Author Topic: Merrell Moab  (Read 1748 times)

Lancashire lad

Merrell Moab
« on: 07:18:48, 17/10/19 »
I went into Cotswolds last week to buy some Moab shoes after reading all the great reviews, tried a pair of tens, walked around in them in the store and as recommended by the sales guy who apparently wears the same footwear to work and back every day I decided on a pair half a size bigger, which were delivered yesterday.
Couldn’t wait to try them out so I went for a five-six mile walk along Saint Annes sea front and into Blackpool.
All the way through the walk I could feel the impact of the payment through the soles of the shoes which I never encounter with my other cheaper boots.
When I got home the soles of my feet were aching.
So I’m sitting here thinking about buying some gel inserts, then again why should I when I just shelled out just short of a hundred quid for the shoes.
Not sure if Cotswolds will take them back or exchange them for something else now that I have worn them.
Has anyone else come up against this kind of situation.
« Last Edit: 07:21:58, 17/10/19 by Lancashire lad »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Merrell Moab
« Reply #1 on: 07:37:52, 17/10/19 »
Interesting, it just shows you never can tell. We've standardised on Moabs for years now precisely because of the very good cushioning (and quite wide toeboxes, European brands are often too narrow for British feet). I did some long days earlier this year, the longest ~27 miles with its fair share of hard surfaces and tracks and my feet felt fine at the end.

What about your footbeds?. The supplied ones are generally pretty crap, I use Superfeet Trailblazers that keep the heel in its properly cupped shape and add a bit of extra underfoot cushioning too .

If the flexibility of your previous footwear differs significantly either way from the Moabs, the foot-tiredness may just be your feet adjusting to the change.

Dread

« Reply #2 on: 07:57:22, 17/10/19 »
As vghikers said, if you are used to a boot with a rigid sole then softer shoes can take a bit of getting used to. It is annoying having to fork out for inserts but a lot of people find them essential. Manufacturers only provide the most basic  and leave it to you to get the insert that suits you best. Moabs are well regarded and a lot of people wear them as their daily shoe on pavements and hard surfaces.

Lancashire lad

« Reply #3 on: 08:11:52, 17/10/19 »
The footbeds are as you put it rubbish, I bought these specifically for a planned trip along the west highland way next year, as from what I can gather is for the most part a long track, I would have stuck with my regular leather boots but if for some reason they get wet inside which believe me is a regular occurrence, they would have been difficult to dry out overnight whilst camping.
Whereas the gortex moab would probably be easier to dry out if I stick some newspaper or whatever up the inside of them.
My intention is to get used to wearing them and park them up till spring.
Thanks for your feedback I will have a hunt around for some insoles.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:42:58, 17/10/19 »
I learned long ago that to keep my feet in comfortable mode, especially if walking a long way, I needed inserts. The choices as I came to understand it is between inserts for cushioning (e.g. Sorbothane's) and inserts for support (e.g. Superfeet) and I've bought both. My preference is to use my Sorbothanes for hiking and the Superfeet for running. I could use them the other way around but from trial and error that is what my feet like best.

I also carry the original boot inserts with me bacuse I get to the point sometimes, again on a long hike, where my feet and the Sorbothanes are just too hot together so I chop and change improve my situation. I often take the Sorbothanes out and put the original inserts back in for a while, this creates a bit more space in the boots which for me can ease discomfort. Sometimes I do this because my feet feel swollen from the effort of the day, not by much but enough to know that I need a bit of toe wiggle room for a while.

I personally also prefer to hike with soles that are more flexible and I know that there is a school of thought that suggests that some people prefer to hike in trainers, expecially off road trainers. I could be persuaded to do this, sounds a good idea (without a rucksack) but I hesitate to do it because I'm just not sure how my feet would cope over days knowing that I have a 48L rucksack on my back.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:11:38, 17/10/19 »
If replacement insoles do not resolve the issue with your Merrell Moabs have a look at these Oboz nubuck leather/fabric combination shoes and boots at only £60 a pair plus £3.95 delivery. There are plenty of info/reviews on the web and videos on YouTube.

https://www.magic-mountain.co.uk/collections/oboz-2/products/ob-21401-sawtooth-low-bdry

https://www.magic-mountain.co.uk/collections/oboz-2/products/ob-20701-sawtooth-mid-bdry

I'm not sure where you could visit to try some on as availability in the UK seems to be very limited. Magic Mountain offer free returns (returns form and a Royal Mail Freepost label included in every order) so there's no risk in ordering some to try and as long as you don't remove any tags and don't go outside in them there shouldn't be a problem returning them for a full refund.

I own both the Sawtooth Mid B-Dry Boots and Sawtooth Low B-Dry Shoes and have had no underfoot impact problems, no leaks and can confirm that the build quality is excellent and compared to most other manufacturers both include exceptionally good factory fitted insoles.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:53:17, 17/10/19 »
+1 for Oboz. I also use Merrell Moabs with no problem and have not changed the insole.
It's all uphill from here.

Ronin83

« Reply #7 on: 15:35:24, 17/10/19 »
I've found moabs to be uncomfortable too. When I tried them on I was like, "wow, so comfy",
But after using them a bit I realised they kill my feet and the toe box isn't anywhere near as generous as its made out to be. The heel is way too bulky, High and hard which means your posture is put out from the height and the heel hits the ground too soon in each step. I did think about persevering, but actually other boots and shoes haven't felt this bad. Maybe they're better for bigger, heavier people or people with feet which are wide throughout?
I dunno.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:30:30, 17/10/19 »
I have Moab boots and found them very comfortable from the outset. I didn’t find the soles too thin.

Dread

« Reply #9 on: 20:02:50, 17/10/19 »
I have a pair of the Oboz lows and find them more comfortable than Moabs although I'm happy wearing either. Oboz are a little wider and have thicker soles.

Lancashire lad

« Reply #10 on: 21:38:12, 17/10/19 »
Thanks to everyone for your responses today much food for thought, I will get some slightly thicker insoles for the moabs, and check out the other options. Theres no doubt the moabs are a good shoe, I think the problem may be more to do with the shape of the sole, or my walking posture.
I had a good look at my old boots today which also have vibram soles on them but a slightly different design to the Merrells, the tread on those leather boots is hardly showing any signs of wear apart from the back of the heel area which is pretty much worn away.
My heels do tend to hit the deck well before the rest of my foot.
Anyway onward and gradually upward I’ll get fixed up with some inserts and try them out on a B+ walk with my local group Sunday

nesty

« Reply #11 on: 21:55:09, 19/10/19 »
I have those Oboz Sawtooth low B-dry as well and they are great, I hardly feel any stones or terrain underneath when wearing them, they are really comfortable. 
« Last Edit: 21:59:47, 19/10/19 by nesty »

Ronin83

« Reply #12 on: 23:56:43, 19/10/19 »
It's not the end of the world to feel what's beneath your feet! It helps with proprioception. It's not like we're talking wafer thin soles here, they're still quite thick hiking soles

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy