Author Topic: Pennine Way for the over 60's  (Read 126778 times)

videoman

Re: Pennine Way for the over 60's
« Reply #30 on: 20:56:13, 04/02/15 »
Will do Videoman. Still a while away yet but it will arrive very quickly no doubt. With a bit of luck I may get another LDW by the year end. You two enjoy also. Being the 50th anniversary it may be a bit busier than usual. Don't mind a company on the odd day. What schedule are you on?

Don't know what the schedule is as my mate who I am walking with usually sorts that out like he did when we did the C2C a few years ago and I just go with the flow as he has more time as he has retired to sunny Tenerife and he studies the guide books and maps, I just have a quick look.

I need to get some training in carrying a full rucksack which will probably end up around 14/15kg as I will be away for around three weeks in total and we will be camping as much as possible along the way. Hopefully I will do the Llyn Coastal Path beforehand which is only 95 miles but will hopefully get me back into carrying a full rucksack of this weight.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 22:43:00, 04/02/15 »
As I say it is just a personal thing. I have tried to engineer a lighter bag day on day 3. Just that at the end; having carried I can look at myself in the mirror and say I did it. Not sure I could if I just had a day bag. Bit like doing it in sections; to me; isn't doing it. But if someone with a day bag /doing it over a few years reckons they have done it, I wouldn't argue with them.
Have you done this one yet Bricam? Notice you did the C2C a couple of times last year but haven't noticed you posting about one this year. I think Sean who walked with you last year(?) was talking about a PW this year? I do like the C2C having done it a few times over the last four years and was initially only doing the PW to tick it off the list. I am looking forward to it now having  decided to go.

John

videoman

« Reply #32 on: 08:00:32, 06/02/15 »
I don't think it matters how you do it, either carrying a full rucksack and camping, Sherpa service or B&B, at least you can say you have done it and have the satisfaction of completing the walk.

I'm sure after a few days we will be saying we wished we had used a baggage transfer company or stayed in B&B's like when we backpacked the C2C a few years ago. I would say carrying the rucksack every day was one of the worst parts of the walk and were going to do it all again but over a longer distance. Must be mad!  :D
Alan

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 09:23:34, 06/02/15 »
Spot on Alan.
And I most definitely will be cursing the pack along the way;
when it gets stuck in a stile; under an overhanging branch; when the water bag pipe stops working; when it is [censored]***g down and you remember the waterproof bag you need is at the bottom of all your clothes and you need to get it; when the wind hits you side on and the bag acts like a sail spinning you round; when the bag cover flies off on Gt Shunner Fell etc etc
I trust this irrational anger thing is part of the over 60s experience too ;D

John

vinny

« Reply #34 on: 12:40:07, 06/02/15 »
johnnyp the plan is:
Train from Chester via Manchester to Edale.
Thursday. Edale - Torside, Old House.
Friday. Torside - Standedge,  Carriage House.
Saturday. Standedge - Badgerfield, Badger Fields Farm, was going to stop at the Prospect End, but the lady is having a hip op.
Sunday. Badgerfield - Cowling, Woodland House.
Monday. Cowling - Malham, Miresfield Farm.
Tuesday. Malham - Horton, Crown Hotel.
Wednesday. Horton - Hawes, Herriots.
Thursday. Hawes - Tan Hill,
Friday. Tan Hill - Middleton. bad day for B&B’s but got in at Teesdale Hotel.
Saturday. Teasdale - Dufton. Brow Farm.
Sunday. Dufton - Alston, Cumberland Hotel.
Monday. Alston - Greenhead, Greenhead Hotel.
Tuesday. Greenhead -  Bellingham, Cheviot Hotel.
Wednesday. Bellingham - Byrness, Forest View   
Thursday. Byrness - Windy Gyle, back to Forest View.
Friday. Windy Gyle - Kirk Yetholm. Border Hotel.
Saturday. Train home 

vinny

« Reply #35 on: 13:05:13, 06/02/15 »
I well be carrying my own kit. lets face it, you don’t need that much.

My Packing List 10kg. with Micro Spikes 11kg.

Wearing   
Underwear
Base Layer
Mid Layer
Socks & Liner Socks
Pants & Belt
Hanky's x 2
Jacket
Buffs X 2
Gloves
Boots
Walking poles
Gaiters

In Pack
Underwear x 2
Base Layer x 1
Socks x 2
Liner Socks x 2
Hoodie Top x 1
Mid Layer x 1
icebreaker Base Layer x 1
Pants x 1
Hanky’s x 4
Saddles for evening
Washing & Shaving Kit
Spare Lace & Booted cleaning kit
First aid kit
Head torch & spare Batteries
Micro Spikes depending on the weather?
Phone charger & battery pack with cables
Bevy Bag & Emergency Rations
Box for pack lunch
Flakes
Water bladder + Water
Camera & Charger
Compass & Maps + case
Whistle
Water Filter

A lot of the B&B's do laundry so you can get things washed.   

vinny

« Reply #36 on: 13:28:15, 06/02/15 »
Must revise that list and add waterproof clothing because its going to rain at some point in the 16 days.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 01:09:04, 07/02/15 »
Vinny,
Thanks for that. Am going to investigate this water filter thing.
I too start on a Thursday and finish on a Friday thus avoiding weekends in Malham and Horton where 2 night bookings seem to be a minimum. Also travelling back from KY on a Saturday seems to work.
Like you am staying at Old House on night 1 and then Badgersfield Farm near Hebden Bridge on Fri and Sat. Got a lift from the M62 on Fri afternoon to Hebden; then a taxi back to complete the section back to Hebden on Saturday ( hopefully a more restful shorter day after the first two). Like you I am at Tan Hill on Day 8 and Greenhead Hotel on day 12. Then Forest View on nights 14 and 15 ( which I am really looking forward to). Any feedback would be great.
With my luck you will have warm gentle breezes in April and me blizzards in June!
Am at Winterhouse Farm in Cowling which is close to the route, the YH at Malham, Golden Lion at Horton, Ebor House in Hawes ( because I come from York), the Old Barn in Middleton, Coney Garth in Dufton and Lowbyer Manor Hotel in Alston.
The only bit I found awkward to book was at KY but managed to get in at Bluntys Mill.
So now it just a matter of doing the job. I reckon I am in at about 13 kg inc the sack weight and can do 10 day C2Cs on this basis ( although my feet are rather dodgy at the moment and I am less fit than a couple of years ago). Luckily I am being met by family at Tan Hill to get a change of clothes which will help; so I shouldn't smell too pungent at the end :D
Being tight, I am getting a lift to Edale on the start morning...on the basis that my son in law has my car for the duration of the trip!
Actually the cost has not been too bad compared to the C2C and given that it is the 50th anniversary. this does genuinely seem to be a quieter route these days.
John

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 10:58:57, 07/02/15 »
I stayed at the Cross Keys in KY, almost opposite the end of the PW and across the green from the Border Hotel.  Great b&b for anyone else struggling to find accommodation in KY. 
Where there's a will ...

Hazzer

« Reply #39 on: 12:26:31, 07/02/15 »
Best of luck, Johnny, especially with the weather.

I backpacked three years ago (aged 63) and count it as one of life's great experiences. The weather was so poor that I went back the next year to see the bits that were hidden in the gloom!

I plan to walk it again in May, just before my 66th birthday.

High spot for me was an idyllic camp on Fountains Fell, with Pen y Gent framed by the tent door.

Given reasonable weather, I would always aim to do Byrness-KY in one day. The time soon passes (too quickly in fact) and the sense of satisfaction when you see the KY signpost after 10+ hours is great.

I'm a10-stone weakling, so it's no great feat.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get me.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:16:04, 07/02/15 »
My memory of Fountains Fell was horizontal rain!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:23:29, 07/02/15 »
Mine was vertical ... and very heavy.  I'd have liked to have sheltered for a while but there simply wasn't anywhere  :(
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 22:35:39, 07/02/15 »
Evening Jon,
I did try the X Keys first. Others have recommended it too. Sadly it was full; as was the Border Hotel and the Farmhouse. May be just that particular Friday but I was relieved to get in at Blunty's Mill which I had not heard of before. Would have been a shame to finish the walk and have to get a cab to Kelso for a bed.
I tell you what Hazzer; the more this thread goes on the more I feel like the youngster of the crew ( and I never thought I would think that again!). This is turning into a procession of geriatric venturers! and that is great.  Are you backpacking in May again? If so I am duly impressed. Best of luck needless to say. What is your itinery? No doubt you will keep us updated.
I was last over Fountains Fell in 2012 too but it was late August and possibly the only hot day of that year. Did the Dales Highway but veered off onto the PW from Malham to Horton to take in the 3 peaks en-route. Fountains is a fair old pull and looks easier than it is whereas Penyghent is the reverse in my view. Having done the 3 peaks again last year, I may just indulge myself by cutting over Bracken bottom (?) to Horton to have a nice early tea that day!

john

Barney Clayton

« Reply #43 on: 14:10:28, 08/02/15 »
We did the Pennine Way  a couple of  years ago  and agree Fountains Fell is a good place to get wet through. Cross Fell on the other hand was  sunny and clear (if still v blustery ). To keep you cheery, one of us was 61 and we managed to back pack and camp as far as Hawes, where our knees gave way. We then stashed our gear at a very friendly pub with rooms (the Crown) and stayed in B&Bs or Youth Hostels (the irony) for the rest of the walk. One bit of advise we would give, take a regular break every few days in you have time, even if you feel you don't need it.
Any campers out there that have stayed at the Horton in Ribblesdale  campsite with the huge marquee office? We were given a very warm welcome by the owners and an offer of a warming tot of Brandy - bit early In the evening but very heartening. Good luck with the PW , seems you have to be at least 60 to stand a chance of managing it!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 16:53:59, 08/02/15 »
Indeed. It would seem an enterprising soul could do ok opening a chemists about halfway to cater for failing body parts en route!
Trouble with rest days is that just over two weeks begins to slip towards three...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy