Author Topic: Walk Gradings  (Read 732 times)

myxpyr

Walk Gradings
« on: 19:47:40, 19/08/19 »
Some of you will know, in fact you're probably downright bored by it, that I'm contemplating the Lairig Ghru.
Interestingly I came across it on Walkopedia and noticed that they had graded it as strenuous. Now, two years ago I did part of the Tour du Mont Blanc(hoping to do it again next year) and their grading for that was also strenuous.
Now I don't recall that when I did the TMB that I ever thought "I can't hack this". Even the highest passes that I did(Col de Croix du Bonhomme, Grand Col Ferret) did not really seem to faze me. The day I crossed the Col de Croix du Bonhomme was not even nice weather wise, wind, rain and a bit cold but I hacked it. It may have been due to the fact that I was travelling solo and thus doing it at MY pace(slowly, slowly) I'm hoping if I do the LG I shall get the same Karma.Comments welcome ;D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Walk Gradings
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:16, 19/08/19 »
Interestingly I came across it on Walkopedia and noticed that they had graded it as strenuous.

Because the LG is a "pass" route threading between the mountains, many people assume it must be a very soft option and think it's much easier than it actually is. That bealach is higher than most mountain summits south of the border.
It's not very strenuous but is rather more serious than it may appear, certainly in the winter months, and they are rating it to better prepare people, I think.

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 20:27:28, 19/08/19 »
Good points. Thinking of going next week when I shall do it at my own pace. A night in Corrour bothy with a half bottle of brandy. If the weather is bad next day I can always double back.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:18:15, 20/08/19 »
A night in Corrour bothy with a half bottle of brandy. If the weather is bad next day I can always double back.

Be prepared for Corrour to be full - it is small and popular.

...and good luck. The northern approaches are easy enough from a walking point of view, but you will be high up in remote big country.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:15:54, 20/08/19 »
Depends a lot on the wind direction ….coming from the South into a Northerly wind will add an extra effort factor.
Walking from Braemar without getting a lift to the Linn of Dee...extra time needed...would bring also into timings...maybe also the possibility of an overnight at Bob Scotts refuge?
The previous poster on this topic mentioned an overfull Corrour Bothy.  How much more is it to carry a lightweight tent....you have all the rest of overnight and cooking gear with you?
Just looked at the WH site who use a 'boots' symbol for the grading of walks....the Lairig has 4 of these... same as reaching Ben Macdui by their reckoning? Don't know why...could be the extra height gain from Braemar? 250 mtrs more than for Macdui starting from the ski car park.
As always with these days out in the Cairngorms right conditions without wind in the Lairig, on the right winter's day, the compacted snow can make even the boulder field crossings straightforward.
I think, mentioned by others prior, that the highest part of the Lairig is around the height of many of the Corbett hills in Scotland.

myxpyr

« Reply #5 on: 11:33:20, 20/08/19 »
Thanks for useful comments. As I won't be under pressure time wise I was indeed thinking of a night at Bob Scott's bothy as well as Corrour. I know this mind sound OTT but the priority is to enjoy it and if it means getting to the bothies ahead of anyone else - good ;D
Being ex-MoD I've also ascertained that I am eligible for accommodation at Rothiemurchus Lodge if need be.Are there likely to be a fair number of others doing the LG?

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:58:38, 20/08/19 »
You seem to have done your research on the walk....you are well set up.
We have used the Rothiemurchus army centre for getting quickly into the Lairig for searches etc. Never stayed there it appears to be a cosy place to stay. The gentleman who has to do with the running of the Centre is a namesake of mine.  
I hope that the weather is kind for you during your walk  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy