Author Topic: Good routes for partially sighted people  (Read 2809 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Good routes for partially sighted people
« on: 18:37:25, 03/06/20 »
I asked about this before near Appleby but now I'm curious about the Lakes.

Went up Latrigg yesterday too for my first fell walk in forever with my girlfriend. Wow, what a difference to the last time I went up! It's like walking around town now, my average heart rate was 85.

Be nice if I could think of other fells she could manage, she's partially sighted though so no depth perception, even on Latrigg she needed a walking pole to feel the ground.

I can't think of any other suitable fells. Can any of you?

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Good routes for partially sighted people
« Reply #1 on: 19:01:42, 03/06/20 »
Nice to hear from you again, Rob.  Not my area, geographically, but I'm please to hear that life is going well for you O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:08:24, 03/06/20 »
Thank you Jac. I get sucked into this and that then forget to do things. This forum has been good to me, especially ninthace though he was mean sending me to Upper Teesdale without gaiters ;D

Want to get back into walking country routes with my lady. I'm still an amateur really just a pretty fit one now (though I won't stay that way if I keep binge eating chocolate :o).

Hope you are well too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:07:05, 03/06/20 »
The route to the col of Skiddaw might be doable if memory serves, but the last part to the trig point could be rough going for the poor sighted (rocks) but it that is not a goer, then the secondary summit of Little Man would be a possibility.  Go left at the col and follow the fence line.

I told you Upper Teesdale was boggy! I didn't tell you to fall in!
« Last Edit: 20:11:32, 03/06/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:30:02, 03/06/20 »
Great stuff, Rob - good to have you back on the hills.

I know that it is not the Lakes, but Hooksey in the Northern Howgills is an easy walk, a bit of farm track and then mostly grassy quad bike track pretty much all the way to the summit, and not too steep. Don't be tempted to go further, though, as things get very steep very quickly, so return by the same route.

Trip report including parking recommendation here  - http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40353.0

https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA0Mjg1Mw==

Edit - and don't forget forest walks, Whinlatter and Grisedale - stick to the forest roads for a smooth surface.  :)
« Last Edit: 20:36:05, 03/06/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:01:36, 03/06/20 »
Would the route from Keswick around Derwentwater be suitable? The route to the far side and down to the southern point of the lake, if I remember correctly, is well defined, more or less flat and again if I remember it well enough, it's easy walking?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:08:54, 03/06/20 »
Would the route from Keswick around Derwentwater be suitable? The route to the far side and down to the southern point of the lake, if I remember correctly, is well defined, more or less flat and again if I remember it well enough, it's easy walking?
Quite long, some road work, largely good surfaces but not a fell route.
Solvitur Ambulando

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:09:44, 03/06/20 »
How about Sale fell and Ling Fell,  ( just off the A66 nr Bassenthwaite lake ) wide grassy paths with nothing to fall off

Or as Richard suggests try the Howgills, miles of very good wide tracks and lovely underfoot as well.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 03:10:47, 04/06/20 »
Thank you guys for your help all that's left now is to pick our next one, assuming my lady still wants to go after the Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness from Latrigg possibly interfering with her couch to 5K today (she did get to 5K before but got injured so has had to start again).

Really looking forward to it!  :)

MarkT

« Reply #9 on: 09:57:35, 04/06/20 »
You may want to consider some fells in the Western area of The Lakes. These maybe are some lesser known fells but still offer some very good views and from memory have good paths.

Grike and Crag Fell - Some good paths through woods, others along tracks and grass up onto the summits. Good views down into Ennderdale and at the end of the valley Great Gable and Pillar.

Fellbarrow and Low Fell - Good paths, small section of a rough track near the start, if you start from Loweswater, rest of walk on grass. Good views to Buttermere and turn around and you can see Scotland, on a good day.

Burnbank Fell (near Loweswater - good for parking) A walk across good paths and tracks, through woods and open land. However one sectiom is quite steep but on grass and definitely no scrambling. The summit is reached along a good grassy path. Views not as good as the above fells but still good.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:52:54, 04/06/20 »
Thanks MarkT for your comprehensive reply. O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:13:24, 05/06/20 »
Have you been to the Smardale reserve, Rob?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:09:58, 05/06/20 »
Have you been to the Smardale reserve, Rob?

Yes on a ninthace excursion last time I took a big break from this sort of walking. The viaduct was closed when I went there so I had to turn round and come back again (or so I thought).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:16:16, 25/06/20 »
The track from Bowscale up to Bowscale Tarn is fairly good, Rob. The tarn is worth a visit. There is parking just south of Bowscale.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40501.0

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 05:36:13, 02/08/20 »
Thanks Richard. We both got injured (separately) so haven't been out much until recently. I'll suprise my partner with a trip to one of these soon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy