Author Topic: Another adventure  (Read 8365 times)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Another adventure
« on: 13:58:52, 27/08/17 »
I'm having a change from my 'train out walk back' routine, done all the paths within a radius of Scun thorpe. I'm driving to Cleveleys, friend will look after my car, train to Carlisle, walk back to car. Train ticket bought, hotel in Carlisle booked, after that I'm on my own. Haven't studied the maps yet, I usually make up an approximate route, but it always changes once I get going. The Cumbria Way looks favourite to start, but I will probably veer off that at Keswick and go straight down to Ambleside, then Windermere and Kendal. That's a rough guess at the moment. Nothing set in stone.

The last long one I did was in March, Newcastle to the Humber Bridge. Two a year is fine by me, with other not so long walks in between. I will probably come back knackered and say never again, but I always do. While the body is still mobile, the spirit is willing.  ;D

Ilona

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Another adventure
« Reply #1 on: 15:46:03, 27/08/17 »
Hi Ilona, that sounds great O0   I'm sure you'll have a few experiences along the way as usual, and it sounds like you'll be heading through some lovely areas....so be sure to keep us updated.

Have fun and take care,
Tracey :) x
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:27:08, 28/08/17 »
Look forward to the TR - boun dto be good. Have fun :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:50:39, 29/08/17 »
Just an idea, you could always try to fit in some of the Settle to Carlisle railway path (in reverse obviously).
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:22:55, 29/08/17 »
Just an idea, you could always try to fit in some of the Settle to Carlisle railway path (in reverse obviously).

Good idea. I had a few days in Settle last month, and went to Carlisle on the train. A couple of years ago I stayed at the pub at Ribblehead on another long walk, the Humber Bridge to Penrith, I think. I love walking underneath the viaduct.

Ilona

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:30:36, 29/08/17 »
Look forward to the TR - boun dto be good. Have fun :)

Hi. I haven't done a proper trip report on here for ages because I put it all on my blog. I prefer to post while I am doing the walking, then I haven't got it all to do when I come back. I used to use Photobucket, but they want paying now, and I'm not giving them any money.

I can move photo's across from my blog to Down the Lane forum, no problem. They have an IMG button, but I don't see one here. I really haven't got time to open another account somewhere else.

I will keep in touch while I walk, from my hotel or B & B room.

Ilona

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:34:48, 29/08/17 »
Good luck on your adventure Ilona.

Beware of Fit Old Men - but rest assured I won't be anywhere near your walk.   :D

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:52:59, 10/09/17 »
At Carlisle, ready for the off. Showers forecast, I think I might get wet.

ilona

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:28:56, 13/09/17 »
Good morning, and it's a wet Wednesday morning. I'm at Patterdale Youth Hostel, after a pretty rough day yesterday. Struggling to find my way across a bog, stumbling through great tufts of reeds and grass, not knowing whether each step is going to sink in the water. Yes it did come over the top of my boots so I had wet feet for most of the day. However I am now dried out ready to see what today brings.   A nice farm B & B on Monday night, but no WIFI. It's looking like my camera batteries have died, or the charger has given up, so I am not able to take photo's at the moment. Will see if there is a camera shop in Windermere.   Heavy rain at the moment, I hope it eases off shortly then I can be on my way. 37 miles done so far in two days from Carlisle. Keep safe, keep dry.  

buntonn

« Reply #9 on: 08:44:18, 13/09/17 »
Sounds like a tough one yesterday, glad you're all dry again and hope today is better. Just looked up camera shop for you and can see this.

Martin's Camera Shop - Black Beck Cottage, Black Beck Wood, Windermere LA23 3LS - 01539 443880 - Open today from 09:30 -> 17:30
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:45:10, 13/09/17 »
Patterdale to Bowness today. 15 miles. It was raining on and off all day, I felt like giving up, the umbrella went up and down more often than a fiddlers elbow. I tried going off road, but with the amount of rain overnight, the waterfalls are gushing down the hills at breakneck speed, the paths are waterlogged, and the becks are widening. Everything is sodden. I've stuck to the road today. That Kirkstone Pass aint half steep. One long hard slog up there. At least there wasn't much traffic. Tonight I'm in a B & B at Bowness.  

Thank you buntonn for that. I asked at Windermere when I went through at 4pm, and someone told me there wasn't one. That sounds like a private house. I haven't got time to go back and look for it.  

Ilona[/size]
« Last Edit: 22:08:16, 14/09/17 by fit old bird »

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:07:37, 14/09/17 »
Bowness to Milnthorpe today. I started on the Dales Way, but went onto the road about a mile further into it. Followed it to Kendal. A bed in a pub tonight. 16 miles, and NO RAIN, plenty of sun.    I bought a new camera in Kendal, because it's going to take a while to order a new battery for the old camera. My three batteries died on me, and I need to take photographs, so I bought a Canon. Ready to go tomorrow. My blog readers will be pleased. It's hard writing trip reports without photo's.   Legs are achy, sore feet, three blisters.  

Ilona

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:35:03, 15/09/17 »
Go for it!

It's good to follow your walk day by day.

The forecast is better after the weekend :)
Skip

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:38:18, 16/09/17 »
Milnthorpe to Morecambe. Morecambe to the finish at Cleveleys. 26 miles done today. Six days and all done. I'll finish off the last day on the blog tomorrow night when I get home.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:59:14, 17/09/17 »
Congratulations on finishing the walk. I'm glad to hear the weather picked up on the last few days. Those villages between Milnthorpe and Morecambe look lovely. I've enjoyed following your progress.  :)

Someone's missing a trick not opening a camera shop in Windermere, I'm sure - it's such a busy little town with tourists.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy