Author Topic: Two questions about Corridor route  (Read 1407 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Two questions about Corridor route
« on: 22:26:36, 29/07/19 »
My eldest and I are planning on walking the Corridor route from Seathwaite soon but I have two questions:
1) It starts through a farmyard - are there likely to be loose dogs running around?2) I've read there's a narrow bit with a big drop on one side. How bad does the exposure get? Last year we did Striding Edge and at first my son wouldn't go along the top of the ridge, though he did as we got further along.
Thanks.
Claire

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Two questions about Corridor route
« Reply #1 on: 22:41:56, 29/07/19 »
I have come across loose farm dogs at Seathwaite, but very friendly ones!

As for exposure, in my opinion this is worse ascending, as the short scrambling section is descended , whereas it is an up climb when descending.  It doesn't worry me, but we are all different aren't we?  Having said that I think I read your report of doing the Nantlle ridge, and I don't think the corridor route is any worse than that. 

Paul

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:16:54, 29/07/19 »
I have come across loose farm dogs at Seathwaite, but very friendly ones!
Oh dear, no such thing as far as my eldest is concerned. But if I know they're friendly at least I can be confident dealing with them.

As for exposure, in my opinion this is worse ascending, as the short scrambling section is descended , whereas it is an up climb when descending.  It doesn't worry me, but we are all different aren't we?  Having said that I think I read your report of doing the Nantlle ridge, and I don't think the corridor route is any worse than that. 

Paul
Thanks. We'd be ascending. Yes, we did the Nantlle ridge 3 years ago and oddly I found the exposure harder than he did. Then the following year we were on Glyder Fach and he had an attack of vertigo nearly at the summit and didn't make it on to the highest point but I was ok. So there's no telling really I suppose.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:11:45, 30/07/19 »

I can't remember seeing any farm dogs when I did the Corridor Route last October.

When  you ascend, there is one short downwards scramble to negotiate - the exposure is not bad at all; certainly less than Striding Edge.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:26:11, 30/07/19 »
I can't remember seeing any farm dogs when I did the Corridor Route last October.

When  you ascend, there is one short downwards scramble to negotiate - the exposure is not bad at all; certainly less than Striding Edge.
Thanks, that sounds fine.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:01:11, 16/08/19 »
Thanks for the advice. We went up Scafell Pike by the Corridor route on Tuesday - bit damp but enjoyed the route and we were lucky enough to get clear views on the top. We did intend to do Scafell by Lord's Rake but on seeing just the approach to it we both decided absolutely not. Our experience coming down the bad screen slope off Great Gable the previous day probably didn't encourage us  ;D There were no dogs around when we set off, when we came back via the public toilets they sounded distinctly unfriendly but maybe because they were locked away in an outbuilding next to the toilets.

Will try to do proper trip reports at some point.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:53:00, 16/08/19 »
Glad you enjoyed it, and look forward to the TR.

I always think dogs sound more aggressive when they're locked up.  My two bark at passersby when they're in the house, but not when we're out. Must be hard to have a fear of dogs when fell walking, as there's plenty about!  Has he always been scared or was there an incident?  Friend of mine has never got over being bitten when she was 4 or 5, and she freezes whenever my two say hello. 

Having said that, my younger daughter was scared until we got our first dog and now she loves them.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:43:01, 16/08/19 »
Glad you enjoyed it, and look forward to the TR.

I always think dogs sound more aggressive when they're locked up.  My two bark at passersby when they're in the house, but not when we're out. Must be hard to have a fear of dogs when fell walking, as there's plenty about!  Has he always been scared or was there an incident?  Friend of mine has never got over being bitten when she was 4 or 5, and she freezes whenever my two say hello. 

Having said that, my younger daughter was scared until we got our first dog and now she loves them.
No particular incident. He has a thing about them touching him in any way - hates being licked by dogs, so the people who try to reassure by saying their dogs are more likely to lick you to death than bite you really don't help! At one point we were looking into getting a rescue dog but they were concerned about how nervous he was. What mostly happens when we're out hill walking is that if a dog comes along he puts me between him and the dog  ;D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:45:57, 16/08/19 »
Gosh - well I hope he learns to love them one day, though I'm with him on the licking front - I hate being licked (mainly because I know where their tongues have just been), but I wouldn't be without mine (most of the time).  We all have our likes, dislikes, fears and foibles. 

My old dog, who died last year, used to come running when I came back from cycling, just to lick my sweaty legs, I assume she liked the salt.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy