Author Topic: GPS or not GPS?  (Read 6684 times)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: GPS or not GPS?
« Reply #30 on: 10:37:45, 28/10/18 »
To add my 2p...
I personally just don't get on with GPS as the primary navigation tool for a day's walking. My big problem is the screen being too small to see the big picture.
I do use it for little things when I don't have a paper map, but find it frustrating.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:44:06, 28/10/18 »
To add my 2p...
I personally just don't get on with GPS as the primary navigation tool for a day's walking. My big problem is the screen being too small to see the big picture.
I do use it for little things when I don't have a paper map, but find it frustrating.
I guess it depends how you walk.  If you walk without preplanned route, deciding on the day where and which way to go then I can see the frustration.  You need the map to put your position into context and to decide which way the go next.  The gps will show you where you are but you still need the map to see where that is.
If you plan routes in advance and then walk them then the gps comes more into its own.  It will show you where you are and which way to go.  The bigger picture is less of an issue being more restricted to "what's that over there?" and "are we nearly there yet?" issues.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 17:36:36, 28/10/18 »
I normally pre-plan, but may decide to stray from the route if I see something interesting, have the energy and weather is suitable. Sometimes in the hills it is useful to have a wider view to identify where there may be hazards to avoid or to plot an escape route if the weather deteriorates. I suppose each of these, except choosing to leave the route, would be plantable in advance. I think I would probably also carry a map and compass. This would be a backup to the GPS and give me the option of a wider view of the area. I don’t yet have a GPS and have not used one, so I don’t really know how much of the map I could see on one.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 18:18:47, 28/10/18 »
You can see as much as you want though as you zoom out you lose detail.  Or you can pan without zooming so detail remains the same  O0
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 21:42:16, 28/10/18 »
I guess it depends how you walk.  If you walk without preplanned route, deciding on the day where and which way to go then I can see the frustration.  You need the map to put your position into context and to decide which way the go next.  The gps will show you where you are but you still need the map to see where that is.
If you plan routes in advance and then walk them then the gps comes more into its own.  It will show you where you are and which way to go.  The bigger picture is less of an issue being more restricted to "what's that over there?" and "are we nearly there yet?" issues.

Interesting how you use your GPS.  I generally have a route in mind.  I often plot a GPS route simply to test the viability of the route.ie How long it is likely to take me, useful for evening walks after work as the nights were drawing in.

The one thing I don't ever do, is follow the route on my phone/GPS.  I nstead I use my phones screen as a map when needed and actually take compass bearings off it.  The beauty of the GPS is, I know where I am and can decide, on the move where I want to go. I do the same in blind navigation situations I then just add pacing in.  All this means unless there is danger close by, I need spend very little time navigating.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:24:27, 30/10/18 »

As a map and compass user I have been following this thread with interest. The main drawback for me would be the screen size, as I like to roam in the mountains, and a map gives me the full picture (unless I am on the edge of one of those double sided maps, of course).

I do see the application on a long distance walk, where you are sticking to a pre-ordained route: no need to carry several maps. Or as a backup if leading a party professionally.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Oldtramp

« Reply #36 on: 19:02:52, 30/10/18 »
Map and compass.  Gives the broader context, and lets you understand the surrounding landscape.

GPS is useful on complex ground in poor visibility and or for resolving matters when lost.  I view it more as an emergency back-up.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 14:22:23, 02/11/18 »
When the weather's good I generally just use a map, planning is mainly just a quick look before setting off. A case of thinking "I'll go up there and down here" etc. Never do any detailed route planning as I change my mind quite often. When the visibility closes in I'll use a compass to keep me on route if it's simply a case of walking in a straight line. If it's a more complex route to follow i.e. I need to navigate around several obstacles then I'll use the GPS, I just use the "GoTo" button. This will re-calculate the bearing as I move around the obstacles and will give me a very accurate distance to wherever I've set as the GoTo point. I think I've used Basecamp twice, very frustrating and long winded I can't be bothered with it.
99.99% of the time I walk alone so I can just go where I like and change things when I feel like it, doing details wouldn't work for me. This approach works for me whether it's a short half day in the local hills or a long two or three week backpacking trip to some remote part of Lapland. I do appreciate that this would freak out many folk, it's part of the reason i walk alone but it works for me.   

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:35:14, 02/11/18 »
I am not constantly looking at a map. I usually have a good mental picture of where I will be going. I do plan in advance and this helps me visualise the route, which generally sticks in the mind. The map and compass only gets pulled out occasionally to check I am on track. I imagine I would use a GPS in a similar manner. It would have an advantage in poor visibility and windy weather.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 15:29:09, 02/11/18 »
I think I've used Basecamp twice, very frustrating and long winded I can't be bothered with it.   

Actually very easy when you get the hang of it but like any complex program it takes more than a few tries  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 17:41:51, 02/11/18 »
it's not, not knowing how to use it that's the problem. It's that it doesn't fit with the way I do things. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 18:25:14, 02/11/18 »
Ah fair enough  O0
Where there's a will ...

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 18:56:19, 02/11/18 »
I am pretty new to a GPS, but I have found it very good at finding places in horrible weather
you have 1 life live it

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 19:16:02, 02/11/18 »
I think I will get a GPS. I now need to decide which one and what mapping to get.

Does anyone know if a walking GPS can also be used for driving abroad with appropriate mapping?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 19:19:09, 02/11/18 »
I am pretty new to a GPS, but I have found it very good at finding places in horrible weather
Sure is.  I have navigated with it in really thick cloud with excellent results.  It is really good to know exactly where you are in such circumstances, especially in wild country with few features.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy