Author Topic: Inner Soles  (Read 1654 times)

Moon Raker

Inner Soles
« on: 15:39:34, 03/08/17 »
Good afternoon

I have just returned from purchasing a pair of Salomon mid boots. Now I got these in Blacks, whilst I was trying them on I spotted a whole rack of coloured inner soles, all different colours and very expensive. All providing different levels of support to the feet and arches - in steps etc.

Now I enquired with the person who was selling me the boots, and he said that most boot manufactures only put in a cheap - thin - rubbish inner sole in the expectation people will buy their own, at £40 a go that is quite expensive especially when combined to the cost of the boots

Are these inner soles any good, are they worth the money

Anyone use them

I must admit I tried one in the boots I was buying and they felt uncomfortable on the arch of the foot, more so as I am almost flat footed

Moon Raker

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Inner Soles
« Reply #1 on: 16:07:21, 03/08/17 »
I've used different insoles before but not in the pair of Salomon boots I bought last year as they seem supportive/comfortable enough.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:15:51, 03/08/17 »
Blacks in Lincoln also sell a selection of Superfeet footbeds. But if the existing footbeds in the boots you buy are comfortable then there is no need to buy them. I use green Superfeet as they suit me and my foot problems. I also have some cheaper gel type footbeds that were recommended on this forum which I find great on pavements  and roads but I cannot remember their name. The fitter at Black's Lincoln  is excellent and ensures the boots fit properly first and foremost. No hard sales involved.  They prefer a satisfied customer to returned boots it would seem.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:16:58, 03/08/17 »

I have never got on with Superfeet, though a lot of people swear by them.  It seems to depend on the boots, my Altbergs and Lowa renegades seem fine with the insoles they have, but I put slightly cushioned soles into a pair of Scarpas which seemed to need them to avoid sore feet.
I would say, if the boots are comfortable without them, don't bother.  If you have a problem, then get advice about what kind of insoles you need for that specific problem. But I'm no expert.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:18:39, 03/08/17 »

With my old over-pronating feet I need insoles for walking long distances and running. I find Swartz for my boots are good and for my running shoes I use Vasillyi insoles with adaptations made by myself cos one foot goes over more than the other.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:20:37, 03/08/17 »

I have never got on with Superfeet, though a lot of people swear by them.  .

Same with me I actually had to ditch them on one cross Scotland walks and replaced them with some cheaper ones from Boots.

If you have had not problems with your feet and your boots are comfortable you probably do not need them.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:08:11, 03/08/17 »
Over the years, ive owned boots manufactured by Scarpa, Zamberland and Brasher, and their insoles were alway's excellent quality.
The only other insoles ive found that offer value for money, quality wise, are those made by Sorbothane.

Their not really a bargain, but their amongst the best quality aftermarket insoles you can buy, and one can feel the excellent cushioning they provide, and because their well made, can take serious punishment.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:29:45, 03/08/17 »
Over the years, ive owned boots manufactured by Scarpa, Zamberland and Brasher, and their insoles were alway's excellent quality.
The only other insoles ive found that offer value for money, quality wise, are those made by Sorbothane.

Their not really a bargain, but their amongst the best quality aftermarket insoles you can buy, and one can feel the excellent cushioning they provide, and because their well made, can take serious punishment.

See http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34785.0

It depends how often you walk, how far you walk and how you walk. Insoles are a very personal thing. I walked for miles using the manufacturer supplied insoles.  After a dose of Plantar Fasciitis I walked with orthotics for a while and when the condition cleared up I felt the original insoles weren't offering quite enough support so I went for some gel insoles.  When these wore thin I tried Sorbothane, they were an unmitigated disaster, never been so uncomfortable so I binned then and went back to gel insoles (Sidas).

If  I were the OP I would use the boots as is and only spend my hard earned cash once I had established a need.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:57:43, 03/08/17 »
Are these inner soles any good, are they worth the money

Anyone use them

I must admit I tried one in the boots I was buying and they felt uncomfortable on the arch of the foot, more so as I am almost flat footed

I use a Scholl insole to provide a bit of shock absorption due to a tendon problem.  An insole is often used as a corrective measure if you have problem feet or pain when you walk, or even to reduce the space inside a boot/shoe if you can't correct that with lacing techniques.  Personally, I don't think it's essential to replace the insole if you don't need to - everybody's feet and gait is different so if you've never needed to use them you may not need them.  However, if you have problems with your feet they might be worth looking into.

Naturally, a shop assistant is going to tell you they're the mutts nuts and your life will be greatly enhanced if you buy the most expensive pair  ::)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:24:48, 03/08/17 »
I wouldn't suggest that the inner soles provided by manufacturers are rubbish, but they are for my age, (72) for the weight that I carry and for the road walking that I have to do. I use Sorbothanes which I like, but by themselves they are not perfect. Over the last few years I have gained experience and knowledge about my feet, especially my left foot! I noticed that my boot sole wears quickly along the full length of the outer edge. So to correct this I cut a trainer inner soles longwise and put the appropriate piece of sole under the Sorbothane. I tilts my foot about 5 degrees and the good thing is that it now makes me walk neutrally and correctly. The end result for me, is better walking comfort, less chance of blisters, etc and far less boot sole wear.

wobblyknees

« Reply #10 on: 21:10:14, 03/08/17 »
I've found these excellent for pronation

http://www.healthystep.co.uk/

Great value too.

Lost_Yeti

« Reply #11 on: 14:18:58, 17/08/17 »
The insoles that came with my Bhutans were like a piece of cardboard, so tried several types of Superfeets with the new boots in store before buying.
The SFs were very comfortable and performed well, but they didn't last (about 4 months before the foam compressed to the point where they were rock hard) and bought replacement from Decathlon which were a whole lot cheaper.

jethro10

« Reply #12 on: 18:47:06, 17/08/17 »
Nowerdsays I usually but a few pair of gel ones when Aldi get them in so I have a spare pair when needed. Only 2 or 3 quid a pair. A tenth the price of walking shop ones and seem identical to the expensive ones I've previously bought.
J

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy