Author Topic: Footwear Help Pls!!  (Read 1883 times)

Jackbrad

Footwear Help Pls!!
« on: 10:44:56, 14/05/18 »
Hi all I did a 14k walk yesterday, in new fitted trespass walking boots that had the ankle support.

These have rubbed badly and both ankles are bruised and swollen.  I was wearing decent merino wool socks.

How do I stop this happening every time? Different shoes? Different socks? Strap the ankles?

Thanks in advance!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Footwear Help Pls!!
« Reply #1 on: 11:22:29, 14/05/18 »
Maybe laced too tightly at the top, or they don't fit properly or your feet/ankles aren't used to walking.  Just some reasons to consider.
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:54:59, 14/05/18 »

Did you get them from a walking shop ?
Were you measured properly ?
Did you walk up and down the ramps thumping your feet ?
Did you try different brands / models
Did you wear them for 12 hours per day for a few days at home before going for a hike ?

There are so many variables that it is not really easy to answer your question.

Did they chafe where the top of the boots touch your ankle ?
Did they rub your ankle bones ?
Was it both the 'inside & outside' of your ankles ?
Were both feet affected the same ?

I would suggest that if you try them again using the same criteria you will get the same result.

Sussamb may well be onto something with lacing too tightly - but - it depends on where they are hurting you.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:05:44, 14/05/18 »
It's difficult to comment or to offer specific advice without knowing the model of the boot.

It sounds to me as though you've made the very common mistake of taking the boots straight out of the box and using them without taking the time to slowly break the boots in properly first so that they adjust, soften and conform to the shape of your feet over a period of time.

These may be worth a read https://www.trespass.com/advice/walking-boot-care/ and https://www.trespass.com/advice/walking-boots-guide/

As already pointed out simply lacing and tightening the boots differently may help. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing different lacing techniques but basically you divide the boot into lower and upper sections and use different lace tensions in each section - but importantly neither section should be too tight.

zuludog

« Reply #4 on: 17:33:07, 14/05/18 »
Whether the boots are leather or synthetic the treatment is the same

Treat them with some sort of leather grease and then knead, fold, or 'work' the offending areas with your hands & fingers to soften them

Walk through streams as much as possible, getting them soaked, and walking in them wet for a day. This will stretch & form the boot to your feet
It's summer, so there won't be a problem with cold feet after the initial soaking

If the boots rub around the top of your ankles, protect them by smearing a sanitary towel (I kid you not!) with antiseptic cream or Vaseline and taping it in place. This tip was given to me by a chiropodist

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:44:25, 14/05/18 »

If the boots rub around the top of your ankles, protect them by smearing a sanitary towel (I kid you not!) with antiseptic cream or Vaseline and taping it in place. This tip was given to me by a chiropodist

I'm not sure I'd want to be doing that every morning and after every Lunch stop.
 4x sanitary towels (I assume you mean the 'external' ones) per day - I'd be calling in at Boots (the Chemist) every few days.

I'd rather buy some boots that fit properly.

zuludog

« Reply #6 on: 18:25:04, 14/05/18 »

I'm not sure I'd want to be doing that every morning and after every Lunch stop.
 4x sanitary towels (I assume you mean the 'external' ones) per day - I'd be calling in at Boots (the Chemist) every few days.

I'd rather buy some boots that fit properly.

Yes, you should have boots that fit properly; but as these apparently do not, you must do your best to improve what you already have

The sanitary towels, or any other padding, Moleskin, Compeed or whatever should only be used as a temporary measure. If you have to use them every time, you should consider if it's time to cut your losses & get some more boots

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 15:39:24, 31/05/18 »
At Customs I have been asked to turn out my pack, to explain the tampons as firelighters, condom as spare water carrier and now sanitary towels for boot tops should raise a smile.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:09:29, 31/05/18 »
If they were new to start with it could be that you have not 'run' them in properly yet? I wear leather boots and each time I buy a new pair I wear them, if I can, on a daily basis for a while to get the boot to adapt to mt feeet and ankles. Mine at present fit like a glove, but saying that on my last walk I got a blister under each foot, my first ones for over two years.

zuludog

« Reply #9 on: 16:22:21, 31/05/18 »
At Customs I have been asked to turn out my pack, to explain the tampons as firelighters, condom as spare water carrier and now sanitary towels for boot tops should raise a smile.

Don't forget the Vaseline, for blisters & firelighters

dartmoorrambler

« Reply #10 on: 17:04:52, 31/05/18 »
What type of boot are they? leather, fabric?
Blisters on the ankle are caused by movement between the boot and the skin.
Is it an up and down movement? Does your heel stay tight on the sole of the boot as you walk up a steep hill?Is it a side to side / forward back rubbing movement ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy