Author Topic: Public Footpath through river!  (Read 2559 times)

bigbri

Re: Public Footpath through river!
« Reply #15 on: 19:04:55, 18/07/18 »
Learning a lot here folks

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:58:58, 18/07/18 »
Plenty of RoWs are tidal, too. Have a look around Morecombe and Newbury Warren. Also some spectacular wades across river mouths at low tides in Cornwall.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:39:20, 19/07/18 »

I recall many years ago having to cross a glacial river in the Pyrenees - very painful!

I took my boots and socks off, and then put my boots back on before crossing. My ice axe made a good third leg.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:40:06, 19/07/18 »
I have found and enjoyed some interesting routes based on a low water crossing of the River Avon at Bantham in Devon. The crossing is about 1/4 mile upstream from the ferry which never seems to operate. In summer it is rarely deeper than knee deep usually a lot less and with a sandy bed easy to walk in bare feet.
Just a matter of adjusting your route to time with the tide tables. Yet to try a crossing of the River Erme at Erme mouth, though there is a ford upriver, not marked on OS, rather stony bottom. Incidentally there is no righteous way to This feature of our countrysides geography, there is a footbridge, did have locked gates but Mrs BWW was quite capable of following my excursion around this trifling impediment.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Rather be walking

« Reply #19 on: 10:49:25, 19/07/18 »
Slightly off topic (rivers), near the start of the 'Allan Kings Way' at Portchester Castle you'll have to walk inland at high tide also at high tide at Colonel's Hard on the coastal path near Bembridge.

WiFi hot spot on the 'The Greater RidgeWay'  O0

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy