Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292302 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #525 on: 13:28:17, 06/07/18 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D @ everyone's replies

Ya boggers  O0
Hate will never win

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #526 on: 15:57:14, 16/07/18 »
Just bought some Karrimor carbon fibre walking poles as frequently commented on in this forum.  Crikey they are extremly light. Hope they do the job as good as my last pair of cheapie aluminium poles. That is very nearly the last of my Christmas gift tokens spent.Maybe looking for an extremely light tarp to finish off my kit expenditure for the year. Suggestions  anyone? Oh and did I mention, cheap.

Too little, too late, too bad......

RogerA

« Reply #527 on: 16:14:11, 16/07/18 »
I just got myself a small backpack to use when I dont need the space my Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro + 35:45 offers. Only needed to be simple and cheap - just enough for some water and a few odds and ends so got this Lixada 15l backpack:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VLPKL6G/
Very happy with it (price has gone up a little since I purchased)

dank86

« Reply #528 on: 20:46:44, 08/08/18 »
My last item was an alpkit numo sleeping mat

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #529 on: 22:15:28, 11/09/18 »
My latest walking kit purchase was a pair of Craghoppers Pro-Stretch trousers from Winfields.  Normally they seem to be £45 but they were reduced to £29.99.  I had some gift vouchers from Xmas/birthday so I actually paid £4.99 for them  O0

I went in looking for new walking shoes  :-[

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #530 on: 23:05:51, 11/09/18 »
Rab Downpour Jacket from Cotswold Outdoor, with my 15% off with Friends of the Lake District membership it was £85. It will get a waterproofness test this weekend most likely  :)
Hate will never win

Couchwalker

« Reply #531 on: 13:26:36, 26/09/18 »
Other than a map of Dartmoor for our upcoming holiday, my latest purchase was a compass. Now I need to learn how to use it properly and hopefully we'll be able to find our way back to the cottage we have rented.

In the next couple of weeks I will be looking at trousers and backpack, if I can ever decide which to go for!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #532 on: 15:39:47, 26/09/18 »
I usually use the Red Sidas Gel 2012 insoles but Amazon were out of stock in my size so I tried a different set of Sidas Gel insoles in my boots today - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HAWDK1M/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_2
Quite comfortable at the start but in the bin after 8 miles and replaced by the maufacturer's owninsoles which I put in my pack "just in case*
 The new ones gave me exactly the same problems as I have had with Sorbothane Double Strike insoles.  At first they are fine but after a while my feet got hot and sore underneath.  I think it is down to the excessive degree of softness which allows the insole to expand and contract generating friction as it as it moves laterally with respect to my foot.

Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #533 on: 16:50:05, 26/09/18 »
This afternoon,ive managed to obtain a almost mint Camera Care System pouch for my Digital SLR camera.
It was collecting dust in a local charity shop in Porthmadog, so i still gave them a crisp £10 note for it.
CCS camera equipment was amongst the best quality gear you could buy back in the 1980s and early 90s.
It was a very sad day when they went into receivership, as no company really has rivalled them for durability and quality.

Lowe Alpine make camera cases or pouches, but the quality is simply not there compared to those of CCS.

Chuffed to bits when i saw it on their shelf, as their now getting very hard to find, and they were more than pleased with my offer of a tenner, as they had marked it up for a silly £4.
« Last Edit: 16:55:10, 26/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

nigellionhearts

« Reply #534 on: 18:10:14, 26/09/18 »
This afternoon,ive managed to obtain a almost mint Camera Care System pouch for my Digital SLR camera.
It was collecting dust in a local charity shop in Porthmadog, so i still gave them a crisp £10 note for it.
CCS camera equipment was amongst the best quality gear you could buy back in the 1980s and early 90s.
It was a very sad day when they went into receivership, as no company really has rivalled them for durability and quality.

Lowe Alpine make camera cases or pouches, but the quality is simply not there compared to those of CCS.

Chuffed to bits when i saw it on their shelf, as their now getting very hard to find, and they were more than pleased with my offer of a tenner, as they had marked it up for a silly £4.

I agree all modern pouch's are just not to the same standard as CCS, however they are very abrasive against delicate fabrics.  I had my SLR pouch slung over my shoulder for just 1 hour on Dartmoor before I noticed the abrashion damaged it caused to my Montane Lite-speed jacket.  Okay on tougher fabrics so now carefull what I'm wearing if I use this case. O0

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #535 on: 19:05:39, 26/09/18 »
Other than a map of Dartmoor for our upcoming holiday, my latest purchase was a compass. Now I need to learn how to use it properly and hopefully we'll be able to find our way back to the cottage we have rented.

In the next couple of weeks I will be looking at trousers and backpack, if I can ever decide which to go for!

You probably know already, but just in case you don’t...

If that map of Dartmoor you bought was an ordnance survey one, and you’ve got a smartphone you can download OS map app onto your phone, then download map details into the app.

That makes it a fair bit easier to navigate around, because your position on on-line map (on phone) and other key details are shown as you move around.

But yes, still just about essential to learn basic map/compass techniques.
« Last Edit: 19:10:07, 26/09/18 by pauldawes »

Couchwalker

« Reply #536 on: 20:06:12, 26/09/18 »

If that map of Dartmoor you bought was an ordnance survey one, and you’ve got a smartphone you can download OS map app onto your phone, then download map details into the app.

That makes it a fair bit easier to navigate around, because your position on on-line map (on phone) and other key details are shown as you move around.

But yes, still just about essential to learn basic map/compass techniques.

Thanks very much  Paul, I wasn't aware that you could do all that with it. This is my first ever OS map and although it mentioned something about downloading it to your phone, I assumed it was just the map, I didn't realise it was GPS location as well. I will use it as a backup to my map and compass skills.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #537 on: 20:18:12, 26/09/18 »
You need to have location switched on on your phone in order to grab the gps positioning.
EDITED 27/09/2018
Just bit the bullet today and subscribed to the 1:25 OS annual subscription via Viewranger.

« Last Edit: 11:49:17, 27/09/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #538 on: 21:18:03, 27/09/18 »
OL9 OL28 OS Explorer sheets 109, 113,114,127. Anyone spot an underlying theme?

You have bought North Devon and need to explore your estate.

As for the Bodmin Map, that is my patch. ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #539 on: 22:22:44, 27/09/18 »

You have bought North Devon and need to explore your estate.

As for the Bodmin Map, that is my patch. ;)

Was your patch  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy