Author Topic: Budget Ultralight Rain Kilt Anyone?  (Read 2148 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Budget Ultralight Rain Kilt Anyone?
« on: 20:29:27, 09/12/17 »
Found this video on YouTube which may be of interest to a few people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNjmsZubb3s

3F UL Rain Kilt @ £7.24 plus £2.59 delivery from China = £9.83 delivered https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cycling-Camping-Hiking-Rain-Pants-Lightweight-Waterproof-Rain-Skirt-65g/32835163314.html

Review and discussion available here http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/3f-ul-rain-kilt-review.3937/

I only have one question.......what the hell were they thinking when they chose the colour for the material?  :o

I'm sure a lot more people might be interested in giving one a try if it was also available in black, blue or green.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Budget Ultralight Rain Kilt Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 10:28:33, 10/12/17 »
I've used a rain skirt for more than two years now and would never return to waterproof trousers. I started with a purchased one, very light material, it worked fine except that in windy weather it would flap around and my knees would get wet, I solved this by sewing little weights (from Hobbycraft) along the bottom hem. It also used three shorts strips of velcro down the vertical edges, it works but does not do so automatically.

I then decided to make my own skirt and bought a slightly heavier material, this is much better, I now no longer worry about securing the vertical sides, I just use a wider overlap of material.

For me the video looks interesting but I would not be content with a fixed velcro waistband, my present and previous skirt was and is secured by an elasticated top and the material is bunched up as well, it makes the wearing of it so much more comfortable.

In order for it to work well, the bottom hem needs weights to stop it blowing around in the wind, thought also has to be given as to how to stop the material opening up to the elements, this happens when you have to take big steps say across rocks, up and over stiles, etc and to be properly effective gaiters are essential otherwise you get wet feet, socks and the lower area of your walking trousers.

My resistance to rain works like roofing tiles, waterproof jacket, rainskirt, gaitors, water drips off onto the ground!

Its still a product that can be refined further, I suspect the the most effective skirt would be an all round pleated one? The most important issue to solve is when big strides have to be made.

Lemmy

« Reply #2 on: 11:24:36, 10/12/17 »
The three considerations are;

Budget price

Light weight

Good performance.

Being realistic I think you'll only get any two of those attributes.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:43:53, 10/12/17 »
Which is the third one that is not OK?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:24:30, 11/12/17 »
Thanks Kinkyboots. I decided to buy a rainskirt from aliexpress. The cheapest other rainskirt I can see on line is just over £22. It could be useful as a spare, or if the waterproof marial is fine I might be able to adapt it to my specification? A very good price!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:28:14, 11/12/17 »
To Lemmy. I hope you don't mind me asking but is your photo a picture of you, or is it the picture of the pop star who died a way back?

Doddy

« Reply #6 on: 19:25:02, 11/12/17 »

I have used the ULA rain wrap for about eight years; the real budget wrap is a bin liner or rubble sack modified with end open; works a treat. The ULA wraps has Velcro at the sides so you can take it off  Full Monty style :-)

Lemmy

« Reply #7 on: 18:44:51, 12/12/17 »
To Lemmy. I hope you don't mind me asking but is your photo a picture of you, or is it the picture of the pop star who died a way back?

The rocker who sadly passed away late in 2015, of who I'm a huge fan.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy