Author Topic: Walking in a group?  (Read 4473 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking in a group?
« Reply #30 on: 18:04:47, 14/01/18 »
Wonder if he has to wear clothes in prison  :-\

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:12:20, 14/01/18 »

only in the showers......for his own protection  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Addingham

« Reply #32 on: 18:13:52, 14/01/18 »

Apparently not. :D  He was in solitary most of the time plus he was a first on a video link to court due to his nudity in clink. :)  Spent a lot of jail time that fella. :(

aw6334

« Reply #33 on: 07:26:55, 15/01/18 »
aw6334, 2 miles an hour is fast for me  ;D   I did a try before you buy with a local Ramblers group and they certainly weren't slow!  I struggled to keep up, couldn't hold a conversation I was so out of puff and, as for seeing any of our lovely countryside?  It went by in a blur.  Not what this walking hobby's about for me.  As a group, they were lovely people but, needless to say, I've not been back!  Anyway, they managed to catch the earlier bus which was the reason for the ramp up in pace.  I couldn't help wondering what the point of the walk was if all they were doing was rushing to get back  :-\   Horses for courses though.  Just reading through this forum shows how many different reasons for getting out for a walk there is.

I think it's all about finding the right balance. I like to walk at a decent pace, but stop and smell the roses and admire the view as well :) . I don't like the sort of walking when you're all out of breath all the time, I like to be able to hold a conversation - if not, you might just as well by on your own anyway!  I'm going to try a few different groups to see how I feel.

Edgarr

« Reply #34 on: 15:36:37, 15/01/18 »
Mel:

Johnnyp and Edgarr, is this the guy you saw?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29800016 [nofollow]

I am aware of the naked rambler in your link but he's not the bloke I saw. I would be hard pushed to describe him (other than naked!) but I do remember that he didn't have a long beard and was probably clean shaven.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 19:25:51, 15/01/18 »
To be fair, I didn't think it would actually be him himself but it does raise a more worrying thought that he's not the only, ahem, err, fully liberated, rambler out there  :o   ;D

Steve922

« Reply #36 on: 23:36:45, 15/01/18 »
I've never walked in a group but met plenty, especially in the Peak District. The meeting usually takes about 10 minutes and goes like this :-

Feel the peacel....
.....yak   yak   yak  yak yaK yaK yAK yAK YAK YAK YAKK YAKK YAK YAK YAk YAk Yak Yak yak  yak   yak   yak.......
Feel the peace!.....

Edgarr

« Reply #37 on: 16:19:31, 16/01/18 »
Thanks to everyone for all of your responses. I can honestly say I'm split down the middle! The consensus seems to be that group walking can be mildly irritating but potentially rewarding if you can get past the chatter. Also, it depends on the group - there may be huge differences between groups, so it might be an idea to try all of the groups in my area before I come to a decision about officially joining one.

Or maybe I'll just keep walking on my own and relish the peace and quiet  ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:45:35, 16/01/18 »
Groups can definitely vary widely!  At least if you give them a go you can make a more informed decision whether or not solo is best.

Worcester John

« Reply #39 on: 21:36:19, 24/01/18 »
If you want to try something different, come along to one of  our rambles.  The Disabled Ramblers will open you eyes to what is possible on a mobility scooter.  We are always looking for able-bodied people to walk with us and give the odd bit of help pushing scooters through deep mud!  :)
Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

aw6334

« Reply #40 on: 15:03:59, 25/01/18 »
If you want to try something different, come along to one of  our rambles.  The Disabled Ramblers will open you eyes to what is possible on a mobility scooter.  We are always looking for able-bodied people to walk with us and give the odd bit of help pushing scooters through deep mud!  :)

Ha, I might take you up on that offer one day, but maybe I'll wait for the mud to dry up first  ;D

Worcester John

« Reply #41 on: 17:18:50, 25/01/18 »
Then you will miss the fun  :)
Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy