Author Topic: Ticks & insects. A big Problem?  (Read 4946 times)

solo backpacker

Re: Ticks & insects. A big Problem?
« Reply #15 on: 17:00:22, 11/05/07 »
Ticks in the Times -

From The Times
May 11, 2007

Walkers at risk of a menace in the undergrowth!

Shirley English

Visitors to the countryside are being warned of an increased risk of contracting Lyme disease, amid a sharp rise in the tick population.

With the warm spring bringing out walkers, cyclists and riders. the Health Protection Agency is advising people to take precautions against tick bites particularly when visiting woods, heaths and moorland – and even suburban parks.

In England and Wales the number of diagnoses of Lyme disease rose to 684 last year. In Scotland reported cases have risen tenfold in a decade, last year doubling to 177.

The disease starts with an expanding, “bull’s-eye” rash and flu-like symptoms that are treated with antibiotics. If early warning signs go undetected, the bacteria may cause complications such as arthritis, meningitis, paralysis of facial muscles, depression and memory problems.

Britain’s milder winters, and wetter, warmer weather generally, provide an ideal breeding-ground for the tiny, spiderlike ticks – which have also had a devastating impact on grouse numbers. Last December was the warmest in Britain for 18 years and 2006 the warmest year on record.

Ixodes ricinus, the sheep tick, can live on most warm-blooded mammals, and attaches itself to humans by burying a probe into the skin to suck blood.

Ticks begin life as black insects the size of a pinhead, but swell to the size of a pea after gorging on blood, before turning grey and dropping off their host.

Their bite is painless, and they are so small that one might not know they are there. The insects cannot fly, but wait in grass, heather, bracken and trees for a host to brush past.

It is not known definitively how may ticks carry Lyme disease, Lyme borreliosis, but some experts estimate that it could be as high as one in three. Oxford University’s zoology department is charting hotspots.

John Cowden, an epidemiologist at Health Protection Scotland, said that there could be even more cases of Lyme disease than was known. “It could be down to milder weather, global warming, or the fact that more people are out walking.

“There is not a lot we can do other than advise people to be careful. We cannot get Lyme disease out of the environment. It is quite simply up to individuals to avoid catching it.”

Infestations used to be confined to late spring and summer, but the parasites are now continually active in some areas.

It is widely held that a tick must be attached for 24 hours to pass on Lyme disease, so removing it quickly is crucial. The disease then has a three-week incubation period.

Wearing long-sleeved tops and trousers, and shoes rather than open sandals, can help to prevent bites.

Ramblers Scotland said that the risk of contracting the disease was small. Helen Todd, of the organisation, said: “Lyme disease is serious, but I am a walker and in the past ten years I have had about four ticks.” Known Lyme disease areas are the Highlands, the Yorkshire Moors, the Lake District, Thetford Forest, the New Forest, Berkshire, Wiltshire, the South Downs and Exmoor.

Plenty to grouse about

— Scotland’s commercial grouse moors, which rely on seasonal shooting parties, have been hit hard by the sharp rise in the tick population

— Ticks infect grouse chicks with a virus called louping ill. It is fatal in 80 per cent of cases

— In the past 20 years the number of grouse chicks infested with ticks has risen from 4 per cent to more than 90 per cent

— The Game Conservancy Trust is doing trials in the Highlands whereby sheep are given treatments that attract ticks and kill the insects when they bite

— Highland estates have also taken steps to cull wild deer in a effort to reduce the number of potential tick “hosts” available

I also enjoy walking in infested areas - but now go prepared with a tick removal tool. For example the TRT may come in two sizes -- for small and for enormous ticks. Originally designed for our hairy pets, they work well for us bipedal types too. So all hikers visit your local vets who will sell you a TRT kit for a few pounds. Many know this already, as you need a high pain threshhold and a very steady hand indeed for the removal by tweezer approach. (I just hope I never meet the "enormous" variety of tick....)

steveh, Oxford, England

I travel to Scotland each year on a motorbike carrying a tent and very little else. The streams are my bathtub and bushes are my....well you get the idea. In the previous two years I've managed to pick up tics, and last year I had approximately 50 at once after a foolhardy, semi-clothed dose in a sunny meadow - all had to be pulled out with tweezers and drowned. Not much fun, still, no Lyme disease - fear not fellow countrysideophiles!

DB, Manchester, England

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1774638.ece
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:34:43, 11/05/07 »
Nice find, SB, though a little disconcerting  :-\

I hope you didn't have to type all that in??  :o

solo backpacker

« Reply #17 on: 17:47:33, 11/05/07 »
Mr. B - just came across it as I was reading the paper at the end of the day. funny how stuff like this crops up just when you've been chatting about it.

i got to the point of distilling the info into a smaller, easier to type version then had the brain wave of looking on the times website. glad i did!

looks like the threat is a real one and not getting any better. i remember being warned about them on the last survival course i went on. two of the organisers got lymes from them. lucky they knew the symptoms and got treatment quickly. won't stop me going out, i'll just check for them each day and watch for the symptoms.
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:29:33, 11/05/07 »
Yeah, it does seem to be on the increase.  I hadn't realised how small the ticks are - the size of a pinhead increasing to that of a pea after gorging on our blood!

I was also stunned to learn that it could be as many one in three that carry disease.  That's it, no more walking in shorts for this lad, it's trousers all the way from now on!  :P

But thanks for posting the article, interesting stuff.  ;)

solo backpacker

« Reply #19 on: 14:54:10, 13/05/07 »
pin head size kinda limits the success of searching for them as soon as you get back from walking, unless you have a very dedicated partner with a high power magnifying glass!

anyone have any ideas about how long it takes them to 'feed' to a decent size? pea sized should be easy to spot.

titaniumdude

« Reply #20 on: 15:35:04, 13/05/07 »
Though my partner is dedicated, she has no need of a high powered magnifying glass.........honest.

Didn't realise they started off that small the sneaky little [censored].  Must mean they 'eat' a volume of blood many times their own size and weight.

ps. I just noticed you're sig SB.  One of my favourite ever movie quotes.  Feel like I could do with a bit of the old 'Tyler Durdens' in my life sometimes. ;D
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

solo backpacker

« Reply #21 on: 18:24:37, 18/05/07 »
td - i know what you mean about the whole tyler durden thing, every time i read that quote i feel like reevaluating what i'm doing and making sure its really the right thing, bit of a motivator. i think we're all too caught up in the money thing (me especially!)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy