Author Topic: Complications? Medication.  (Read 1736 times)

tyreon

Complications? Medication.
« on: 13:50:42, 16/08/17 »

Some time back I booked a flight for an activity holiday in Portugal. To complete the holiday I need to continue to take an immunno suppresent medication. But recently I had to have a tooth removed with the added complication that the root remained in situ. The dentist told me he could not remove this root but this had to be done by oral surgeon(as is,he says I am now more open to infection). I am now on a waiting list(with no fixed date)for this surgery. My rheumatologist tells me I should not take the immunno suppressant medication until the surgery has been done. What now to do? Without the medication I will become more and more disabled. I can't take the medication until I have had the surgery. As of the present, no one will give me a date for this operation. Anyone had any similar experience herein?

I  am wondering if I should cancel this holiday? How disabled do have I to become before I am given the surgery? In advance of the surgery being open-ended(?)should I now begin seeing my doctor for additional medication for pain relief/getting some sleep.

My guess is this surgery would be done today if I were to pay privately

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Complications? Medication.
« Reply #1 on: 18:08:19, 16/08/17 »
Yes, speak to your doctor about your concerns.  It sounds a bit too much of a complicated situation and only you, under the guidance of your GP can make the best decision.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:12:50, 16/08/17 »
As Mel says speak to your GP, they may be able to speed up the op due to the negative affect of not being able to take your essential meds. I hope you get sorted out quickly so you can enjoy your holiday.
Hate will never win

tyreon

« Reply #3 on: 19:22:46, 16/08/17 »

Thanks for replies folks. My dentist returned my call today. I do not hold him at fault in any way. He told me I could volunteer to go private,and in which case it would be about £150,surgery performed by another qualified dentist. Or wait.
Have now written to my rheumatologist and doctor with a copy to the referral authority. This may mean me missing my holiday,paying out an excess,and having to go to my docs surgery for additional medication for pain killers and sleeping tablets(maybe antibiotics) whilst waiting for the surgery to take place. It also means an increased risk in getting an infection.
If I went private the dentist reckons I would be seen within 48 hrs and the tooth problem remedied. Mmmmmmm....
To be truthful I am not happy about this as I can see this scenario being rolled out across the NHS+++. Forgive the(false?) principled morality coupled with a spoonful of wanting to save ££s. Wottafiasco!

chip

« Reply #4 on: 19:50:57, 16/08/17 »
I know it's not ideal but if you can afford the £150 I would do that and go and enjoy your holiday.

tyreon

« Reply #5 on: 07:59:08, 17/08/17 »

Reasoned comment Chip. It is unfortunate that because I have been abused in the past I have now developed an intense dislike to discriminatory practice,especially when august authorities(with high paid executives)promote best practice whilst undermining its implementation. I may be at fault, but I see different practice and policing dependant upon(lack of) social standing.

I feel I am being bullied down a particular line

Ta.

chip

« Reply #6 on: 12:01:52, 17/08/17 »
Many years ago my uncle an avid walker was suffering with both his knees that both needed replacing, one worse than the other. He was not a rich man but was Sick of waiting for the NHS so decided he would have the worse of the two done privately and wait for the other to be done on the NHS.

He was so pleased with the outcome that he immediately made arrangements for the second to be done privately too.

He said it was the best decision he could have made as you only have so long on this earth and it got him pain free and walking and god knows how long he would have been waiting on the NHS to get around fixing it.

Is it worth missing a greatly anticipated holiday, risk to your health and time you won't get back for a point of principle and £150.

Speak to your go and see if he can speed up the process but if not do what's best for you.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:42:48, 17/08/17 »
Chip has put a persuasive case in a wonderfully diplomatic way: go private, if need be. I think he's right...but, of course, we could both be wrong.

In addition, you could consider asking your GP for a complaint form, since there's at least a fairly strong case for believing NHS was willing to treat you in a short sighted way, by delaying treatment, they might well have had to pay higher costs later because of impact on your health.

And similarly may well be worth sending a quick letter to your MP.

tyreon

« Reply #8 on: 19:09:26, 17/08/17 »

Pauldawes and Chips. Thanks for the kindness.

FWIW I telephoned to take the private extraction but the price had risen to £180 - £300. Having then said this,I am not sure if in going thru my original dentist I was going to get a discount!

Anyways,wanting and worrying about my condition and the need to take my biologic(to suppress my immune system),I then telephoned 111. What a kind and supportive helpline...and far different from the medical helpline nurse employed by my drugs manufacturer(imperial,short,confrontative,dismissive). She seemed taken aback by my having to go private and having to pay up to £300. I am to get a call back later in the evening with further advice(maybe an idea of a waiting time?) She also suggested telephoning around other dentists who have the skills/qualifications/experience in taking out the root on the NHS. She made it sound quite reasonable/easy. I plan to do this,and would even pay the £150 if it would resolve the matter.

Earlier in the day I had telephoned my travel insurance co to inform them of my present predicament,and that I might have to make a claim. Again,a reasoned and customer friendly response.

Now I am just hoping I can get the rootextracted so's I can take the biologic.

I hope things work out. Ta for all your replies

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:35:10, 17/08/17 »
Good luck. We all know just how fraught these health issues are, till they are sorted.

Incidentally, I hadn't realised until fairly recently how "tooth issues"  can be closely linked to other health issues. (A relative couldn't have a major op until a long standing wisdom tooth problem was sorted.)
« Last Edit: 19:48:19, 17/08/17 by pauldawes »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:50:16, 21/08/17 »
A difficult one and I've had similar problems as well. Always remember though going private is no guarantee that your treatment and outcome will be better. I was once plagued by hernias and have had 7 hernias repaired to date. I had the first two repaired by the NHS in the early 90s. One failed so I decided to pay cash to get it done quickly. I had the op, paid over the lolly and then noticed that about three weeks later the 'groin bulge' appeared again. I trotted off to see the private surgeon, he told me (THE LIAR!) that it was fine, it was "just a weak muscle" which would mend itself over the next few weeks. Stupidly I accepted his diagnosis and waited but it stayed the same. I went back, the surgeon was not there, his underling suggested I might like to try a 'sports truss' for a week or two. He colluded in the lie!

I went down into the hospital basement to see the 'Truss Man' who's first comment was, "Another hernia mate", no said I, just a weak muscle, "Never!" said he, "I've been measuring people for trusses for donkeys years, you have a hernia mate!"

I went back up to the surgeons office, annoyed obviously and booked an appointment to see the surgeon again. About two weeks later the receptionist phoned to tell me that the surgeon had left to work in the USA. He took my money with him!

in the end I had it done on the NHS again. Its only recently that I feel now that my hernia's will not appear again. My last one was in 2015 when I was walking on the GR10 across the Pyrenees. That's repaired now, I have loads of plastic netting across the affected area, even a tank wouldn't now penetrate my groin defences!

I hope you have good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy