Author Topic: Help! Family trip with young kids  (Read 734 times)

Clairewalker

Help! Family trip with young kids
« on: 14:03:56, 16/08/19 »
Hi there
Please can anyone help with any ideas for this? Or recommendations?

My hubbies 40th is coming up v soon and thought of booking us a christmas trip where we can do some hiking with the kids age 4 and 6.  They love the outdoors but the 4 yr old in particular is not good with the cold or long distances. So realistically need more of a base with some nice hill walks.  Can’t spend much unfortunately.   Hoping to fly somewhere slightly warmer... maybe lanzarote, Ibiza ...  any ideas anyone?  He is the hiker / climber / holiday booker in the relationship but would love to surprise him with something special for his 40th.
Thanks so much! Claire

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Help! Family trip with young kids
« Reply #1 on: 14:29:58, 16/08/19 »
My suggestion is Gran Canaria, I flew out there last February, the weather was really good. I'm sure the children would enjoy whizzing around on the local buses, cheap and really good, all over the island. I stayed in a hostel in the centre of the island for a couple of nights, old converted stables, a bit shabby, totally informal, very nice young staff, the kids which I met there then were running around to their heart's content. I can't remember the name, I got it off Airb&b. When I got to Cruz de Tejeda and faced the posh hotel I just turned left down the road until a gap appeared in the right-hand side of the metal barriers. An obvious winding footpath just drops down to the right and the hostel is just away from the road when you get to the road. From the hostel itself, you can walk downhill again to a lovely little village, bars, shops, trinkets, coffee shops and so on. A bit of a puff getting back though. Buses can be caught near to the hostel or from the village. Walks all around you, mostly a bit steep. Great fun!

Clairewalker

« Reply #2 on: 20:49:23, 16/08/19 »
Thank you! Sounds like a good option

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:04:56, 16/08/19 »
Have a look at the Sierra de Bernia which is behind Altea just to the north of Benidorm.
https://tripkay.com/destination-guides/en/what-to-do-and-see/the-sierra-de-bernia/
There is a walk right through the mountain that the kids may enjoy.
http://michaelsmapsanddirections.blogspot.com/2009/12/sierra-bernia-circuit_22.html
At Calpe there is an enormous rock called El Peñon de Ifach that has a path all the way up which they would like too.
https://www.beautifulworld.com/europe/spain/penon-de-ifach/

There is also good walking nearby behind Alicante
https://www.spain-holiday.com/Alicante-province/articles/six-favourite-mountains-in-alicante
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:22:36, 16/08/19 »
Altea, Calpe, know it very well. We had a house in Calpe for 30 years. Yes an excellent idea, a local train runs from Alicante to Denia which is great for moving up and down the coast. Climb the Ifach mountain at Calpe, I did it at least 20 times, dragged my son up on his reigns as well. A tunnel on the way up and the view from the top is great. Also along the promenade of Calpe there are two Roman mermaids carved into the rocks, about 1800 years old we were told. Not many people, not even locals, know they are there.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:18:55, 17/08/19 »
I am a fan of Lanzarote and many of the walks are straightforward. There are various free descriptions of routes and lots of other information on my website. One which might appeal to a four year old is from Playa Quemada to Puerto del Carmen, where you can introduce a boat ride. If the overall walk is too long, you could just get the boat from Puerto  Calero and walk back.

Another would be what I call the Hidden Garden of Casita. He would find the grotto fascinating. Take a cheap toy to leave.

Make sure you keep well supplied with hats, sun cream and water, for him especially. The sun can be fierce.

Clairewalker

« Reply #6 on: 09:29:56, 18/08/19 »
Thanks all for your kind suggestions.
So pleased I found the forum!

I’ll look into these options and others welcome too.  Can always save any options we don’t use this time for future holidays.

Thanks again.

Claire

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy