Author Topic: Shropshire - 2 Days  (Read 1471 times)

twelveangrymen

Shropshire - 2 Days
« on: 20:45:25, 12/09/18 »
New member here
Normally I'm a Lakes / Dales man with a few football mates We do 10m+ pretty much every Sunday though we sampled Offas Dyke Path last Sunday from Llangollen which was stunning
Thinking of a midweek overnighter in Shropshire in October doing two longish walks either side - might stretch to two nights and three walks
Thinking of staying in Shrewsbury / Ludlow but nothing fixed
Main thing is the quality of the walking and a decent pub or two for the evening though a bit of history is also of interest
Dog friendly accomodation would be preferable
Any recommendations gratefully received
« Last Edit: 20:56:07, 12/09/18 by twelveangrymen »

RogerA

Re: Shropshire - 2 Days
« Reply #1 on: 11:56:53, 13/09/18 »
Welcome from North Warwickshire!
I occassionally go to Shropshire to visit family but my only walking there is around the Wrekin - theres a nice 10 mile there that takes in the trig point - a well marked and sometimes busy route up - sorry I dont know the pubs

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:26:06, 13/09/18 »
The two obvious choices for a first time visit would be the Stiperstones and the Long Mynd. The greedy walker might think to amalgamate the two, but to my mind those routes that have been published trying to do this, end up missing the essence of either of these hills.
On the east side of the Long Mynd there is Little Stretton with two pubs the Rageth and the Green Dragon, the first very picturesque and antique but probably posher and the Green Dragon with a more local touch, food is excellent in both. From this start you will be able explore the batches of the Mynd. Another possibility is the Bridges at Ratlinghope, pronounced Ratchup, from this side a walk north up to Golden Valley cross east by the Portway and follow the Mynd south past Pole Bank and Pole Cottage cross west to Wentnor, where your will find the Inn on a Green, back to the Bridges about 11 miles.
The Stiperstones pub under the west side of the Stiperstones is another attractive country pub, good to catch up on the local crack there. Lovely little known valley behind the village, Myton dingle will take you up by a steeper route to the top than the normal rambler/tourist routes. If you visit the valleys behind Lord's hill and the Devil's Chair you will be putting the framework of a route together for a 10 miler, with the Nipstone and the Black Rhadley. There are the old lead mining workings of Snailbeach to visit and lot of other history to be discovered. Return to The Stiperstones for one of their excellent meals down Perkins Beach.
From these two walks your should see enough of north and south Shropshie that the is a lot more to be explored.Corndon hill and surrounds; Black Clee and Brown clee, Wenlock edge, Breiddens, Long Mountain, Wrekin, North Shropshire's chain of sandstone outcrops. North Shropshires lakes and canals. The Welsh marches secret valleys that criss cross Offa's dyke, Llanymynech's limestone and you might just stumble across the Shropshire Way that fiddle faddles around the county side stepping all the private estates and leaves an accurate record of the historic members of County Council, who did not like Clement Atlee's idea of a countryside, shared by all who defended it through two world wars.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Murphy

« Reply #3 on: 20:00:53, 13/09/18 »
BWW took the words out of my mouth, just what I was about to say.  Church Stretton is a good base to explore the Long Mynd, Stiperstones etc.  and then there is also the Cardingmill Valley.......
We normally camp near Bridges at Ratlinghope.  Not sure if you are camping or planning accommodation. The Bridges pub is recommended (or at least it was last time I was there).  

twelveangrymen

« Reply #4 on: 09:14:07, 17/09/18 »
Cheers for the feedback

I'll let you know how we get on  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:58:12, 17/09/18 »
We normally camp near Bridges at Ratlinghope.  Not sure if you are camping or planning accommodation. The Bridges pub is recommended (or at least it was last time I was there).

Was a wee while ago but I would also suggest The Bridges. We camped at the YHA, just round the corner, though not sure if that would be dog friendly.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

twelveangrymen

« Reply #6 on: 21:23:30, 03/10/18 »
Just got back from our 2 day / one night visit to the Shropshire Hills - 4 men and one dog
Staying in Church Stretton as advised - thanks for that recommend
Struggled with dog friendly pubs to stay in so went for a 'cheap and cheerful' B&B situated at the base of Long Mynd
Walked Long Mynd on Day 1 taking in Carding Hill Valley, loop around Robin Hood's Butts and then along the ridge right passed the gliding club and then down into Little Stretton and the pub via Minton
That was a shade over 11m
Day two we walked Stiperstones starting at the Bog car park - did a 9.5m circular but missed Mytton Dingle by mistake which was frustrating
Would have liked to have fitted in a trip up Caer Caradoc but ran out of time
Ate in Kings Arms both nights and would highly recommend as friendly pub with decent food
Obviously not as spectacular as the Lakes ( where we normally walk ) however I really enjoyed going somewhere a bit different and less touristy
Fancy walking Offas Dyke Path at some point so I will be back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy