Author Topic: Advice  (Read 2646 times)

dinger

Advice
« on: 20:26:18, 13/10/17 »
Can anyone recomend a good camera for less then £800 I want to use it for video footage and take good landscape photos I can print and frame

PeterDevon

Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: 10:41:53, 14/10/17 »
You will get a s/h Canon 5d markII on ebay for around £500 that leaves you 300 for a lens, 17-40mm f/4 go for around  £250

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:05:00, 14/10/17 »
For around £600 you can get 2nd hand Canon 6D.  Which is better camera than the 5D2 in pretty much every way.  But there are also a lot of really quite good micro 4/3rds cameras from the likes of Panasonic that might interest you. Do you actually want a DSLR or something smaller?

dinger

« Reply #3 on: 15:44:41, 14/10/17 »
Been doing a little research and the sony a6300 looks good too for image quality but lenses are :D so expensive

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:14:52, 15/10/17 »
For around £600 you can get 2nd hand Canon 6D.  Which is better camera than the 5D2 in pretty much every way. 

Something I'm also looking at, why do you find the 6D better than the 5D?

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:11:04, 15/10/17 »

Something I'm also looking at, why do you find the 6D better than the 5D?

I've never owned a 5D2 but had a 6D for a few years until quite recently.  There are some excellent like for like comparison reviews of it when it came out.  Basically the 6D is newer technology, has a much better sensor, amazing low light capability/high ISO shooting, the sensor is apparently better than the one in the 5D3.  It also has inbuilt GPS and wifi which you may or my not want.  The autofocus is a bit better too but isn't going to set the world on fire.  It's also slightly smaller and lighter which is a consideration if you're carrying around all day.  I've never used video with any of my cameras so can't comment on that.

Downsides I've seen - which I wasn't bothered with:  It's not all metal - the top is a tough plastic to allow for the GPS & wifi.  Some people complain about the smaller size as they want a big camera.  The 6D isn't exactly small though.  It has a single SD card a lot of people like CF cards and think SD's are amateur or should have 2 slots.

Hope that helps.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:13:39, 15/10/17 »
Been doing a little research and the sony a6300 looks good too for image quality but lenses are :D so expensive

Sony's are great - I've got one now but the lenses are eye-wateringly expensive.  Even when compared to CaNikon pro glass.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:26:33, 15/10/17 »
Thanks Wurz, very interesting. I read some very differing reports on the 6D autofocus some good some not so. I'm not sure about GPS what does it do? wifi might be useful for photojournalists but I'm not one.Video? I wish they'd make just one camera without it, I really don't like paying through the nose for something I'll never use. Secondhand prices for either cameras are very similar so I guess it'll comedown to what's on offer.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:12:20, 15/10/17 »
Re autofocus, the 6D is better than the 5D2. There were plenty of wedding photographers that switched from the 5D2 to 6D. 

The reason you see comments about it being poor is that when it was released the main rival to it was the Nikon D600 - I nearly bought one, glad I didn't as there were a raft of issues with it, hence the arrival of the D610.  The Nikon had loads of focus points.  Hence people slated the 6D.  This never bothered me because most of what I shoot isn't going anywhere.  The centre focus point is very sensitive and I use back button focus with that point.  So focus and recompose. 

The GPS allows you to geotag your images so you know exactly where they were taken.  The wifi allows you to control the camera with your mobile phone as a remote with live view.

As for video, all cameras come with it, some better than others.

jamiek

« Reply #9 on: 17:51:25, 18/10/17 »
You will get a s/h Canon 5d markII on ebay for around £500 that leaves you 300 for a lens, 17-40mm f/4 go for around  £250

This, do this!

Not the lightest... but the quality will be spot on!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy