Author Topic: TR The Keswick Railway path and camping at Hollows Farm Sat 28 Oct 17  (Read 3154 times)

April

• Veteran Member
With the tops covered in clag and strong winds forecasted we did a valley walk and as we hadn't visited the Keswick railway path since the floods we came to see how things were and try the new permitted path.

The start of the railway path in Keswick

Autumnal colours

On the boardwalk section

Damaged riverbank

One of the bridges

It was good to see the bridges that were still intact and undamaged by Desmond

A sad sight

This was where one of the bridges has gone, it was upsetting to see. We’d walked past the new permitted path signpost to continue on the railway path as far as we could. The path is fenced off but the riverbank can be accessed to the left to view the damage. We retraced our steps back to the signpost

Beefy filming at the permitted path

The path leads steeply upwards through the woods

We turned right at a waymarker arrow and traversed through the woods

The traversing path narrows in places and is beside a bit of a drop so care is needed in a few spots. We stopped for some lunch in the trees then dropped down a stepped path to the riverbank at a path junction. I'd hoped it would join the railway path after one of the downed bridges. We came to a sign saying the permitted route wasn't in use because of lambing. What a shame, we could have joined the railway path to Brundholme. Instead we climbed up to the other path and got to the Brundholme Road

On Brundholm Road

There was another sign here at a fence barring the way indicating the way left along the road to Keswick was closed. I think it is due to landslides. We could see by the footprints that walkers had ignored this and had walked around the fence to the right of it.

A space where the bridge was at Brundholme before Desmond arrived

There was another sign at the gate at Brundholme barring access to the railway path because of lambing. It is a shame because access here from the permitted route to Brundholme would open up most of the railway path. It seems it is not just the damaged bridges that is stopping use of the railway path, the landowner is denying access to it too  :-\ The route as it is now is still a nice walk to do but it does have a few ups and downs so it might not suit those who only like walking on the flat. The railway path is such a miss, it could be used by everyone on wheels and was an easy flat route suitable for everyone.

On the way to Threlkeld

After another steep bit up to Wescoe Farm we arrived in Threlkeld and got the bus to Keswick then a bus to Grange. The wind was going to be strong overnight so for the second week in a row we camped on a campsite, this time at Hollows Farm. We had the Woodland Field to ourselves and it felt like a wild camp. We had some tea and it was dark before we knew it. We opened some wine and wondered how strong the wind would get. Apart from a few gusts it was sheltered where we were although we could hear the wind howling above us. Our route was Keswick - railway path - permitted route to Brundholme - Threlkeld 8.5km with 338m ascent. From Grange bus stop to the campsite and then to Hollows Farm add 2.5km. We’d walked to the camping area first to see how many people were camping first (none  :))

We woke while it was still dark and had our breakfast. We'd heard a male deer grunting very close to us during the night along with owls and other animal sounds that we weren't sure of. The clocks had gone back and we had an extra hour to play with. I got up to go to the loo and stopped still beside the tent. I saw two deer near the yurts. They'd seen me and I expected them to scarper. I whispered to Beefy we had deer in the field. The deer looked at me for a bit then they carried on eating the grass.

The MSR and the deer in front of the Yurts

We'd both took some photos and I needed to pay that visit and I started walking to the loos. I expected the deer to leg it but they looked up at me a few times then carried on eating the grass. Astonishing, they must be used to people camping here.

A close up shot but I missed a bit of the deer in my hurry to get the shot

It began nibbling the grass again

I walked back to the tent again, still expecting the deer to run off

The deer kept looking up at me but stayed put

I walked on the other side of the campsite hoping to get some more close up shots but this did spook them. Beefy had gone to the loo too and they must have felt surrounded and they walked from the campsite area into the bracken behind the toilet block.

Into the bracken

I’d climbed up a hillock and where we'd pitched the last time we'd camped here to get closer to them again and get more shots

The deer smelled the air as Beefy arrived on the hillock  :D

The last shot of the deer, we were getting cold by now, the wind was bitter

We had planned to leave the site at 8am and walk to Keswick but watching the deer and getting photos and footage had been more important so we did a shorter walk.

The MSR on Hollows Farm campsite

We packed our things away and started walking to Grange for the bus, we were getting the early bus home from Keswick. It was really cold despite the blue skies and sunshine with the very cold wind. We walked by Hollows Farm along the footpath that leads to Manesty but turned right down to Grange. Better than the road we thought.

Castle Crag

Nitting Haws

Catbells and Skiddaw from Grange

Grange Bridge

We had a brew and some food here while we waited for the bus. What a nice weekend it was, shame we had to leave early on Sunday. It was a short walk 2.4km with not much ascent. An unexpectedly fabulous time camping at Hollows Farm, shame it closes for the winter at the end of October.
« Last Edit: 00:15:29, 31/10/17 by April »
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
great pics and write up Ape' ...  O0
those deer and the lovely colours on the trees are stunning,
what an excellent weekend, it was like wild camping having the place to ourselves ...  :)

The deer smelled the air as Beefy arrived on the hillock 

Oi.....  >:(   
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great report. Shame about the railway path, it was great for older people or those with mobility problems.

Amazing shots of the deer, very tame.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics and write up April.  How lucky were you both with those deer?  O0

I've walked the permissive paths through the woods - particularly the steep steps  :D  - a lovely walk in dry weather but I can imagine a bit bum squeaky in places after rain.  Such a shame about the bridges though   :(

fernman

• Veteran Member
" We came to a sign saying the permitted route wasn't in use because of lambing."

In October?

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Wonderful photos of the deer    :)   

April

• Veteran Member
what an excellent weekend, it was like wild camping having the place to ourselves ...  :)

It was very nice  :)

Amazing shots of the deer, very tame.

Thanks Ridge  :)

How lucky were you both with those deer?  O0

We couldn't believe they were staying put. We have said many a time trying to get shots of deer that we wish they knew we weren't going to hurt them. These were very used to people it seems  :)

" We came to a sign saying the permitted route wasn't in use because of lambing."

In October?

Yes in October which seems strange. The first sign said the permissive route was closed, it was private land and the field was used for lambing. Reading on the LDNP website just now I see some of the path surfaces have been washed away on the railway path so it may be closed because of this. The landowner maybe doesn't see the need to grant access over his land because the railway path is still closed in this area and it isn't just the bridges that are gone?  This would make sense.

Wonderful photos of the deer    :)   

Thanks Dovegirl  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Lovely pictures - you must look a lot less threatening than me - every time I see deer they leg it!  Love the final picture - Autumn light is wonderful on the odd occasion the sky turns blue.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Lovely pictures and TR, April.  :)  Those photos of the deer are wonderful, such beautiful animals - must have been a magical moment seeing them like that.  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
Looking at your photos I could sense the magic of your encounter with the deer - lovely.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

April

• Veteran Member
you must look a lot less threatening than me - every time I see deer they leg it!

Normally the same for me, they were just used to people being around otherwise they would have shifted  :)

Looking at your photos I could sense the magic of your encounter with the deer - lovely.

It was magical, we will remember it for a long time  :)

In October?

I have now looked at the LDNP website properly  :-[ The path is closed near Brundholme, indicated by a red line on the map of the latest alternate routes. http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/caringfor/localcommunities/northern-lake-district-area/keswick-to-threlkeld-railway-path

I thought it was odd the landowner would be denying access when there has always been (as far as I can remember) permissive use of the paths in Brundholme Woods and access to the Railway Path where there is no official right of way. The landowner gave permission for the new path so I feel a bit daft now knowing its the railway path that is damaged and that's why the routes are closed off :-[
Hate will never win

Percy

• Veteran Member
Shame about the railway path, it was great for older people or those with mobility problems.
What are you saying about April & Beefy?  ;D

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
An interesting report and lovely photos as usual April. Well done  O0

I enjoy a walk where my planned route has to be altered for reasons beyond my control, keeps the grey cells working and sometimes it's a more interesting route  :)

Regards Keith

videoman

Great photos and TR, thanks for sharing.

henryb

• Veteran Member
Great report and photos April O0  I've done that walk near Latrigg two years ago and this report brought back happy memories. Do you know if the winter timetable for stagecoach is out yet? Thanks, Henry

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy