Author Topic: Julian Alps - Slovenia Walking Trip 1  (Read 6731 times)

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Julian Alps - Slovenia Walking Trip 1
« Reply #15 on: 15:53:18, 12/09/11 »
I remember seeing an account with pics of an ascent by a man and his girl friend who were essentially runners not hill walkers or mountaineers. Up and back in one day from the south I think. Don't get put off by altitude. Mt Thabor down towards Briancon for instance is a very straightforward ascent. Check its height.

stroller52

« Reply #16 on: 23:12:21, 12/09/11 »
I remember seeing an account with pics of an ascent by a man and his girl friend who were essentially runners not hill walkers or mountaineers. Up and back in one day from the south I think. Don't get put off by altitude.
Hi altirando it always amazes me that runners achieve in a fraction of the time what I struggle to achieve. I take the view that this gives me longer in stunning surroundings with opportunity to take in the scenes, sounds and silences.
It isn't so much the height as the degree of exposure to the drops :-[ ;D

It's a long walk to the hut, but the final 300m is a protected chimney and a narrow, protected ridge. Other routes, I was led to believe, involve more committed via ferrata, and possibly longer walks in.

And, to cap it all, summit day was an awful claggy day and I saw no views at all.  :(

Still good, though!  O0
I'm glad you made the summit glovepuppet despite the conditions.  The final stage would have done for me as I have poor balance and an even poorer head for heights.  I am working on the balance hoping it might help the height thing.  Still I know my limits and am happy to get as high as I can but don't feel pressure to reach every summit

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:24:48, 17/09/11 »
Lovely photos  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy