Author Topic: Hellvellyn with kids  (Read 960 times)

Liz t

Hellvellyn with kids
« on: 09:31:55, 23/08/19 »
Hi everyone.  I'm hoping to climb hellvellyn on Monday with 3 kids, aged 6, 6 and 4. They are seasoned walkers and used to big hills (did pen-y-ghent circular last month). I'm looking at going from either swirls past browncove crags, or up birk side. The walk needs to be 7miles max,  and to do it as a circular up swirls down birkside looks further than that,  so we probably need to do straight up and back down same route. Can anyone suggest which route might be better/more fun? They love scrambling, even if it's just some rocks to climb on enroute. 

As an aside, does anyone know of other walks near ullswater with good scrambling?

Thanks

Liz

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: Hellvellyn with kids
« Reply #1 on: 20:49:56, 23/08/19 »
Browncove and Birkside are very steep on ascent and descent so allow plenty of time. Hellvellyn is a much bigger and steeper undertaking than PenY Ghent (count the contours and their spacing) and is likely to be crowded on moday which is due to be extremely hot, so don't forget the sun cream and plenty of water to last you until back at the car. Scrambling routes in the Lakes or anywhere else are not the place for young children unless you mean just over a few rocks.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:19:54, 24/08/19 »
You could head up Comb Gill then North and down via Helvellyn Gill.  Then head back on the forest track.  The distance is around 11km. However the accent is what will take some adjusting to for your kids.  It is considerably more than your previous expedition.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:06:46, 24/08/19 »
Actually the Cumbrian accent is quite pleasant to the ear  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:43:30, 24/08/19 »
Actually the Cumbrian accent is quite pleasant to the ear  ;)

;D  Got me there.   If only I could switch the spell checker on this tablet off , I would.  Might help if I could spell too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy