Author Topic: Hello walkers  (Read 2159 times)

James_Lincs

Hello walkers
« on: 22:19:02, 16/05/18 »
Hey everyone my name is James, I'm 31 and from the Lincolnshire/Humberside area in the UK.

Me and my girlfriend have been talking about going on some countryside walks for a while now but we're not quite sure where to get started. I thought we could start small with some local circular walks and build our way up to some big hikes. I was in a walking club back in primary school and I know there's some beautiful countryside nearby but I can't remember where we went, some recommendations for places to visit would be great.

Eventually we want to build up to proper long distance hiking and a trip to Scotland to hike through the amazing scenery there is on our bucket list.

Looking forward to getting out there!

Deolman

Re: Hello walkers
« Reply #1 on: 06:24:49, 17/05/18 »
Hi from Merseyside. Take a look at walkingworld.com. Small price to pay for individual walks but annual subscription offers good value. Lots of walks suitable for all levels, I have used them for years.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:04:54, 17/05/18 »
Welcome from Portsmouth

zuludog

« Reply #3 on: 09:14:17, 17/05/18 »
Welcome!

Walking can't be that difficult, millions of people do it every day

Get a 1: 50,000 Landranger Ordnance Survey map of your local area. You will see paths & features that you already know, and that will get you used to the scale, and planning
Go on a short walk in an area you are familiar with, like starting at the end of your street, and build it up from there

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:16:41, 17/05/18 »
Welcome from Shropshire.
Simplest start point would be online;
Find a start point locally, preferably with a postal code, click on http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ and past it in. Go 2bars back on the zoom control and you will have the 1:50,000 OS Landranger map. Zoom up by another bar and you will be on the 1:25,000 OS Explorer map. When familiar with the setting go for the large screen.

Find some footpaths, even quiet lanes, for every km square you cross you will walk about 2/3 mile if you are more comfortable with non metric.
IMO best way to start, best of luck.

I suppose if you cannot print of screen shots a mobile phone will capture the maps, not having a mobile that option is an unknown.
« Last Edit: 11:22:59, 17/05/18 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:43:10, 17/05/18 »
HI from lincolnshire.
The Lincolnshire Wolds would be a great and easy access  place to look at.The Viking Way runs from the Humber through Lincoln to Oakham in Rutland. A very nice walk.  A great way to get walking legs.  Nothing too steep though there are hills. Free details on Lincolnshire County Council website.

Have fun.
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:49:02, 17/05/18 »

HI from lincolnshire.
The Lincolnshire Wolds would be a great and easy access  place to look at.The Viking Way runs from the Humber through Lincoln to Oakham in Rutland. A very nice walk.  A great way to get walking legs.  Nothing too steep though there are hills. Free details on Lincolnshire County Council website.

Have fun.

Maybe this will help the OP.

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/countryside/visiting/walking/viking-way/120966.article

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:27:52, 17/05/18 »
Welcome, the countryside in the Lincs Wolds is beautiful. Louth is a good place to base yourself or Market Rasen.
It's all uphill from here.

James_Lincs

« Reply #8 on: 20:27:54, 17/05/18 »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone I'll have a look :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:32:17, 17/05/18 »
Welcome, the countryside in the Lincs Wolds is beautiful. Louth is a good place to base yourself or Market Rasen.
O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

RogerA

« Reply #10 on: 09:33:24, 21/05/18 »
Welcome from North Warwickshire!

rosam

« Reply #11 on: 21:11:42, 26/05/18 »
Hey everyone my name is James, I'm 31 and from the Lincolnshire/Humberside area in the UK.

Me and my girlfriend have been talking about going on some countryside walks for a while now but we're not quite sure where to get started. I thought we could start small with some local circular walks and build our way up to some big hikes. I was in a walking club back in primary school and I know there's some beautiful countryside nearby but I can't remember where we went, some recommendations for places to visit would be great.

Eventually we want to build up to proper long distance hiking and a trip to Scotland to hike through the amazing scenery there is on our bucket list.

Looking forward to getting out there!
Hello and welcome.
I am not able to help as I live in the south but as I newbie myself I know the feeling. For me, I am using 2 apps to help me find paths and walks around my area. Alltrails and Viewranger   I have also joined the local Meetup groups to go for walks with other people (sometimes I fancy company)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy