Author Topic: Paramo alterations - anyone had any done?  (Read 3929 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Paramo alterations - anyone had any done?
« on: 08:53:16, 01/11/18 »
I like my Helki jacket but it doesn't have enough ventilation - no pit zips. I got it for a very good price and looking into trading it up on ebay looks like it would cost me a fair bit and possibly end up with me getting something less suitable in other ways.

So I contacted Paramo and they're able to add pit-zip vents, with the flaps underneath etc for a pretty reasonable price.

Has anyone had any work like that done by them. I'm assuming they'd do it to a high standard but I'd be interested to know from people who've actually seen their work.

wobblyknees

Re: Paramo alterations - anyone had any done?
« Reply #1 on: 10:36:05, 01/11/18 »
Depends what you mean by pretty reasonable. I contacted them to try to get my Cascada pants repaired. The price was prohibitive.
I bought a new pair cheaper (on Ebay I think). Admittedly, they were the older heavier baggy version and Paramo had recently launched the newer slimmer version. Many outlets were offloading the old ones very cheaply.

That said, a friend of mine sent her old, well battered, multi ripped Alta 2 jacket back to them for repair. She got back a washed, reproofed and fully repaired jacket in almost pristine condition. The repairs are hardly noticeable. I think it cost only £30 about 5 years ago. She says it felt like buying a new jacket for £30.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:10:17, 01/11/18 »
Depends what you mean by pretty reasonable. I contacted them to try to get my Cascada pants repaired. The price was prohibitive.
I bought a new pair cheaper (on Ebay I think). Admittedly, they were the older heavier baggy version and Paramo had recently launched the newer slimmer version. Many outlets were offloading the old ones very cheaply.

That said, a friend of mine sent her old, well battered, multi ripped Alta 2 jacket back to them for repair. She got back a washed, reproofed and fully repaired jacket in almost pristine condition. The repairs are hardly noticeable. I think it cost only £30 about 5 years ago. She says it felt like buying a new jacket for £30.

Cheers

£48 for the work on both arms.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:11:50, 01/11/18 »
I've had jackets repaired three times...usual story, me being careless, barbed wire unsuccessfully negotiated, friction tears when scrambling, etc. (That ...scrambling... won't happen again, walk only nowadays).

All three times work was done to high standards, and jacket was re-proofed in cost. The first two times it was impossible to tell where repair had been needed. The third time.it was possible to tell where a panel had been replaced, but only because jacket was so old that it was impossible to match the colour exactly, Paramo had moved to a slightly different green.

Basically I wouldn't have any qualms about quality of their work, if price is acceptable to you.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:32:03, 01/11/18 »
I have an Alta 2 and the zip is beginning to fail!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:55:56, 01/11/18 »
I'm going to go ahead then and get it done.

wobblyknees

« Reply #6 on: 09:51:04, 02/11/18 »
I'm going to go ahead then and get it done.

A good decision I'd say. After Paramo's quote for my Cascadas, I brought them to a local seamstress. When she explained the amount of work involved in replacing a 3/4 length zip, I realized Paramo's quote was very reasonable. Buying the new pair was still the cheaper option,though.

£48 sounds very reasonable for two pit-zips.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:03:22, 02/11/18 »

A friend had a very successful repair done to her Paramo Jacket after an altercation with some barbed wire.
I decided my Velez trousers were just too far gone after various encounters with brambles, barbed wire and the stony surface of that path from Cross Fell to Garrigill, so I took up the other Paramo deal, gave them back to the shop and got 50 quid off a new pair.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:53:57, 22/12/18 »
So i got the alterations done and the jacket came back today.

They have been done to a very high standard. It looks just like it was made like that in the first place.

Theres quite a lot to it when you look at it: storm flap with a popper on the outside and the the overlapping liner in the inside to provide the waterproofing keep the zip away from your skin.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:00:46, 22/12/18 »
Good to hear it went well, neat way to get a unique garment.

IanHappy

« Reply #10 on: 15:41:55, 28/08/19 »
Hi Neil, I'm just weighing up which jacket to get, and the Helki seems to fit much better than the others I've tried. I too would like venting though, and this seems like a good way forward. Do you have any photos you'd be willing to share?

Also any feedback on the jacket itself? My usage would be quite diverse; mostly hill walking but I've climbed a lot before and would quite like to get back into scrambling/easier climbing, in winter as well as summer. Not sure the hood would be big enough over a helmet though?

Thanks a lot,
Ian

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:07:59, 30/08/19 »
Hi Neil, I'm just weighing up which jacket to get, and the Helki seems to fit much better than the others I've tried. I too would like venting though, and this seems like a good way forward. Do you have any photos you'd be willing to share?

Also any feedback on the jacket itself? My usage would be quite diverse; mostly hill walking but I've climbed a lot before and would quite like to get back into scrambling/easier climbing, in winter as well as summer. Not sure the hood would be big enough over a helmet though?

Thanks a lot,
Ian

Hopefully gives you some idea. The vent is on the upper arm not all the way around the armput like it is on my other jackets and as such, not as effective.
I think the hood is helmet friendly but Paramo would be the people to confirm that with.
The jacket is OK. I only use it for backpacking and hillwalking. No climbing. So not sure I'm qualified to say how suitable it is. For walking it works . Has kept me dry and it vents a bit at the front if popped up but not zipper up. Sleeves can be pushed up to expose forarms. Has useful pockets. Excellent hood as always with Paramo. Warm and dry - too warm for Spring and Summer for me but my preferred Winter jacket. I have to wear thin baselayers when walking uphill or I get too hot above zero. I usually wear a simple polyester t-shirt from Lidl or Decathlon.
I only got the Helki because it was going new but super cheap on ebay and later realised it needed the vents. If money was no object then I wouldn't buy it again but would get something with more venting built in. Looks like the Enduro is their mountain jacket for climbing etc but it ain't cheap.

Fit-wise, I was under the impression that the Helki is the same fit as most of the newer versions of their jacket but I've not tried them all on.

I'm not 100% sold on Paramo. Seems like a bit too much of a compromise: it's overly warm and heavy but in the right conditions makes a good all-day jacket. I find myself wearing my shell jacket and/or windproof just as much as that's a more flexible system across the year. But then I really do get hot and sweaty during exercise in general. The other downside for me is their use in multiday trips - getting into a tent with a soaking wet Paramo results in putting on a soaking wet Paramo the next morning as they tend to hold onto the water in the face-fabric middle layer, whereas a Goretex dries off fast if shaken dry and even if it doesn't, is only wet on the surface. I do like the trousers in colder months.
« Last Edit: 14:13:10, 30/08/19 by NeilC »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:17:00, 03/10/19 »
Don't mention it.... ::)

IanHappy

« Reply #13 on: 11:33:26, 03/10/19 »
Dear Neil,

My apologies; I have been away on holiday and could not respond immediately. However I have been back for 3 days now and should have followed up sooner; I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to respond with pictures and your views, and I'm sorry that I didn't say so sooner.

Thank you very much for the pictures; Paramo have done a good job and you would never know that the vents were not part of the original design. I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of Paramo for my use; I can't afford multiple jackets to cover all the seasons, so perhaps it is not for me at the moment.

Sorry again, and thank you again,
Ian

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:36:17, 03/10/19 »
I bought a Paramo Alta 2 a few years ago, I grew to dislike it, especially in the warmer months, just too hot and I also learned that it was not a jacket that easily folded up to pack in my rucksack, too slippery and bulky, on top of that I was never convinced as to how waterproof it was either. Then the zip failed.

When I found out how much the repair cost would be I gave up on it completely. It now hangs in my garage gathering dust.

My learning at that time was that I would never buy such a jacket again and so moved on and bought a single skin jacket, a Marmot Precip, much better!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy