Author Topic: waskerley way again  (Read 4213 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
waskerley way again
« on: 16:42:01, 18/01/08 »
This was my second walk on this path this year. This was abother Durham County Council walk lead by full time Ranger Dave who's empire covers quite a bit of the upper parts of the Derwent valley. I was the "steward" helped by another voluntary Ranger, Bruce.
When I arrived at Waskerley station, it seemed highly unlikely that anybody would turn up for this walk as it was blowing a gale and sleeting enthusiastically.
One car arrived, waited for their windows to steam up and then left again.
In the next half an hour, twenty people turned up, all determined to have a walk, and so, at just after noon, we set off.
Dave had taken the precaution of parking a van at Whitehall picnic site, five miles down the Waskerley Way and so, thats where we went, downhill all the way with the wind behind us. 
Shortly after we set off, the weather quickly realised that it had been outflanked and it cleared up, giving us the opportunity to explore the Burnhill wildlife conservation area on the way. This is a project which involves local schools (mainly from Tow Law) in work to provide habitats for 3 different species of butterflies.
We used the van to ferry the walkers who were also drivers back to the start and, this and various other combined tactics got everybody away from the end of the walk.
Thats enough Waskerley stuff for me for a while anyway.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: waskerley way again
« Reply #1 on: 18:10:44, 18/01/08 »
Good little walk.

Well done, you seem to have a knack at encouraging others into the 'great outdoors' - it almost seems like everytime I look at this forum nowadays, you've posted up another report.

Keep 'em coming, buddy.  O0

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:18:22, 18/01/08 »
Thanks for the encouragement - just wait till termorrer, though! Its going to be sunny and the dog fancies Borrowdale! (he's very bright)

Watch this space----------->                        <---------------------------that space
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:24:57, 18/01/08 »
Watching it ... and I suppose you're just going to let the dog drag you along!

I don't know, I think you're trying to have me believe you get nothing from this hiking business.  ;)

Borrowdale, eh? Will look forward to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy