Author Topic: Attacked By A Large Dog Today  (Read 4073 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Attacked By A Large Dog Today
« Reply #15 on: 08:25:47, 01/06/20 »
You have my sympathies.

I dislike dogs, been bitten 3 times, once badly.

I don't trust any of them and do not understand where the 'entertainment' of dog ownership comes from.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:16:10, 01/06/20 »
You have my sympathies.

I dislike dogs, been bitten 3 times, once badly.

I don't trust any of them and do not understand where the 'entertainment' of dog ownership comes from.

I share your views.

I've felt teeth twice, been jumped at several times, and have been concerned for my safety many times, but fortunately there have been no serious incidents.

In my experience, the terrain is a big factor when it comes to doggy issues, with woodland being by far the most risky. Dogs can appear on a path and see me well before the owner does and (I believe) poorly trained dogs are more likely to be exercised away from the beaten track because they can't be trusted - and that's where they meet me!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:32:57, 01/06/20 »
poorly trained dogs are more likely to be exercised away from the beaten track because they can't be trusted - and that's where they meet me!
Unleashed dogs are the real problem.

Near me there is an area of woodland, signs up saying that it is a nature reserve and no dogs allowed in part of it, totally ignored.
Another part says dogs must be on lead, totally ignored.
Signs up says to take dog waste away and not leave bags about the place, totally ignored.

I used to know the chair of the SWCP, she thought, and said, 'all dog owners are liers'.
She was spot on.

Yesterday I was having a cup of coffee by the lake, 3 dogs came running towards me, one sounded aggressive and wanted to jump up on me.
Owner did apologise by saying "did not expect anyone to be here".
It is a public area in an NT park, not a back garden.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:55:27, 01/06/20 »

I think it springs from dogs sheer joy in doing everyday things like going for a walk, chasing sticks, etc. 

That joy is infectious..it makes you want to go out whatever the weather..it almost “enforces” a healthy lifestyle.

But poorly trained they can be a real pain for innocent bystanders!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:49:18, 01/06/20 »
Even a well trained dog can take exception to something.  My daughter’s collie is trained to agility standards and always reacts promptly to commands but I have seen it suddenly exception to somebody in a hoodie and start barking at them.  Fortunately, because it was trained it could be dropped to the ground and then brought to heel and put back on the lead.  Never seen it do it before, no idea why it behaved that way but for a second or two, it was not a happy dog. 
I had a collie that was beautifully behaved unless you were a bin bag.  For some reason, she hated them and always growled at them on bin day.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:28:24, 01/06/20 »

I used to know the chair of the SWCP, she thought, and said, 'all dog owners are liers'.
She was spot on.

Charming :(

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:28:02, 01/06/20 »

Charming :(
Don't sweat it.  We all tell fibs from time to time - dog owners, cat owners, animal lovers, vegetarians, omnivores, organic growers, beer drinkers, teetotallers, hikers, runners, wild campers, smokers, non smokers, air breathers .........
Who did I miss?
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:02:47, 01/06/20 »
Don't sweat it.  We all tell fibs from time to time - dog owners, cat owners, animal lovers, vegetarians, omnivores, organic growers, beer drinkers, teetotallers, hikers, runners, wild campers, smokers, non smokers, air breathers .........
Who did I miss?

It appears carnivorous fish my be the only honest creatures on the planet.  ;D

Ronin83

« Reply #23 on: 14:42:07, 01/06/20 »
If a dog is being actually aggressive it will show its teeth, otherwise its not.

In rural Spain you bend down as if to pick up a rock and they immediately back off. They've been trained to fear having rocks thrown at them as... Well, that's what people have done. Is that the same here?
They're usually protecting sheep when they come at you though, and aren't super aggressive, just protective.

If a truly aggressive dog goes schizo on you theres not much u can do really. A trekking pole may help

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:24:54, 01/06/20 »
If a dog is being actually aggressive it will show its teeth, otherwise its not.
Not always.  I had a dog running towards me baring its teeth while the owner was shouting at me.
"its ok he always looks like that"
I shouted back to get the thing under control.
More shout, but at the dog this time, she never got it under control.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:46:58, 01/06/20 »
I have been bitten by 2 different sheepdogs. Once near Blindburn in Northumberland and once near Talkin Tarn. I still like dogs although I am a bit nervous around sheepdogs. In my experience it is the dog owner at fault and not the dog most of the time.
Hate will never win

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:07:57, 01/06/20 »
In my experience it is the dog owner at fault and not the dog most of the time.
yes, getting rid of dog owners would reduce the market for cute new puppies somewhat.
Would get rid of my sister as well, so doubly as good.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:21:27, 01/06/20 »
You would love the Tors Inn in Belstone on the edge of Dartmoor then.  Having a dog with you is virtually obligatory.  The pub itself is run by an amiable spaniel with help from its human.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:25:48, 01/06/20 »
getting rid of dog owners would reduce the market for cute new puppies somewhat.

I have no problem with the vast majority of dog owners. Most are the responsible type  :)
Hate will never win

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:07:46, 01/06/20 »
I have no problem with the vast majority of dog owners. Most are the responsible type  :)
How do you know, in that split second, when a dog runs fast towards you, that the owner is responsible?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy