Author Topic: local pubs with live music after a days walking  (Read 863 times)

Lucy Bromage

Looking for both a 5 hours walk and a lovely village pub at the end of it with live music for our May 2020 walking weekend.
Past two years, enjoyed The Square & Compass, Worth Matravers, near Swanage after days coastal walk so keen to match both scenic walk and evening atmosphere elsewhere in the UK, preferably no more than 150 miles from Reading. Many thanks for any recommendations

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: local pubs with live music after a days walking
« Reply #1 on: 15:47:53, 02/12/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth, a pub with live music, now that's a hard one. I can think of pubs but whether they would have music on a particular night or not??? Maybe walking from Horton in Ribblesdale on the Pennine Way, then having a good look around Hawes, a few pubs there.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:05:14, 02/12/19 »
Welcome to the forum, Lucy. Can't really help you for walks/pubs within 150 miles of Reading as I live up north.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:28:29, 02/12/19 »
I'm not keen on 'live music' in pubs, it's usually because the 'music' is too loud and distorted because the amplifiers and speakers are of such poor quality. I always then go to another pub up the road. Two years ago I stayed in the YHA in Ambleside and on the way into the town I went into a pub/hotel for a meal and when I ordered the bar person asked me and the other customers what three tracks of music we would like to listen to via Spotify. I chose Joan Baez, Diamonds and Rust, a Jimmy Smith track and the Ry Cooder theme from the film 'Paris, Texas.' The pub audio was pretty good and it was nice to be asked. Evidently, the landlord got fed up with the staff hogging the Spotify channel and he demanded that the customers should choose the music! I did choose some other tracks later but I can't remember now what they were.

derbytramper

« Reply #4 on: 07:38:07, 19/12/19 »
Derbyshire, more specifically, around the Matlock, Wirksworth, Belper area. Some good walking (as long as you like hills), great beer and lots of pubs have live music (mostly at weekends).

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:06:46, 19/12/19 »
Holman Clavell Inn, Blackdown Hills. Good walking around Castle Neroche area. Food is excellent. You'd have to check which nights they have music on.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:45:13, 19/12/19 »
I love it when you just chance upon music in a pub.

Best that ever happened to me was after 2 nights wild camping in the Letterewe Forest; we must have been pretty fit then as we 'yomped' the 14 miles out with heavy backpacks in time for a lunch time music session at the local pub - we had stumbled upon the Poolewe folk festival! Lunch turned into evening, and I' can't remember much after that.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy