Author Topic: Whitehelmets  (Read 1097 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Whitehelmets
« on: 20:52:24, 01/09/18 »
I love my boots (North Face Verbera). Want another pair before these ones wear out.

Wrote to North Face to see if they were still making them as everywhere is out of stock. They are no longer for sale.
On doing a bit of surfing (web variety), I came across a site "whitehelmets.co.uk" which seems to have them in plentiful supply at half price. They also have other boots at great prices.
My question is, has anyone (Kinky boots I am really thinking of you) heard anything about this Web based company?
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Whitehelmets
« Reply #1 on: 21:03:01, 01/09/18 »
Never heard of them.

No land based postal address.

No contact details whatsoever.

The option of many different currencies.

... personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:18:30, 01/09/18 »
The site is verified through Nominet when you look up the "whois" which is a way towards verifying a web site BUT  they seem to share a site name with a British Army Motorcycle display team.
Curiouser and curiouser.
( Is curiouser actually a word)
Oh and for anyone interested Boyes are flogging end of line Merrills for £50.00.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:28:28, 01/09/18 »
The site is verified through Nominet when you look up the "whois" which is a way towards verifying a web site BUT  they seem to share a site name with a British Army Motorcycle display team.

Regrettably now disbanded, defence cuts  >:(
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:29:07, 01/09/18 »
Just had a look on there and it's not telling me anything meaningful.  Matching a third party data source (most likely the motorcycle site you mention) doesn't verify anything apart from it exists and was probably bought by the current owner as a readily set up website.  White helmets sounds like it's more to do with motorcycles than hiking don't you think?

Their shipping and returns policy isn't worth the cyber paper it's written on and is heavily weighted in their favour. 

Domain name: whitehelmets.co.uk Data validation: Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 30-Sep-2017[/pre]
[/pre]Sorry, but I honestly wouldn't trust it.[/pre]

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:36:08, 01/09/18 »
using my internet detective skills   :D :D :D , the site (fake) is taken from an old no longer used website, which as you can see is almost identical. The site linked was also a fake, the original domain sold scooters.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170218171233/http://www.manhattanscooters.com.au/

god, I'm good, lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:46:10, 01/09/18 »
Thanks.

I was just about to buy when I remembered the old adage. IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE etcetera.

I'll have to look for other boots then, won't  I?
My ill fitting Salomons that I only really used to walk around my daily town route have suffered a parting of the ways between  the upper and sole. Never really liked them anyway but they should have lasted a lot longer than they did.Love my main boots (Verberas) but alas cannot source anymore.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:12:52, 02/09/18 »
There must be a good business for scammers given how many of these scam sites are out there.

Definitely good advice to avoid like the plague.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy