Author Topic: A true athlete.  (Read 1348 times)

wizz

A true athlete.
« on: 19:01:47, 12/07/18 »
I want to say a very well done to Nicky Spinks for completing a double Ramsey round, this involved 116 miles, the summits of 48 peaks in 55 hours and 56 minutes. She took only seven breaks of no more than a few minutes. She did this earlier this month, and we know how hot it has been of late.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: A true athlete.
« Reply #1 on: 22:29:18, 13/07/18 »
Absolutely, well done Nicky, and another true athlete Killian Jornet who has recently broke Billy Blands ever long standing record for the Bob Graham Round in the Lake District.
http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/16349810.bob-graham-round-record-is-smashed-after-three-decades/

wizz

« Reply #2 on: 23:02:58, 13/07/18 »
I believe a relative of Billy Bland helped out by pacing a stage with him, true athletes who help  fellow runners to break their own records. These are the type of athletes who have stopped me watching events like the Olympics and the common wealth games, I would be very very  surprised if drugs were involved with this class of true athletes.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:00:36, 14/07/18 »
Absolutely, well done Nicky, and another true athlete Killian Jornet who has recently broke Billy Blands ever long standing record for the Bob Graham Round in the Lake District.
http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/16349810.bob-graham-round-record-is-smashed-after-three-decades/
This was presumably his "warm down" having just returned from ascending Everest twice in a week - without oxygen.  Some people are superhuman! https://www.thebmc.co.uk/kilian-jornet-sets-speed-record-on-everest

wizz

« Reply #4 on: 20:09:48, 14/07/18 »
I have done a fair bit of long distance trail running, and the buzz and the feeling was brilliant. In other words I did it for the pure pleasure of running. And I think that the same will apply to these athletes. They do it for the pleasure but I do wish that they got a bit more recognition, after all most will have day jobs. That's the reason that I don't watch the Olympics any more, I've nothing against the professionals personally except the fact that the establishment is too keen on doling out Knighthoods on them. I do remember reading that Lewis Hamilton was asking when he might become a sir. So, it seems that the professionals are only in it for the money and the titles. And I may add, I would give up titles and money to be able to do it all again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:09:25, 15/07/18 »
A true athlete is the 80 year old man I met a couple of days ago on Offa's Dyke Path. There he was jogging along, in a yellow running vest, cap on head, carrier bag in hand, running and at the same time picking up all of the rubbish discarded by hikers and motorists on route to their destinations. He still belongs to his local running group, he still loves life and told me he will go on until he drops. I was most impressed.

wizz

« Reply #6 on: 15:05:48, 15/07/18 »
True athlete indeed, retards are the ones who drop the litter in the first place.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy