Author Topic: Something to give my boots more grip.  (Read 2469 times)

Magic girl

Something to give my boots more grip.
« on: 15:22:49, 29/10/18 »
last winter I noticed on more than one occasion my salomon walking boots seemed to turn into ice skates.I was quite surprised by this especially when i went A over T on my friends decking while looking after their cat while they were away.I really expected walking boots to have good grip even in icy or wet weather but apparently not.I can't afford a different pair of boots and i do love my salomon's they're so comfy and I've not had one blister,what do i need to buy to give them more grip? After a search on here I'm confused 😐 I won't be climbing any mountains and i mainly walk on roads and pavements there is the odd sloping hill nearby that i walk along so what is it i need to buy? Is it crampons i need? Some I've looked at are very spikey and don't look suitable for roads or pavements,what would you guys advise x

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Something to give my boots more grip.
« Reply #1 on: 16:11:53, 29/10/18 »
I too wondered if I needed crampons so I read this to find out if I needed crampons (I don't think you do if you're mostly walking pavements or roads). Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable comes along to help you, but I wonder if something like this might help.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:35:14, 29/10/18 »
Boots soles are rubber and have weaknesses when it comes to mud, ice and slime.  Some boots grip better than others by virtue of the compound they are made of and the tread pattern but they will all ultimately slip on a low friction surface, for example wet decking or paving covered in algae.  Basically, microspikes are meant for frozen paths with a thin coating of ice, crampons are for icy snow slopes.  Neither are intended for greasy roads or pavements and while they will grip, they will wear down quickly and make a mess of the surface.
There is a family of products such as yaktrax https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/yaktrax-yaktrax-walker-B9244014.html?colour=180 which are a step down from microspikes which may assist but again they are not intend for use in the  situation you describe.
The best solution is to be more aware of the surface you are walking on and avoid strong movements which can cause you to slip.  The other thing that will keep you upright is a set of trekking poles.  They save me from a serious slip on virtually every walk i go on.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:52:11, 29/10/18 »
I have some of these for icy pavements (my walks to the shops).  You do have to take them off when you get into shops though otherwise they become as slippy as rubber on decking!  They fit on any walking shoe/boot.

I have some of these for icy/packed snow off road paths and tracks with a bit of a slope but not high mountains/big snow.  You do have to take them off once there's no snow though because it can feel a bit ... odd ... unstable ... if the points don't have anything to grip into.  Snow can gather in them as well so you have to do a lot of toe-tapping to get rid.  They fit on any walking shoe/boot.

I DON'T have some of these for full on winter mountain stuff because I'd need crampon compatible boots to go with them and probably would need to know how to use an ice axe.  I just keep off the higher technical stuff in winter.  As much as I love the idea of being up on the top of a biiiiig snowy mountain in icy crisp, blue skies and sunshine, I don't love the idea of getting up to/down from there  ;D

Ancient Walking Forum discussion about the same subject here.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:55:20, 29/10/18 »
Grivel also do micro spikes

"A micro spiked anti slip device for use on snow covered or icy tracks and trails and which can be used on just about any footwear. Warning: Ran is an anti slip device and is NOT a crampon for alpinism"

https://www.needlesports.com/49685/products/grivel-ran-antislip.aspx

A bit cheaper than Kahtoolas @ £27

Hate will never win

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:35:33, 30/10/18 »
Maybe the difference between the non Vibram soles used on the Salomon boots....not used a pair of Salomon walking boots myself. The two types of Scarpa boots, manta and active, that I use both have Vibram soles.  No guarantee of staying upright on icy paths.  Walking poles and probably one of the several micro spike aids, would I guess,  as has been said be helpful.  I have not used any of the micro grips so can't really comment on these.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:41:41, 30/10/18 »
I believe on the early days with hobnail boots that a heavy pair of woollen socks were worhn over the boots for better grip.
It's all uphill from here.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:09:48, 30/10/18 »
For the budget minded these might be worth a gamble. They have 18 stainless steel spikes, come with a carry bag and seem to have generally good reviews.
Available in Sizes Small EU 28-33; Medium EU 34-40; Large EU 38-43; XL EU 40-46.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUTAD-Crampons-Altitude-Slip-resistant-Stainless/dp/B017APLZ1U

The same item is available on eBay from under £10 delivered - search for "OUTAD ice crampons".

As already pointed out micro spikes are not for use on greasy pavements, roads or moss covered wood decking and perform best on ice or hard packed snow covered ground to avoid snow build up and unecessary wear.

I don't think your friend would thank you for damaging her expensive decking wearing these and worse still depriving her of a good laugh!  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:10:57, 31/10/18 »
I DON'T have some of these for full on winter mountain stuff because I'd need crampon compatible boots to go with them and probably would need to know how to use an ice axe.  I just keep off the higher technical stuff in winter.  As much as I love the idea of being up on the top of a biiiiig snowy mountain in icy crisp, blue skies and sunshine, I don't love the idea of getting up to/down from there  ;D 

I've only once felt the need for crampons in the Lake District, Mel, but I managed without, with care. A good pair of winter boots, gaiters and an ice axe have been sufficient for many a winter walk. There's nothing quite like getting out on the hills in the snow.

And learning to use an ice axe is fun!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:40:52, 31/10/18 »
If a winter walk starts looking like it's going to need an ice axe, that's the point I'd be turning round and retracing my steps.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy