Author Topic: I walked the Tour of Mont Blanc - fantastic!  (Read 7450 times)

Mountaingirl

Re: I walked the Tour of Mont Blanc - fantastic!
« Reply #15 on: 16:14:36, 26/12/13 »
Now I'm seriously thinking of doing it in the next summer ::)
I will be staying in gites, refuges and hostels. If I book them,  my bed would be guranteed and no sleeping on the floor. On the other hand, if the weather is terrible, I would be tied to the booking.
When I walked in Polish Tatras last summer, I was glad I booked it and had a bed when the rain started in the late afternoon. On the other hand, if the weather was worse, I would have messed up the chain of booked places or would have risked pushing myself too far.
What do you think?

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:19:41, 26/12/13 »
Although I camped, except one night (mid July) I did meet people who took a tent/sleeping bag with them as an insurance policy and booked refuges as they arrived at different places. The ones that I spoke to seemed to be trying to walk as they please but did not want to be tied down to a strict forward planned timetable. As far as I know every person had been able to book at the refuges of their choice. On the one day that I chose a refuge I was in the top floor area, about 40 beds but only three of us were up there. I was lucky, I had sunshine every day.

Mountaingirl

« Reply #17 on: 14:13:01, 31/12/13 »
I don't even like to carry sleeping bag - extra weight.  :-\   I probably conbine some booking at stratigic points and allow some extra days. I ordered Ciceron book. The easiest way is to go with organised tour and get a bag carried forward but if I do by myself, I have a freedom, greater sense of achievement and remember much more.  ::)   will see.....

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:35:40, 31/12/13 »
On something as popular as the TMB I think it depends on the time of year.  I suspect in mid July to mid August, main French hols, the accommodation would be all booked up in advance, not least by commercial treks.  Even risky trying to get into valley campsites then, signs COMPLET.  Earlier you risk finding snow on the highest cols, later the weather starts to break down, but often settles into pleasant autumn conditions in September.  And I agree with you about the sleeping bag etc. I have always been put off doing these treks just because I would hate humping a full large pack day after day.  I prefer to stay centrally, do most of the route stripped down on separate days.
« Last Edit: 18:38:45, 31/12/13 by altirando »

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:38:09, 02/01/14 »
Just an added thought - the TMB would actually be very easy to complete from two bases - Chamonix on the north side, Courmayeur on the south.  You can pick the sunny days for the best bits such as the Balcon and Mont Saxe and meander along them rather than march along to try to get to a refuge early to find a bed.  Come to think of it, I must have done most of the route at one time or another from these two sides.

pottermuss

« Reply #20 on: 17:58:39, 02/01/14 »

Some useful advice on here http://www.alpineexploratory.com/  
Kev Reynolds Cicerone guide is invaluable for both directions.
I carried my own stuff a few years ago mixing huts and hotels which seemed to work well.

Mountaingirl

« Reply #21 on: 17:55:23, 08/01/14 »
my cicerone guide has been delivered, and I have been reading and planning. I booked leaves for 2 weeks in July and would be going with not so hurried pace.
I like the idea of center based trekking. I did it for Hadrian Wall Path, and ferried myself back and forth with Hadrian wall Bus - the best bus in UK, friendly and helpful driver and very reliable. I could count on it.
However, logistically it is difficult for TMB. no simple transport network to connect all the points. there will be lots of extra time and cost to go back to where I started or finished and there will be some parts missing.  And also, I am struggling to find accom in towns for a single person. It would be OK to find one in dorms in refuges but majority of accom. only have double rooms :-\
Are there any girls out there interested in coming with me to share a double room? (sorry boys, I don't share a hotel with other sex :P)

Facing the difficulty, it would be easier and safer to go on an organised adventure trip for which I don't have to pay for single supplement and have luggage carried by mules etc...yet it would cost 2K. Exodus has a camping option but I don't camp, unless there is no other option. self guided holiday for which the company arranges accom for me would cost about 800.. but I can't see too much point of bothering the middle man.

Well, I have not given up yet. will see what I can do ::).
« Last Edit: 20:09:05, 08/01/14 by Mountaingirl »

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 00:59:33, 11/01/14 »
Actually on the north side there is a very efficient shuttle bus service in Chamonix connecting all the access points to the northern section of the tmb.  Plus  very convenient cable cars.  On the south side, I think we just walked up out of Courmayeur up a valley trail then back along the Saxe variant section.  Only doubtful section would be the west end of the southern part whic is probably the least interesting.  Those prices sound horrific.  There is a well known female guide who lives near the tmb, Hilary Sharp, who leads treks, also worth trying Undiscovered Alps, an activity company owned and led by females. Shame about the male-less walking!

beyondbrighton

« Reply #23 on: 23:29:01, 02/02/14 »
Well done on completing this. I was thinking about this and lejog this summer but realised that the tmb is very doable without intense training where as lejog may be out of my reach for this year.

i;ve committed to doing this this summer. the only thing i was worried about was not having rooms at the refuges as i'd like the flexibility of hiking more or less in a particular day depending on the weather and how tired i would be that day. however with this aside. i decide to commit to this in the summer and will just try and book accommodation a day in advance.

thanks for the inspiration!

Mountaingirl

« Reply #24 on: 18:57:14, 25/08/14 »
Hi, I have done TMB at the beginning of July this year. much easier way.
I hate carrying heavy load,,,can't stand the cold in tent esp. when raining outside :-[    and planning each day in advance as a solowalker, as I mentioned above,  proved too complicated.  And so, though I  much admire the trekking style of youradvocate in the way you mingled with locals, I joined small French company's tour - half the price of exodus who did not cover the whole route .
It was quite spartan...no comfortable hotel to spend a day off  in Courmayeur as exodus offers, but all in refuges in dorms and we walked past Courmayeur and carried onto the mountain. We had breakfast and dinner at the refuges. Oddly, while we were in France, we had pasta every day for dinner. They never missed 4 course, 3 course plus Cheese. When we entered Italy, pasta dinner disappeared along with cheese, and we had beef stew every night. In Switzerland, cheese got into main dish.  Picnic  lunch was provided by muletier- he would run to supermarket and come back with bread, sausage, cheese and fruits. sometimes, tin of tuna, sometimes tin of pate, which resembled dog food :-\    Muletier guided the walk and looked after the mule who carried our luggage.
It was a great company of French, Spanish and me. We communicated in broken French, Spanish and English and got on very well.
The second night, we stayed at the simplest refuges of the tour at Bellachat above Les Houches. It had the greatest view of Mont Blanc range from the balcony and the we were lucky with the weather.

I attach a photo of the view from the refuge - as this post is not as substantial to put as TR.

After 7 days, the rest of the group had gone home, taking the bus through Mont Blanc tunnel from Courmayeur to Chamonix and I continued with the guide, who also took the role of mule to carry my luggage. Then, the pace become his, not the group or the mule - sometimes, we had to walk in mule's pace as the mule didn't like downhill. With just a guide and myself, I would have liked to take in the view, but the guide walked much faster than it had been with the group. :(
And so, after we finished the whole circle, I was very pleased to walk on my own for extra 3 days in Chamonix. On the first day, I did the walk I missed on TMB.
All in all, it was a fantastic trip.  Going by organised tour was a good decision for this trip as I had gone down with flu 2 days before the departure and quite ill on the first day- took a cable car up the Flegere and stayed in bed- 3rd day, missed col de la Seigne and went with luggage in a car, and 10 th day, took a bus.
After all, I am glad I went. Being off sick from work, missing the tour and staying in bed at home would have made me really miserable.
This tour was the most physically demanding walk - maybe because I was ill? - more than Inca Trek or Annapurna Base Camp which I found quite easy. 
Thank you for the inspiration O0
« Last Edit: 21:09:10, 25/08/14 by Mountaingirl »

beyondbrighton

« Reply #25 on: 23:52:22, 12/09/14 »
Just got back today after doing the TMB in 9 days.

It was tough but very rewarding and was luckily enough to get beautiful sunny weather throughout save the last day.

Treated myself to 2 nice chillout days in chamonix after finishing.
This included going to the 3942m Aguille du Midi and eating a rich raclette meal and lots of gelati and pastries.

Just to encourage people who are thinking about doing it next year. I had previously never done more than a day hike before so it's suitable for most.

Saw many grandparents and a couple of families out there so it's a good one for all ages and abilities.

The people I met there were amazing. I hardly ever walked alone. In fact it was difficult avoiding people as the trail was still busy.

good luck to those attempting this next year and thanks to the ones who have posted invaluable information on this route.

bonne journee!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy