Author Topic: Sleeping mat matters  (Read 11228 times)

Steve922

Sleeping mat matters
« on: 09:45:58, 21/06/18 »
Inflatable or Self inflating or closed cell ?
I recently bought a closed cell roll-up sleeping mat from (£5.99 at Lidl now). Its about half the weight but over twice the packed size of my 3/4 Thermarest 'self-infater'.
     I'd be vert interested if people's opinions about these two type of mat.
     There's also the NeoAir XLite which specs really nice but oh! the cost!
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-mat-regular-D2424185.html?colour=151

And then there's this one on offer at the moment. I'm very tempted here. Opinions would be very much appreciated...
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sea-to-summit-ultralight-mat-p389019

Arrrgghhhhh - so much to think about. Are we spoilt for choices?   :-)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping mat matters
« Reply #1 on: 10:25:48, 21/06/18 »

I've got an ancient closed cell Karrimat from the 1980s; sawn off now as I damaged one end of it. Weight only 236g. Still perfectly adequate for me - I used it wild camping up in the Cairngorms last weekend.

I'm contemplating cutting a bit more off, to save a bit more weight - you don't really need the full length.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:44:35, 21/06/18 »

208g now that I have just shortened it to 120cm. This is still plenty to go under my torso and thighs.

Why don't you give it a try?
A shortened mat takes up less space, as well as being lighter. Even if you find that you don't like a short mat, you've only lost £5.99.

p.s. - don't forget to round off the corners after you have made the cut. Not for the small weight saving but so that they don't snag when you are stuffing the mat into your backpack.
« Last Edit: 11:03:38, 21/06/18 by richardh1905 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:18:09, 21/06/18 »
I sleep on my side, closed cell for me terrible idea. After a hards days hiking I want real sleeping comfort so I like self inflators, although I now use a Neo air which has to be inflated.

Steve922

« Reply #4 on: 12:30:06, 21/06/18 »
The NeoAir worth the money?  Also, any opinions on the Sea to Summit infalable - looks a lot like the NeoAir  Also includes the inflator/stuff sack thing. I wonder if that can be used a a pillow too?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:52:09, 21/06/18 »
For me it is even though it is a bit expensive. It rolls up very small and very lightweight compared to my other matress and again, for me is also comfortable. I do'nt use it in my Bivi, I use my short Prolite for this. I've used the NeoAir for well over two years and no leaks at all. It can be a bit noisy as you turn over but I've more or less solved this, I use a Thermarest fitted sheet. I use the inflator stuffsack to blow it up, takes about 4-5 puffs to do it. The bag is useful as well, can be used as a pillow, I stuff my clothing in it and then place my Sea to Summit blow up pillow on top. I hate getting a stiff neck in the night.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:48:27, 21/06/18 »
I've not heard many people with Neoairs complaining about them but loads raving about them so they must be doing something right.

I used to be able to handle a CCF pad but not since my 20s. If I tried to sleep on one now I wouldn't sleep a wink and I'd be crippled the next day. I wish I could because they're cheap, warm and light, albeit annoyingly bulky.

So I have an Exped UL which I find good. It's heavier than I'd like but then I did go for extra large one which is massive. I can treat it like a bed and turn all I like. It was expensive but it's literally the most important bit of kit I have in that it makes backpacking possible at all for me given my back and neck problems.

It depends what you need. If you can get away with CCF then why not. If you can't then Thermarest and Exped make great products.

Steve922

« Reply #7 on: 15:15:34, 21/06/18 »
ANyone experienced the sea-to-summit UL mat above? Or is this a new product? It does look relatively good value

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:33:34, 21/06/18 »
ANyone experienced the sea-to-summit UL mat above? Or is this a new product? It does look relatively good value

Never tried one but it's very light. Does have a low R value so very little insulation so probably would need topping with something in colder months. Personally I think it's a mistake to get a low R air mat unless it's for summer use only.
« Last Edit: 11:42:38, 22/06/18 by NeilC »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:20:32, 22/06/18 »

It depends what you need. If you can get away with CCF then why not. If you can't then Thermarest and Exped make great products.

I suppose it all boils down to this. I often sleep on a SIM when I am 'boot of the car' camping, and always my trusty Karrimat when wild camping, and I can't say that I notice much of a difference in the amount of sleep that I get.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:06:55, 22/06/18 »
I've ended up in the last few years with three Thermorest mattresses, a short Prolight for my Bivi, a Neo Air for my tent and a six foot long and thicker cheaper self inflating mattress when I sleep in my car, or when guests stay. I get up so early I like to sleep in our conservatory so I don't disturb anybody in the morning.

Nomad32

« Reply #11 on: 23:03:40, 22/06/18 »
I love my neo air mat. Me and my lady have two of them for or little tent and they fit together in there perfect. It's like having a double bed in the back country. They don't make much noise and keep you off the ground so no problem with heat loss from the dirt below. Fully recommend one. And it packs down to not a lot

marmottungsten

« Reply #12 on: 14:24:35, 23/06/18 »
I've got an ancient closed cell Karrimat from the 1980s; sawn off now as I damaged one end of it. Weight only 236g. Still perfectly adequate for me - I used it wild camping up in the Cairngorms last weekend.

I'm contemplating cutting a bit more off, to save a bit more weight - you don't really need the full length.

Why bother when you can have a much more comfortable, full-length, inflatable sleeping mat, that packs down to the size of a coke can, and only weighs 241g, including a micro pump!...The Klymit Intertia X-Frame.

marmottungsten

« Reply #13 on: 14:32:21, 23/06/18 »
Inflatable or Self inflating or closed cell ?
I recently bought a closed cell roll-up sleeping mat from (£5.99 at Lidl now). Its about half the weight but over twice the packed size of my 3/4 Thermarest 'self-infater'.
     I'd be vert interested if people's opinions about these two type of mat.
     There's also the NeoAir XLite which specs really nice but oh! the cost!
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-mat-regular-D2424185.html?colour=151

And then there's this one on offer at the moment. I'm very tempted here. Opinions would be very much appreciated...

Arrrgghhhhh - so much to think about. Are we spoilt for choices?   :-)

No need to get brain ache looking for the perfect sleeping mat...Just get a Klymit Intertia X-Frame and jobs a good-un!.  It's an inexpensive, full-length, ultralight (just 241g...In fact it's actually the lightest full-length inflatable sleeping mat in the the world!) inflatable sleeping mat that packs down to the size of coke can. There is also a heavy-duty version, designed for military use, called the Klymit Intertia X-Frame Recon, which comes in a much lower visibilty "Coyote-Sand" colour...It costs a bit more and weighs about 50g more but still packs down to about the same size as the normal version...It's greater durabilty makes it worth the extra cost IMO. Oh, and it's virtually silent when you move around on it, unlike some, well known sleeping mats!  O0
« Last Edit: 14:39:30, 23/06/18 by marmottungsten »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:39:35, 23/06/18 »
With the Klymit mat, how do you stop being cold at night? With all those gaps does it keep you warm like for example my Thermarest does? And with so many more seams, do you have a greater chance of leaks and punctures than with a traditional mat?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy