Author Topic: Ticks & insects. A big Problem?  (Read 4938 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Ticks & insects. A big Problem?
« on: 14:13:13, 15/04/07 »
We mostly do fell walking, which I understand isn't their prime habitat, but later this year we're away for a week and we'll be covering much more varied environments.

So are they a big problem in terms of how likely I'll get some?

Also which is best the O'TOMŽ hook or more traditional tick tweezers.

One thing we'll also be considering as summer rapidly approaches is do you recommend and particular Tick/insect repellent?
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

titaniumdude

Re: Ticks & insects. A big Problem?
« Reply #1 on: 18:46:02, 15/04/07 »
Never had a tick myself, but have a dog that picks them up now and again so they are out there.  Some places are more of a risk than others so it depends on where you're going as to what precautions to take.  Tick tweezers work fine and there are sight on the net that offer advice on dealing with these nasties.  Anything with deet in works for me.  Used jungle formula for quite a while.  Apparantly the best thing for deterring scotish midgies is avon so soft.  Recommended by the mulitary.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

marmot

« Reply #2 on: 19:38:56, 15/04/07 »
Last year on a walk up Crag Fell, Ennerdale I picked nearly 40 ticks off my dog (Before they'd embedded), I've had one or two myself and they've always just fallen off before I'd noticed they were on. Apparently smearing Vaseline on them works by suffocating them, or try isopropyl alcohol or vodka (Or any other strong spirit drink) to kill them.
On midges, I've tried various off-the-shelf formulas and tips and found all of them a waste of money/time. If you're camping light a fire if it's allowed, or light incence sticks in the cooking area of the tent.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 02:06:59, 17/04/07 »
ticks alcohol... midges dont eat cheese (i dont mean the midges  ;D) and i think, strange one this marigolds, they hate them.  There is a site on the net, somewhere, all about midges and how to stop/get rid of them, written by a Scottish walker, quite good too  ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:33:31, 17/04/07 »
So if I get [censored], eat cheese and wear marigolds I should be safe. Strangely as well wouldn't look as bizarre as some of the other walkers.  ;)
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

solo backpacker

« Reply #5 on: 19:49:22, 30/04/07 »
im pretty sure that all methods of removing ticks with the aid of their death can result in infection. tick tweezers are the only reliable method of extracting them alive, i'd also advise being shown how to use them by someone with experience. i don't know which ones are best mind.

i did get two ticks when visiting relatives in atlanta a few years back. i was too young and embarrassed to tell anyone and just pulled them off (one was in a very private place!) i know they're a particular problem in the lakes and know of two people who've caught lymes disease from them.

in terms of midges i usually take 100% deet repellent. will strip wood and melt plastic but v. good at discouraging the little biting bliters, can't remember the brand off hand but i think anything with a high deet % should be good.
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:16:25, 02/05/07 »
OK, this thread is starting to worry me .. exactly what are we referring to here?  :-\

When I've been out and about, I've never had anything try to attatch itself to me - well except for that sheep dog that time, but it was lonely  ;)

Once, on a warm Summer's day, I was lazing in a field, idly chewing on a piece of grass, thinking about nothing in particular, when I felt something nip my tongue.  I pulled the grass away and looked at it, and saw something like this staring back at me ...

Is this the sort of thing we're talking about here  ???

Wandering_Werner

« Reply #7 on: 19:22:54, 02/05/07 »
This thread's worrying me as well. I've never been warned of ticks in the lakes before. I wasn't aware of how damaging Lyme disease can potentially be either. Maybe I should get some of those tweezers then.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:16:38, 05/05/07 »
Strangely it's actually re-assured me somewhat.

A pair of tweezers (and knowing how to use them) looks to be all you need really.

That and making sure you check yourself during after a walk where you're likely to encounter them.
Dazza
--------

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:30:33, 05/05/07 »
Vinegar is also a good replelent and it is a antispetic also.

Rich A

« Reply #10 on: 15:08:25, 08/05/07 »
Just found this excellent forum (while looking for advice on how to report farmers for destroying public footpaths) and can, hopefully, add a few things to this discussion.

I returned from a week in the The Lake District a fortnight ago to discover 3 ticks on my dog and 2 on myself (shin and crook of knee). All were easily removed with an O'Tom device picked up from the the vet previously.
This inspired me to do a little research.
Tweezers or a special device (O'Tom) are the only methods that should be used.
Any technique that causes the tick to suffer or die (alcohol, oil, chemicals, heat) will also cause it to vomit the contents of it's stomach back into your body. That would hugely increase your chances of picking up Lymes Disease if the tick was a carrier.

Just to put it in perspective though, I believe that Lymes is generally carried by deer ticks. In the Lakes, most of the ticks are sheep ticks.

I suspect that the best method to avoid ticks is not to wear shorts.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:27:41, 08/05/07 »
I've just come over feeling all queezy ..  :-\

I'm not going to look at sheep in quite the same way!  Have these little [censored] got names, something which I can Google?

... By the way, welcome to the Forum  ;)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:55:18, 08/05/07 »
Hello and welcome Rich A

I will have to have a word with my vet he still uses alcohol.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:24:00, 08/05/07 »
From what I've read elsewhere it is deer ticks that are the carriers of Lymes. I think sheep ticks are more common generally though.

The O'tom was what I was thinking of getting. Will be placing an order soon then I reckon.

So far, no ticks at all. As we haven't walked in Scotland or the lakes yet, that's probably not a huge surprise.

Ofcourse when we're roaming Yorkshire and possibly the lakes as well, we'll have to be a bit more dilligent and have a check afterwards (although that raises awkward situations if you do spot one and you can't get to it).

For Mr Blister (and the others who are now threatening to lose their lunch). They aren't as bigger problem as I thought they'd be, and with a bit of guidance are easy to deal with.
Dazza
--------

Rich A

« Reply #14 on: 00:04:33, 10/05/07 »

I will have to have a word with my vet he still uses alcohol.

I think they just use alcohol to kill the tick once it has been removed. You certainly can't crush the suckers.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy