Author Topic: Sucking the joy out of walking  (Read 4874 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sucking the joy out of walking
« Reply #30 on: 13:16:06, 13/07/20 »
Regarding the OP: these statistics are a bit too much for my liking. However, I do like to "collect" munros as an excuse to visit areas that I would otherwise not have visited. Some areas simply don't appeal that much to me before I go there, but then turn out to be wonderful when I go walking there just to "bag" a munro! Now that I have learned that virtually all hill bagging walks turn out to be fantastic, I'm quite motivated to aim at finalising the list eventually.

Btw: I'm also a birder so I tick off birds and try to grow my lifelist (currently at 2373 species), preferably in combination with walking. For the same reason: the process is great fun and it is nice to have some kind of goal for your walk. But is really just an excuse to enjoy nature.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:08:55, 13/07/20 »
Getting back on topic - for me it all about the route, both planning and execution.  I do not bag summits, rather I like to fill in the "gaps" in the map but not just for the sake of doing it, the route must be worthwhile so some areas will never be walked.  If a summit is on the way, that is fine, but if it is not, then I will only detour if the view looks worth it.  For me there is no point on standing on a spot where all the ground slopes down from there just to say I have.  It is not as if I am claiming it for Queen and Country!Pre-Covid I rarely repeated a route but since that was forced on me, I have quite enjoyed watching routes change as the seasons progress and post lockdown, I am still doing local routes as well as exploring further afield in the SW.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 17:56:32, 13/07/20 »
Actually I would say the same amount of work was done.  Work done is basically force times distance. If the car is raised to the same height, the same work is done.  In the second instance, it is just done less efficiently so more energy is used but the gain in potential energy is the same.

Yes, the same amount of work is done in raising the car, but only if you ignore the work done that doesn't contribute to raising the car.

In the real world, a (petrol) car raising itself through (say) 1,000ft wastes about 80% of the energy used because it also converts chemical energy to heat energy. If only about 20% of the chemical energy is actually converted into gravitational potential energy, then only about 20% of the work done by the car results in the increased potential energy, since energy used is equivalent to work done.

A car's energy efficiency is considerably lower at 70mph than at 50mph. Therefore, the higher speed results in relatively more energy being wasted in the form of heat. In our experiment, more energy will be required to achieve the same gain in height, which in turn means more work is done by the car than when it was travelling at the lower speed.

Since the human body is also a machine that converts chemical energy into other forms, returning to the OP (on this particular subject) will show that the treadmill had it right all along...  ;)

And another thing that I sometimes think about...  :)

I've noticed as I walk along country lanes (and I used to notice it when I cycled along them) is that beetles tend to cross the road at a perpendicular angle to the edge of the road. In other words, they take the shortest line to the other side.

Now, for a beetle, a road would be roughly the equivalent of what a human would experience as a two-mile expanse viewed from a hands and knees position. Also, a beetle's eyesight isn't that good. So how does the beetle know the direction that results in the shortest crossing?

My theory (and the only one I can come up with) is as follows: Some kind of local natural selection is occurring - and beetles can navigate, perhaps by using the Earth's magnetic field. Since the shortest route is the safest, beetles that do not cross in a perpendicular direction are more likely to get squashed, while those that do tend to survive and reproduce. And that accounts for my observations, which go back many years!  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 18:32:00, 13/07/20 »
Sorry Dave, you still don't get it.  You are confusing energy used with work done.. Work done is what is achieved (there is a clue in the name if you think about it).  The energy required to raise a mass through a height can be calculated. The energy used in actually achieving the task can be measured.  The ratio between the these two values is the efficiency of the system.  So yes, you are expending more energy but you are not doing any more work.
Here is an alternative thought experiment.  I need to move a pile a bricks from A to B.  I can carry each brick one at a time from the pile at A to build a new pile at B.  Alternatively I can load the bricks into a wheelbarrow at A, wheel them to B and restack them.  At the end of the day, the pile of bricks has gone from A to B.  This is the work done.  How I did it has no bearing on what I have achieved.  Moving one brick at a time or using a wheelbarrow have different efficiencies and require different amounts of energy to achieve the goal but either way I am achieving the same thing.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:51:41, 13/07/20 »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:11:24, 13/07/20 »
Can we rename this "Sucking the Joy out of the Forum?" :(

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:19:42, 13/07/20 »
Talking of hill classifications

I wonder if they also count as Marilyns?
High Quality Stock Photos of "the rumps"
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 08:08:31, 14/07/20 »
Sorry Dave, you still don't get it. ...

On the contrary ninthace, it's you who refuses to get it.  :)

In my first post on the subject (Reply #15) it should have been obvious that I was discussing energy expenditure per hour. After all, I stated units in Calories per hour and discussed the apparent equivalence (in estimated energy expenditure per hour) between walking fast on the level and walking slower on an incline.

In your replies you introduced a red herring and ran with it.

You talked about the definition of work done in the context of Mechanics, so in my subsequent post (Reply #24) I reminded you that I was talking about energy expenditure per hour. However, you preferred to continue to run with your red herring...  ::)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:25:36, 14/07/20 »
O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:27:45, 14/07/20 »
+1
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 09:08:58, 14/07/20 »

+2

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 09:23:13, 14/07/20 »
If people are happy posting in this thread and are playing nicely then just take your pint and wander in to a conversation somewhere else. Leave them at the end of the bar to discuss this on their own.

I had opted out of this topic sometime ago but there are some members of the forum where I would always look at their posts as they usually have something interesting to say. This morning Beefy posted, so I look what he's got to say. Then Jac posts, so I look at her post, and now Dovegirl. The people who are making me look at this thread are the ones who don't like it.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 09:49:12, 14/07/20 »
Well that's me told.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 09:54:27, 14/07/20 »
Well that's me told.
and me. Point taken :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left