Author Topic: Walking whilst its snowing  (Read 1971 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Walking whilst its snowing
« on: 10:34:35, 28/11/17 »
I am thinking of buying eyewear to use when I walk in snow, I note that skiers use a one piece lens. What sort is best to buy and what is recommened by Forum members please? For hiking are they even worth the purchase of such an item?

redeye

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking whilst its snowing
« Reply #1 on: 10:46:45, 28/11/17 »
I am thinking of buying eyewear to use when I walk in snow, I note that skiers use a one piece lens. What sort is best to buy and what is recommened by Forum members please? For hiking are they even worth the purchase of such an item?
My lad has just bought a pair for when he goes to the alps working and also skiing  for about £150 although Aldi are doing some for abou £8!! I just wear sunglasses that cover the eye. 
https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-ladies-ski-%26-snowboard-goggles/p/079146182414801
« Last Edit: 12:32:18, 28/11/17 by redeye »

motorlaunch

« Reply #2 on: 11:04:44, 28/11/17 »
If you are walking in the Alps with strong sun you should get something with cat 4 lenses. They can be glasses or goggles but should be designed to also reduce the light coming from the side. I use a pair of Julbo glasses which have side screens to block the light.

Rather be walking

« Reply #3 on: 12:10:14, 28/11/17 »
I just wear wrap round sunglasses with UV400 got them off eBay for £8.
But then we don't get much snow here on the south coast  :)

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

MikeW

« Reply #4 on: 12:56:31, 28/11/17 »
I use £3.99 CYCLING sunglasses from Decathlon unless its dark and snowy or very snowy then it's ski goggles.
Don't buy the cheapest ski goggles (spend £20-£25 up to whatever you can afford / justify).
As a minimum they need to be double lens with vents to prevent fogging or they will just fog up and be useless.
Many allow you to wear prescription glasses underneath.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arenberg-cycling-sunglasses-category-3-grey-id_8118521.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/g-tmax-400-bad-weather-ski-goggles-white-id_8374691.html

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:08:54, 28/11/17 »
For winter walking in the Highlands goggles are essential. A couple of years ago a friend and I came across a party from a well known public school, they'd wandered five miles off route on the Cairngorm plateau because they couldn't see where they were going. It was windy and drifting snow was being blown all over the place, but not so bad as to spoil our walk. We were wearing goggles so could see the path. We lead them off the hill.
I use Sinner goggles, double lens with vents cost about £40. 

Depends where you normally go walking, might be overkill on the South Downs.   

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:12:30, 28/11/17 »
I carry ski goggles not just for snow but especially for hail.

I did buy some good quality wrap round sun glasses but these just steam up and I can't see where I am going anyway!

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:19:51, 28/11/17 »
I am thinking of buying eyewear to use when I walk in snow ... are they even worth the purchase of such an item?

Definitely a wise investment. Protection against driving snow, wind-whipped spindrift and hail. Also provide relief from driving rain.
Skip

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:05:36, 29/11/17 »
Safety goggles. Screwfix, £4.99

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:29:11, 29/11/17 »
Last December I was walking on Dartmoor when it was blowing a mix of freezing rain (literally coated my jacket in an ice shell) and snow. My right eye got so cold it stopped working properly and I thought I had a detached retina LOL - black "curtain" across the vision. I was worried as I'd heard you need to get to a hospital fast when that happens and since my mum has it, it's not out of the question. 30 mins out of the wind and snow, my eye warmed up enough and it was fine. Wish I'd had some goggles then.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:27:03, 29/11/17 »
I've added goggles to my shopping list. I hate cold wind in my eyes if walking into it.]

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:16:00, 30/11/17 »
My late brother, bought me a high quality pair of Bolle sunglasses, with the handy wrap around blinkers to protect your eyes whilst walking in snow and other bright conditions.
Their beautifully made, and these eye side protectors can be easily removed, leaving a pair of quality sunglasses.
I am not sure whether they are still available, but Bolle are one of the leading manufacturers of eye wear for snow conditions.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:30:36, 30/11/17 »
Whilst grey tinted goggles are suitable for bright light, yellow tinted goggles are best for the flat light conditions that occur when it is snowing or overcast. Get ones with as much ventilation as possible to prevent fogging. I also carry an anti misting spray and a soft cloth as plastic lenses scratch easily. See my avatar picture taken in a blizzard on the Pennines.
Solvitur Ambulando

leedsdog

« Reply #13 on: 21:03:48, 10/12/17 »
If you are talking about goggles. I wrote a blog post about buying goggles for winter mountaineering a few years ago.

Google 'goggles for winter walking' and I think it comes up as number 2. Or go to the Lupine adventure website and search on there.

Andy

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy