Author Topic: Which LDW for 2019?  (Read 4581 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Which LDW for 2019?
« on: 13:35:32, 31/12/18 »
We’re a bit behind with planning for next year and undecided which LDW to do. We missed doing one this year as we did Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis in 3 separate holidays, all enjoyable but not the same (note to self, still not done trip report). So ruling out Wales, Scotland and the Lakes we thought maybe somewhere further south as the only one we’ve done in the south is the Cotswold way. We’re leaning towards the Two Moors Way or some of the SWCP, probably May/June time. Or the Cleveland Way if we decide to head north again. I will have plenty of time as I am retiring at the end of March  :)  so will be able to walk as much as my hubbie does now! I don’t know much about the Two Moors Way, so if anyone’s walked it what’s it like? We’ve done bits of the SWCP on holidays in Cornwall and Dorset. I did suggest walking around the Isle of Wight but thats probably too short. We’ve also never done any long walks abroad so perhaps thats also a consideration.

What LDWs are others walking? (Maybe I can get some more ideas!)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Which LDW for 2019?
« Reply #1 on: 13:49:39, 31/12/18 »
I am off to walk The French way of the Camino in April/May c.500 miles.  First time walking abroad, whilst going alone there will be loads of other walkers.  Not my normal idea of fun as I prefer the solitude of the Pennine Way but it will be different - guess that the pie and chips will be off as well!  Loved the SWCP if you have 5 weeks to spare, the Cleveland Way combined with the YWW is also a good walk.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:13:51, 31/12/18 »
Are you starting from St Jean Pied du Port or from somewhere else? One tip I can offer if it is St Jean Pied du Port, you can get water there, water at the first refuge and water 11kms after that from a 'hole in the wall' type fountain. The next place is Roncevalles.

I've run out of ideas for the UK, I live on the coast so the idea of walking along the coast doesn't appeal to me at all. The only walk I can think of that might turn me on again is the Pennine Way, a good enough distance and one which at least makes a demand on one.

I'd like to go to France again, so many routes in my head, GR5, GR10 from the Med, half the GR10, half the GR11, It gives me a headache! I'd love to hike the GR20 but its just the faff and cost of getting their and back that stops me, for the prices I've seen I could hike two French mountain routes!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:41:13, 31/12/18 »

Abroad - Robert Louis Stevenson Trail - gloriously rural walk staying in small hotels

Home (south) - Wessex Ridgeway - again very rural, we didn't meet anyone else walking it along the whole route!

(can give more details if anyone would like them)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:54:40, 31/12/18 »

I would second the Robert Louis Stevenson trail, I really enjoyed it.
I'm also wondering about the Two Moors Way this year, as I hardly know Devon at all, but think the weather might be good.

Douger

« Reply #5 on: 15:57:52, 31/12/18 »
Coming from us to get away for a solo hike in Feb not ideal time but will do either Cotswold or South Downs way in 2019.  If I can do a bit of the swcp in 19, it will be a success.  Am I crazy for hiking uk in February?

Stube

« Reply #6 on: 18:01:43, 31/12/18 »
Coming from us to get away for a solo hike in Feb not ideal time but will do either Cotswold or South Downs way in 2019.  If I can do a bit of the swcp in 19, it will be a success.  Am I crazy for hiking uk in February?

I live on the south coast and have walked both the Cotswold and South Downs ways (and parts of the SWCP)

Of the two I would recommend the SDW over the CW - the views are better and camping easier. That said, most UK campsites will be closed in February - most don't open before Easter. Only a handful stay open all year.  The SDW has water taps along its length - the CW does not have any.

The SDW is harder on the feet since about half the time you are walking on bare chalk (slippy if wet & dusty when dry!),  The soil in both cases is shallow clay - so you need skewers rather than v-pegs to anchor your tent. Even after prolonged rain the ground can be difficult to penetrate - it drains rapidly since the underlying rocks are porous.

February is arguably the wettest and coldest month of the year, but snow in southern England is unlikely. Surprisingly, early Feb is often warmer than later in the month. I would expect the nights along the SDW to be marginally warmer than the CW - but wind chill will be greater.

I would not chose February for a LDP - if wet it will be miserable - but you may hit a drier spell  O0
As ever, British weather is notoriously fickle!

Hope this helps!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:34:07, 31/12/18 »
Are you starting from St Jean Pied du Port or from somewhere else? One tip I can offer if it is St Jean Pied du Port, you can get water there, water at the first refuge and water 11kms after that from a 'hole in the wall' type fountain. The next place is Roncevalles.
Yes I am starting at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and walking all the way to Santiago.  Hoping to walk the high route through the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles if the weather is OK.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:33:21, 31/12/18 »
The route over the Pyrenees (GR64, the Route Napoleon) is open, wide and well worn, a few miles walking on, or beside a narrow tarmac road as well. If its sunny and hot, without wind as its was when I did that section, you might find it to be quite a slog! From St Jean Pied du Port to the Refuge is about 10km, and as I remember it was all down hill. For you it will be 10km all uphill! The refuge is very nice and has a balcony over looking a great view.

I personally preferred the little village beyond Roncevalles (Auritz) which is less touristy and has a couple of very nice places to eat and drink. Roncevalles, like St Jean Pied do Port was crawling with tourists!

If you need a camp site its 2 kms further on, through the village and along a very straight road. A boring 2kms but a nice site with a decent restaurant as well.

I hope you have a great time!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:21:02, 03/01/19 »
Was prompted to have a look at a few you tube clips of the Camino ( had never bothered before) but it does look interesting. How do the logistics work? Looks pretty organised. Do you book these hostels well in advance? There seems to be a passport type device you pick up and get signed en-route. Presume you fly in and out. Guess it is lightweight boot territory? No doubt I could research myself but some sage advice would be welcome O0

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:53:34, 03/01/19 »
Was prompted to have a look at a few you tube clips of the Camino ( had never bothered before) but it does look interesting. How do the logistics work? Looks pretty organised. Do you book these hostels well in advance? There seems to be a passport type device you pick up and get signed en-route. Presume you fly in and out. Guess it is lightweight boot territory? No doubt I could research myself but some sage advice would be welcome O0
For the first time I am using a company to arrange the booking of accommodation as not speaking Spanish and again for a first time I am transferring my main pack daily seemed a good idea!  I am concerned at admitting such a lazy way but I am the wrong side of 70 (overweight - doesn't muscle weigh a lot) and it will be hotter than usual!  No more excuses!  The problem of not booking accommodation and staying in the hostels is that you have to leave early to get into them as you can't book in advance.

Apart from the first day through the Pyrenees I think that trail shoes would be best especially as boots are likely to make my feet hotter than usual.  As my luggage is being transferred I will be able to take both.  Whilst there are many good things about the walk I am looking forward to the free red wine fountain after leaving Estella!  I don't know why as I don't like red wine but it is free!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:54:20, 03/01/19 »
I've never tried the Spanish Camino and my August 2018 walk along part of it confirmed to me I will now never have a go. When I was hiking to St Jean Pied du Port, the number of people coming at me as they headed towards Spain looked similar to my cities main shopping street crowd on a Saturday morning. I like people a lot, but not that many!

I have assumed because the Camino is so popular, that along its route the prices for everything is higher than along other routes?

I think your idea of trail shoes is a good one. Even walking from St Jean Pied du Port is easy enough walking, unless the terrain changes a lot beyond Bourges I can't see the need for hiking boots at all.

And while you are on the trail do try the Basque Tart, especially the blueberry version!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:59:29, 03/01/19 »
And while you are on the trail do try the Basque Tart!
How many did you find? ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:42:35, 03/01/19 »
I think GW means Gâteau Basque https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/gateau-basque  although you could be right.
Now if want a decent walk, the GR10 starts at St Jean de Luz and is much more interesting than the Camino. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_10_(France)
Solvitur Ambulando

dank86

« Reply #14 on: 22:04:00, 04/01/19 »
This year my big one is the tour du Mont blanc in July but I'm also looking at doing the beacons way in April too mostly as a test run lol

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy