Author Topic: pennine bridleway  (Read 4762 times)

AD31AM

pennine bridleway
« on: 12:24:19, 14/10/07 »
who has walked it. what can i expected on the trail.
ie rough terrain etc ???

Deerplay

Re: pennine bridleway
« Reply #1 on: 22:34:00, 14/10/07 »
Do you mean the Pennine Bridleway or the Pennine Way? As far as I know the Pennine Bribleway is not yet complete but you can do the Southern section from Hartington, or Middleton in Derbyshire to the Mary Townley Loop which it joins just north of Rochdale at Summit. The bits further north are partly signed etc so you could probably work it out from the info you can get via Google. I've cycled the whole Mary Townley Loop in a day (45 miles), - it goes past near my house, and walked parts and other bits further south. A while ago I met a bunch of guys on bikes at Widdop who had cycled from Derbyshire, were intending completing the loop and cycling back. They were using B&B's. The Bridleway is obviously set up for horseriders and cyclists so is never too bad underfoot, and often surfaced to accommodate horses/bikes.  It does go up and down a bit though. This guy gives a good account of the Mary Townley Loop  from a cyclists perspective so you'll get the idea:- http://www.idonohoe.com/mountian_bike9.htm 

If however you mean the Pennine Way, many on this forum (including myself) can give you advice about that and if you search through this forum, you'll find quite a few accounts and bits of info.

Also look at the National Trails website at :- http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/PennineBridleway/downloads.asp?PageId=36  Hope this helps 
« Last Edit: 22:40:59, 14/10/07 by Deerplay »
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

AD31AM

« Reply #2 on: 19:33:47, 15/10/07 »
You definately know your stuff.
I am think of walking from Middleton (Derbyshire) to half way of the Mary Townley Loop.
What training should you do before this.... 
Thanks for the Links O0

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:41:59, 15/10/07 »
Try and get out as much as possible using a day pack until about one or two weeks before you start your long walk.  Than change to a larger pack the one your going to use.  As this well let you know how much your carrying and if you can handle all the weight of a big pack.  One good advice is to enjoy it.  ;D
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

AD31AM

« Reply #4 on: 19:46:54, 15/10/07 »
will running help me get prepared who is walking the answer to training...
What shape do you haave to be in ultra fit or quite fit..

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:18:02, 16/10/07 »
Hi there! No you don't have to be ultra fit you just need to prepare yourself  I know of a few people who didn't do much trainning and manged to finish a LDP.  Than I know of other people who couldn't finish there walk due to injury.  walking or running even swimming can help your trainning.  I prefer to walk using the kit that am going to take with me.  Also eating and drinking well through out will keep your strength up. and boost your energy levels up as well.  Hope this help :)
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

AD31AM

« Reply #6 on: 19:56:29, 16/10/07 »
Thanks for all the info ;)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:47:54, 18/10/07 »
will running help me get prepared who is walking the answer to training...
What shape do you haave to be in ultra fit or quite fit..

Whilst it is only my opinion I would suggest you get as fit as you can.Running is the best thing you can do and most of my training is running rather than walking.A month before the walk I get out carrying all the equipment I will carry on the trail and aim to walk for 7-10 hours on a Sunday.I still keep up the running but gradually taper it down and hardly run on the last week.Running works your cardio,keeps your weight down,and toughens your feet.Hindu squats are also excellent for strengthening the legs.Build up to around 200 a day but make sure you do it gradually.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy