Author Topic: Jaggers Clough - What's it like  (Read 5742 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Jaggers Clough - What's it like
« on: 16:42:58, 28/04/09 »
I was thinking of doing a walk around the eastern side of Kinder and was considering going up Jaggers Clough.

From the few pictures I've found it looks like yes you have to walk along the stream bed for a stretch and that it may also be full of ferns and other plantlife making progress more difficult than needs be.

So has anyone walked it? What was it like?
« Last Edit: 13:13:55, 29/04/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

radder

• Veteran Member
Re: Jaggers Clough - What's it like
« Reply #1 on: 17:44:33, 28/04/09 »
Hi dazza
Think you my be struggling on this one. I've been walking on kinder for a good few years and when you mentioned Jaggers Clough I had to get the map out and check where it was. I've never climbed it.
Only thing you can do is try it and see. If it gets to bad turn round and go up by the pleasent Crookstone Knoll. By far the easiest and most pleasant way onto Kinder. And some great views over Ladybower reservoir.
If memory serves me right at the point of crossing Jaggers Clough stream and looking up I can't ever remember seeing a path next to the stream so I would say It would be tough going.
If you do the walk if you can report back on what it is like, I may try it myself one day.

Mark

scenic

« Reply #2 on: 22:54:51, 28/04/09 »
Found these courtesy of Google...

and

Not much path, but doesn't look steep. As Radder suggests, try it... and if you survive let us know. (if you don't survive, get someone to let us know on your behalf  :D)
Life without spice is like food without flavour

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:09:50, 29/04/09 »
Radder, I didn't think there was much of a path, with some reports mentioning going into water waist deep (for kids anyway)! As for turning around the more serious watery stuff is apparently very near the end in term of walking in it, so turning back may be a bit off putting.

Scenic, those are similar to some of the pictures I've found as well with some rock clambering at the end. It also seems to be crowded with shoulder high plants in places as well. Shoulder high anything (except maybe beer  :D) doesn't rank high on my fun list.

Hmmm. I may have to skip it for now and go up via Crookstone instead, especially as my walking bud is only just getting back into it after a prolonged injury so this may be a bit much.

I may try it alone (as it's obviously do-able from the photographs) after a dry spell so the waters not as much of a problem, that and I don't own any wellies! Also I suppose if I go via Crookstone I may get a view down to assess what it's like.
« Last Edit: 13:13:23, 29/04/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:10:53, 29/04/09 »
Waist deep in water  :o think I will pass on that one.
There is another nice way on to kinder for Ollerbrook Booth and that is the ascent of Ollerbrook clough.
Only did this once and was something I meant to do again. It follows the stream on a small path and is a lovely walk and is very quiet.
Dazza I've noticed on your trip reports ( excellent they are to  O0 I will read Lathkill Dale one later) That a lot of your walks are mainly southern Kinder.
Have you ever explored the northern section with the ascent of Fairbrook Naze and Blackden Blook from the snake road. Both routes are very quiet compared to Grindsbrook and to me offer the best ascents on to Kinder with Fairbrook being my favorite.

Looking up to Fairbrook Naze

Ollerbrook Clough

Mark
« Last Edit: 20:20:54, 29/04/09 by radder »

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:16:31, 29/04/09 »
I suppose for adults it'd be knee deep in water. Still not pleasant, I'll think about it after a few dry weeks - so 2013 then  :)

Thanks for that I'll keep Ollerbrook Clough in mind, it may be useful for a more rounded walk on Kinders Eastern fringe. Can you get all the way to the plateau? My OS map shows it stops short, but google maps suggests it goes all the way.

At the moment yes we've stuck to the south of Kinder, partly due to it's locality to Edale and it's facilities but also because we're repeating some stuff the weather let us down on previously. Rushup - Lose Hill for example is one walk we want to repeat in better weather, not Kinder but you get the idea.

We will be looking at the northern edges and approaches soon no doubt (prep for the lakes) and one thing I'd love to do is the circuit round the plateau, ideally finishing as the sun goes down so I get a sunset just before heading down the ladder again (which I feel would be the safest route in the dark as it's hard to miss and lightly coloured due to the stones).

Still so much to do (Roaches, Chrome Hill) and never enough weekends. Still I'll write them up when I tackle them, and thanks for your comments.
Dazza
--------

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:33:29, 29/04/09 »
Hi dazza

kinder round is a great walk but very tough. clocking in at around 18 miles and around 8 hours to complete.
To be on Kinder at sunset is a great experience. Many a time I've sat at Kinder Downfall watching the sunset. Handy to have a head torch in your pack  O0 as you make your way down Jaccobs Ladder in the dark.
I was up Kinder In February as the sun was setting it turned everything a golden orange it was magicial sight. here a few pics of that day

kinder Downfall

Kinders western edge

nearly time for that head torch to come out.

Enjoy

Mark

Robby

« Reply #7 on: 00:27:39, 30/04/09 »
Can't you can feel the warmth from those pics.

Lying back, couple of beers, contemplating your life as you watch the sun fall round the edge of the earth. 
Soul settling stuff.

Magical photos dude O0.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:56:53, 30/04/09 »
Truly amazing pictures.

I think I'll be doing a sunset for definite now.

Dazza
--------

scenic

« Reply #9 on: 23:32:23, 03/05/09 »
One thing I like about this forum is that it gives you new ideas to try out..... So today I've been out a-wandering in the Peak, along a route that took in Jaggers Clough.

Jaggers Clough is a fine way to ascend to Kinder, a lovely feeling of enclosure, a route that twists and turns giving frequent new views. There is a clear path for most of the way, though at one stage it seems you have no choice but to walk along the stream-bed. Surefootedness and a sense of balance at times required, but it's no more difficult than the upper reaches of Grindsbrook.

Very little water in the clough today which no doubt helped. Certainly no sign of any opportunity to go knee or waist deep.
Life without spice is like food without flavour

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:33:22, 04/05/09 »
Hi Scenic,

That sounds good. I'll definitely add this to the list.

First off though I'm going to use Radders reccommended route up, Ollerbrook Clough. Then take in the eastern portion of Kinder including the Mad Womans stones. Then hop across the plateau at it's narrowest point and head west to go down Grindslow Knoll.
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy