Author Topic: Attacked By A Large Dog Today  (Read 4075 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Attacked By A Large Dog Today
« Reply #30 on: 22:09:42, 01/06/20 »
How do you know, in that split second, when a dog runs fast towards you, that the owner is responsible?

The owner should have it on a lead if it is a problem dog?
Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 22:40:31, 01/06/20 »
 O0
Where there's a will ...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 22:46:23, 01/06/20 »
How do you know, in that split second, when a dog runs fast towards you, that the owner is responsible?
I am not sure of that, but one sure way of identifying the irresponsible owner is to listen for the loud shouting of the dog’s name while it races towards people and other animals paying no attention whatsoever.

Actually, the demeanour of some dogs is so calm and they approach so gently that it is almost a guarantee of a good owner. 

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 05:57:43, 02/06/20 »
I am not sure of that, but one sure way of identifying the irresponsible owner is to listen for the loud shouting of the dog’s name while it races towards people and other animals paying no attention whatsoever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 06:51:23, 02/06/20 »

Absolutely.

At this time of year, all dogs should be on a lead on grassland and in woodland in any case - lambs, ground nesting birds, fledglings, deer calving.

EDIT - I have seen some rare exceptions - dogs under such good control that they can be trusted. but they are rare indeed. Tess was bothered by a larger off lead dog on Black Combe - I could see from the dog's attitude that there might be trouble, so I let Tess off the lead so that she could defend herself. Sure enough, the dog lunged at Tess, and there was a yelp of fear, but the dog backed off. Owner useless, needless to say.
« Last Edit: 07:34:35, 02/06/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 07:06:23, 02/06/20 »
But they often don't, and that is where the problem is.
Would be much easier if all dogs had to be on a short lead when out in public.

When people consider getting a dog, they know their personal living circumstances i.e. large fenced garden or small high rise flat.
They also know the area they live in i.e. suitable places to walk a dog.

Those things don't seem to be taken into account and the public keep reciting the same old trope about there not being bad dogs, just bad owners.
It is not the owners jumping up on people and biting them, it is the dog.  Putting it on a short lead will solve a lot of the problem.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 07:24:13, 02/06/20 »

But they often don't, and that is where the problem is.

So we agree then  :)

Those things don't seem to be taken into account and the public keep reciting the same old trope about there not being bad dogs, just bad owners.
It is not the owners jumping up on people and biting them, it is the dog.  Putting it on a short lead will solve a lot of the problem.

I don't know any dogs that can put a lead on themselves.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 07:36:33, 02/06/20 »
I don't know any dogs that can put a lead on themselves.

;D ;D
Not even Tess can do that.

PS - not sure that there is much point in discussing this with SteamyTea, as he thinks that we are all liars in any case.  :(
I used to know the chair of the SWCP, she thought, and said, 'all dog owners are liers'.
She was spot on.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 10:31:56, 02/06/20 »
Recently I was bitten by a neighbour's new dog that they had obtained from a rescue centre.In this case it was not the fault of either the dog or its new owner but rather the previous owner who had abused the dog and made it defensive when it was frightened.The dog needed treatment and after a few expensive sessions with a dog therapist it is like a new animal.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 10:56:11, 02/06/20 »
I wrote a bit of nonsense a few year ago on this subject about 10 years ago I find. Interesting the how the various topics go round and come back. On my return to the forum after a bit of a lay off. A rather dramatic encounter with a Rottweiller, which led to the title of  If U go Down 2 T Woods 2day...Rottweiller!!!.

Some old names of contributors who have gone away, but I see one, who is still with;
Thanks Ridge for that comment, I was not looking for sympathy as I own to being off the 'Righteous Way', a coin of phrase I don't think I had quite got to then.  ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #40 on: 11:25:23, 02/06/20 »
It sounds to me like the dog tried to jump up at you if it scratched you. An attack would have been entirely different and you would have had bite Mark's. None the less the owner is to blame. Dogs owners like this are a scourge.  I own a dog and mine is never off leash. Nothing to do with being aggressive he's entirely the opposite.  However on the moors and RoW and around livestock they should be on leash. I've had issues with other off leash dogs trying to attack my dog on more than one occasion.  I could solve the issue by letting him off leash but I don't instead hes trained to sit and I put the owners straight when they eventually come to get their dog. Don't hate dogs due to this instead direct it at the pathetic owners who don't train them.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 12:00:49, 02/06/20 »
My daughter is a dog walker down in Cornwall and quite a few of the dogs she walks are not that well behaved at home or with their owners, but they become different animals when they are out with her.  She gives them the attention they require but takes a firm line with them too, so they have boundaries.  While some of her clients work or have mobility issues, many of them are quite capable of taking their own dogs for walks but prefer to pay her to do it.  Those tend to be the less well behaved animals, perhaps bought for the wrong reasons or an inappropriate breed or temperament for their owners.
Sometimes when we are down there visiting we go for a walk on the beach and a dog she walks will run up and greet her - preferring her company to their owners.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #42 on: 12:29:09, 02/06/20 »
My daughter is a dog walker down in Cornwall and quite a few of the dogs she walks are not that well behaved at home or with their owners, but they become different animals when they are out with her.  She gives them the attention they require but takes a firm line with them too, so they have boundaries.  While some of her clients work or have mobility issues, many of them are quite capable of taking their own dogs for walks but prefer to pay her to do it.  Those tend to be the less well behaved animals, perhaps bought for the wrong reasons or an inappropriate breed or temperament for their owners.
Sometimes when we are down there visiting we go for a walk on the beach and a dog she walks will run up and greet her - preferring her company to their owners.
Unfortunately many get a dog on looks alone and don't research the breed and see if it fits in with their lifestyle.  I'm adopting another dog this weekend from a refuge. Lots of dogs are ending up in refuges due to all the lockdown puppy purchasers having to go back to work.  The idiots should have thought about that in the first place before they got a puppy but dont.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 08:51:07, 03/06/20 »
...... I own a dog and mine is never off leash............

What, never?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Toxicbunny

« Reply #44 on: 11:54:37, 03/06/20 »
What, never?
No never in public he's always on a leash in public places. Hes a sled dog he's always on a leash.
I take him to a parkour which I hire private for a good run. Plus I scooter jor with him.  I live rural so i can walk him on a 30ft leash on permissive access land. Plus I have a garden just under 1/2 an acre which he can run about in.  Hes always under control and well trained and gets plenty of exercise. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy