Author Topic: TR Patterdale to Pooley Bridge Sat 20 to Sun 21 Oct 18  (Read 2585 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We went to Patterdale this weekend, we wanted to pitch somewhere on Place Fell to hopefully see and hear the deer rut. It was windy and cold when we set off and we knew we wouldn't be pitching very high up. It was drizzly too but it didn't amount to much

On the way to Rooking, the autumnal colours are wonderful

Glenridding from the shore path to Silver Point

Low cloud covered the tops and it was a bit of a grim day to start

Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike

Silver Crag

We stopped for some lunch at Silver Point huddled behind a rock to get out of the wind but the wind was swirling around and we didn't stay long.

Silver Point from what I think is called Long Crag

Hallin Fell from the shorepath

Scalehow Force

Low Birk Fell and Scalehow Force

We ascended the footpath that leads to Low Moss and we got some water from Scalehow Beck for our camp. We were feeling a bit lacklustre today and were ready to pitch the tent. We climbed steeply up to Low Birk Fell and were pleased to find  a spot out of the worst of the wind. We'd been here before. We were early at 2.30 but we were ready to stop and it was too cold to wait to put the tent up.

The MSR below Low Birk Fell

We had a brew and a rest and were thinking about making our tea when we heard some roaring noises. It was the sound of the male deer! We spotted one not too far from the tent

Stag near Kilbert How

Hallin Fell and Ullswater

There were some glimpses of sunshine but it was mainly cloudy. The drizzle had stopped by the time we got to Scalehow Force but it did keep threatening to rain.

We had our tea and opened the wine and got into our bags to keep warm while looking out at the view with the tent doors open.

There was no sunset it was too cloudy over to the west but we had a nice view to look at instead.

Day 1 was Patterdale - Rooking - Side Farm - Silver Point - Scalehow Beck - Low Birk Fell 9.25km with 507m ascent.

Day 2

It was windy at times overnight with some strong gusts but we managed to sleep quite well. We heard a roar of the deer now and again overnight too. After our breakfast we heard one of the deer quite close and we managed to get a shot from the tent.

A stag near Low Birk Fell

Hallin Fell with a weather front approaching from the south west

We were away by 9am and descended to the shore path

Some female deer near Scalehow Force

We were surprised to see these so close to the path especially since it was busy with runners and walkers who seemed to be doing some sort of planned event route. Most of the runners and walkers were very polite and thanked us for moving aside to let them pass but there were a few who expected us to jump out of the way immediately as they raced toward us. We were walking eastward toward Howtown and I was fed up of moving out of the way all the time and I questioned why we were doing that. We had as much right to be on the path as the people on the event and we had a bus to catch! It had started raining so it was on with the waterproofs. Half an hour later we took them off when it stopped  ::)

Looking back to Howtown

After Howtown there were only a couple more of the runners in the event and although there were a few walkers about they were at a more sedate pace.

Steel Knotts from the bridleway to Pooley Bridge

We stopped for a brew and some food behind a big rock near some trees. I was surprised to see a red squirrel jump up onto the tree very close to us. I managed to get a shot of it

Red squirrel, before lunch

It scampered about on the wall then disappeared again but ten minutes later it reappeared on the wall just to the left of us and jumped on the tree. It sat still for a while and we both got a pic of it, beefy got some video footage too.

Red squirrel, after lunch

It was a wonderful few minutes in the squirrel's company  :smitten:

The rain came before we left so it was on with the waterproofs again.

Aik Beck and nice bracken colours

The stone circle at Moor Divock

We were a bit daft to think nobody would be sitting there today because it was so cold in the wind hereabouts  :D

Some hay bales (might not be hay!) at the foot of Heughscar Hill

Day 2 route was Pitch - Scalehow Beck - Sandwick - Hallinghag Wood - Geordie's Crag - Howtown - Auterstone - The Cockpit - Roehead - Pooley Bridge. 14.5km 390m ascent plus an extra 1.6km walking from the bus station eastward. We had 20 minutes to wait for the bus so we were warmer walking part of the way than waiting at the bus station. This weekend will be remembered because of the red squirrel  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Patterdale to Pooley Bridge Sat 20 to Sun 21 Oct 18
« Reply #1 on: 19:25:22, 23/10/18 »
Tremendous O0
Great pics especially the stag and squirrel shots
Was a great weekend fancy a wild camp this weekend ? ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:28:14, 23/10/18 »
Was a great weekend fancy a wild camp this weekend ? ;D

It might be a bit too cold for us old codgers  :(
Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:56:09, 23/10/18 »
10/10 for you old codgers making the most of an opportunity & turning a dull weather day into one to remember.

Great landscape views and fabulous wildlife shots  O0
Funnily enough Mrs IM says we often get a roaring sound around the house on a night: I just seem to default to laying on my back with my gob open  :-X    
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:05:16, 23/10/18 »
Lovely picture, amazing shots of the squirrel  O0

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:54:36, 23/10/18 »
Lovely pics April O0
Those little hills on the side of Place Fell are really interesting and well worth a visit  ;)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:31:55, 23/10/18 »
Great photos April, especially the ones of the red squirrel    :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:04:06, 24/10/18 »
Some beautiful photos there April, lovely colours too O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:28:57, 24/10/18 »
Great pictures, I love the squirrel and the stag on Low Birk fell - looks like you made the most of the conditions.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:30:32, 24/10/18 »
Great TR, April and fantastic pictures as usual.  O0  I love the one of Hallin Fell and Ullswater and the one of the stag in particular.  :)

Must have been a magical moment to see that red squirrel, I've never seen one in real life.

I've never heard of that stone circle so I'm off now to google it for a future visit hopefully...  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:43:02, 24/10/18 »
Funnily enough Mrs IM says we often get a roaring sound around the house on a night: I just seem to default to laying on my back with my gob open  :-X

;D Thanks IM

Thanks Ridge, Karl, Dovegirl, sunnydale, pdstsp and adalard

I've never heard of that stone circle so I'm off now to google it for a future visit hopefully...  :)

It isn't as impressive as say Castlerigg but probably just as unlikely to be able to take a photo without anyone else on it!
Hate will never win

Petrolhead

« Reply #11 on: 14:45:19, 24/10/18 »
Glorious as always April. You and Beefy really are ramping up my excitement for our visit.

All the photos are great but the one of Hallin Fell and the approacing weather is outstanding.

Glad you guys managed to make the most of it!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:55:36, 24/10/18 »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0  for the wildlife pics.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:31:26, 24/10/18 »
Great report and photos April O0  really like the Hallin fell and Ullswater shots :)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:37:07, 24/10/18 »
That's a stroke of luck, a red squirrel that stays put long enough for a photo, we don't see many of them.
The Hallin Fell picture has marvellous light, worth it for that picture alone.
I had high hopes for this coming weekend, but the strength of those northerlies and the predicted wind chill have seriously put me off.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy