Author Topic: Trossachs  (Read 1946 times)

skightley

Trossachs
« on: 17:10:21, 01/06/17 »
Hi All,

A friend of mine is going up to the Rest and Be Thankful / Ardgartan in a few weeks to do some fieldwork and I am going up with him to go climb some mountains!

I have about 5 days and my end goal is to finish up the top of Ben More before getting the train from Crianlarich to Tarbet (where I started from). Would any of you have any good suggestions on a route?  I’m aware of the lack of footpaths in the area but I think its doable.

My initial route (not studied it in detail, but its an idea), is following the Cowal Way north to Coiregrogain (where it takes a sharp left then double backs on itself), I would continue north west up to just before Loch Sloy Dam. From here I would go up Ben Vorlich, Stob nan Coinnich…., then I aim to somehow cross the River Falloch and pick up the West Highlands Way to Inverarnan. Then I would head south east to Beinn Chabhair, Beinn A Chroin, Cruach Ardrain, Stob Binnein, Ben More, then down to the train station.

I know this is a ridiculous undertaking, but ridiculous undertakings seem to be my speciality recently. I chose this route because “theres some high points on a map lets go climb them” sort of idea. But if any of you guys know more about the area / nicer peaks to go up etc I would love to know more.

Many thanks :D 

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Trossachs
« Reply #1 on: 03:24:50, 02/06/17 »
Not a recognised route but I suppose if you have five days then it is doable. Hard days mined you.

skightley

« Reply #2 on: 14:22:13, 02/06/17 »
There isn't a recognized route anywhere around there. Yeah, its not going to be easy, but really up for the challenge.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:02:13, 02/06/17 »
Then I would head south east to Beinn Chabhair, Beinn A Chroin, Cruach Ardrain, Stob Binnein, Ben More, then down to the train station.

Many thanks :D

That's a hard three days walking on their own.

skightley

« Reply #4 on: 20:24:42, 03/06/17 »

That's a hard three days walking on their own.

I worked it out, again only roughly, to be about three days walking (about 9-10 miles a day) in total. So I think to to do it in four or five days would be okay.

Do you have any other better ideas?

EDIT: That sounds really rude of me - sorry, that's a genuine question hahaha!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:44:43, 04/06/17 »
When I said that's a hard three days walk I wasn't thinking of the mileage but the terrain. There's a lot of very rough going on those hills.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy