Author Topic: Progression to Helvellyn  (Read 1385 times)

up_north

Progression to Helvellyn
« on: 09:09:50, 08/06/18 »
Hi all

We're fairly new to fell/hill climbing.  So far we've done Loughrigg Fell, Lautrig Fell, the three Yorkshire peaks and Catbells. I'd love to climb Helvellyn via Striding Edge but appreciate that it will be a big jump from what we've done so far.

Could anyone recommend a couple more peaks that would build us up to Helvellyn?

Thanks.

Ian

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Progression to Helvellyn
« Reply #1 on: 10:16:30, 08/06/18 »
I'd just go for Hellveyn

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:06:41, 08/06/18 »
+1 - go for it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:27:35, 08/06/18 »
If you have never done any narrow arêtes you may want to do a few easier ones first. One that springs to mind is Whiteside - Hopegill Head. It is an enjoyable route that prepared me to do Striding Edge as I'm not that good with heights. You don't say if you have a problem with heights so I don't know if this is relevant.
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #4 on: 18:34:50, 08/06/18 »
April’s advice is spot on. I’d do exactly as she has advised.

I did Striding Edge today from Helvellyn. It is rather good.... and I ran across as much of the top most arête as I could. I’m sure someone will post a video on YouTube of the lunatic in red T shirt leaping along the top!!! 😆

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:20:17, 09/06/18 »
...You don't say if you have a problem with heights ...
A very good point.

Striding Edge is a narrow steep-sided ridge separating two glacial valleys (the term for such ridges is arete). It is an 'exposed' route in the mountaineering sense of 'exposed' .

A route or path is described as 'exposed' if there is a high risk of a fall because of the steepness of the terrain - such exposure on a route is usually obvious but it is not uniformly defined in guide books or websites.
Some people have little fear of exposure to precipitous drops but many other people don't have a good head for heights. It is sometimes hard to predict how you'll react to exposure. The only way is to try it for yourself.

Halfway along Striding Edge is not the best place to find you are fearful of heights so as April says, work up to it with some easier ridge walks.

Also, although most of Striding Edge is easy to traverse, there are a few awkward places where some basic scrambling is required - the 'chimney' halfway along and the steep exit up to Helvellyn itself are examples.

There are lots of online illustrated accounts of Striding Edge and lots of YouTube videos - have a look at a few to get an idea of what you will be up against.
Skip

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:57:03, 10/06/18 »

Unless you are afraid of heights, just go for it. There are never any difficulties that cannot be avoided, and it is a great airy walk.

Many years ago, my cautious mother managed Striding Edge without any bother when she was 50. We balked at descending Swirral Edge though, as there was a steep bank of snow to descend; returned by the easy Keppel Cove path instead.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

zuludog

« Reply #7 on: 16:50:23, 10/06/18 »
I have done Striding Edge several times, and it depends -

If the weather is good, warm, sunny, clear, and you have plenty of time there should be no problems. Just take your time, go carefully, and understand that you will be in for a longer day than for those other hills you've done

The problems come if the weather is bad - rain, wind, snow & ice, mist, then you need to be extra careful
Or if you're with a group of faster people, and constantly rushing and scrabbling to keep up
Or if you feel you have to get down by, say 5 o'clock because that's what you've always done
Just take plenty of food & water, enjoy it, and in summer it won't get dark till well into the evening
Don't be a hero. If you find you're nervous be willing to come off the absolute crest of the ridge; there are lots of minor paths & ledges

It's worth brushing up on navigation to be sure of getting off the summit safely

We're not yet at midsummer, you could try some other ridges first. Besides those mentioned, try the east ridge of Bannerdale Crags; Wainwright Northern Fells, Bannerdale Crags 6

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:21:38, 12/06/18 »
If you want to try a big mountain up a somewhat easier ridge, why not go for Blencathra via Hall's Fell Ridge.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy