Author Topic: Seefeld, Austria  (Read 5276 times)

lakedistrictlady

Seefeld, Austria
« on: 18:09:17, 04/08/11 »
A last minute trip to Seefeld for myself and my non-walking partner.  We hadn't been to Austria before so no sure what to expect.  I have to say we enjoyed every single minute.  I even got him out on a walk but only after he had tried out the golf course first!  The weather could have been kinder, very similar to a Lake District summer, however we were told very unusual for Seefeld in July.

Here are a few of our holiday snaps.  I really hope to go back next year with a few walking pals to sample more of the wonderful walking paths and trails which are so easy to enjoy in this area.

A rather damp Seefeld

This is Reith below Seefeld, and this pic shows the road and rail link down to Innsbruck

I am just about to walk down the ski slope back into Seefeld.  The chair lift isn't running today, not alot of call for it in this weather!

Fresh snow in July!

Looking down the Inn Valley from Mosern, this walk only took us an hour from Seefled and I managed to get the old man out with me for half of the day, abit of an achievement I can tell you.

This is the Peace Bell in Mosern, they ring it every day at 5pm, we had gone back to the hotel by then!

That evening we had this wonderful sunset

The following morning the sky had cleared and the sun was out.  Phil was back onto the golf course today

I went off on a walk from Scharnitz

We passed this Hutte selling cold beers direct from the cow trough!  Very enterprising of the owner

We saw lots and lots of butterflies including this one who obviously liked the salt from my friend's hand

Finally a trip over the border into Germany to Mittenwald.  A typical Bavarian village where the houses are painted spectactularly.

I cant wait to go back again!

Hope you enjoyed looking at the photos.

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Seefeld, Austria
« Reply #1 on: 18:22:07, 04/08/11 »
May I suggest that next time you try Seefeld in the winter? It is one of the best places in the alps for cross country skiing on loipes, manicured trails like tram lines. Very easy, you don't need to be an athlete - just trundle along between morning coffee/lunch/apfelstrudel stops. The weather is likely to be better too - the last time I drove across Austria in the summer near Seefeld the weather was awful too - rain, low cloud.  You need to be on the southern side of the mountains, such as the Dolomites, for the sun. Years ago I can remember fleeing to the Adriatic to escape the rain in Austria in the summer. Don't think golf is possible though in the winter!

freeas.abird

« Reply #2 on: 18:49:29, 04/08/11 »
Nice pics! Austria is really nice.
You had more snow in July than I saw in April when I passed through this part of Austria on my way south.
Interesting how it redirects to your webshots account when you click on the pic. We can then browse all your travel photos.......
Cheers!
I smile because it happened. I regret that it is over. KBO.

http://malcolmburton.blogspot.com/

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:50:26, 04/08/11 »
Hi Helen, they look amazing pictures.. I like seeing
about new places and what it is like to be there.

Thank you for posting about such a wonderful place.

I love the sunset photo.   ;) O0
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:31:13, 04/08/11 »
Great Helen, I particularly like the "fresh snow in July" picture. I've never been to Austria but it's on my list, been to Switzerland though and thats an amazing country. I susperc Austria is very similar.

Thanks for sharing.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:15:10, 04/08/11 »
Prima! Wunderschön! Augezeichnete Fotos!  O0 O0 O0

You were lucky with the weather, Helen - catching it on the change like that. I lived near Salzburg for 2 months as a whippersnapper and those damp conditions can last for days and days! Glad you had such a great time!
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:32:43, 04/08/11 »
Gorgeous photos Helen  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:39:03, 04/08/11 »
Great pics   O0 . Wouldn't an overseas meet up be great fun  :D
No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:09:52, 05/08/11 »
Nice piccies, I learnt to ski in Seefeld back in 1994. I always meant to go back in the summer but have never got round to it :(

May I suggest that next time you try Seefeld in the winter? It is one of the best places in the alps for cross country skiing on loipes, manicured trails like tram lines. Very easy, you don't need to be an athlete - just trundle along between morning coffee/lunch/apfelstrudel stops.

I think this probably depends on your fitness, when we were there another couple at the hotel had gone to do just this rather than their normal downhill. They were so knackered after the first day that for the rest of the week they ditched the skis and just went for the coffee/lunch/apfelstrudel stops without the exercise in between ;D
Enjoy every sandwich

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:00:58, 06/08/11 »
I think loipe skiing is like being on foot - you can choose to walk, jog or run.  I believe that brisk XC skiing is apparently one of the best aerobic exercises.  Sounds as though the couple still managed to enjoy themselves though. Snow shoeing seems to be getting popular now, with even prepared trails for it.

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:29:15, 08/08/11 »
very nice :)
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy