good reviews about Mountain Equipment jackets on here. Beefy has one now. I may get one myself but I would be too hot in a 3 layer jacket so it will have to be one of the lighter weight jackets. May not be as waterproof though?

When we discuss “waterproof clothing”...we are really talking about clothing whose water resistance is high enough to keep us comfortable in conditions we go out in. For some of us..that will be Scottish winters (or even colder and wetter for some)...so there is bound to be a healthy interest in this topic.

Spot on Mr Dawes  O0
Hate will never win

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:53:44, 20/12/18 »

what you're really asking is - "why won't everyone please agree with meeee"!
  ;D ;D O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy