Author Topic: Good hiking (and running) underwear  (Read 873 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Good hiking (and running) underwear
« on: 21:37:49, 30/07/20 »
When I hike or run I'm very picky about the underwear I wear, I just like to be super comfortable. The best-designed ones that I own are made by Decathlon but their drawback is they are not so good at sweat control. Their best features are that they wash and dry super easy and their 1" wide elasticated waistband, grips well and does not roll over into a narrower band. They are very comforable to wear though.

Recently I decided to go upmarket and bought two BAM bamboo material boxers. Very comfortable, the waistband is as well but its too wide for me and they are slightly too long, I can always feelthe waistband around my waist all of the time. I don't like waistbands around my waist, I prefer it to be just below my Iliac Crest. The Bam's are easy to wash but on the back of my rucksack they would take too long to dry. I'm happy to wear them for day to day use.

I then bought two pairs of Odlo F-dry boxers. Lovely synthetic material, cool and really comfortable and I'm sure easy to wash and dry as well but are really let down by their waistband. Elastic but not enough, putting them on and pulling them up feels like the band will soon split and once on properly the waistband then rolls over to make a thinner band which then cuts into my skin.

I've written to Odlo to query this problem. I'd be happy to buy Odlo products but only if they have other models with a different type of waistband. I have some older Odlo's already and they have always been perfect but they are briefs and I'm not keen on briefs when walking or running.

Booga

Re: Good hiking (and running) underwear
« Reply #1 on: 10:22:08, 31/07/20 »
I've been trying to research underwear recently after finding my usual loose fitting boxers were too baggy and so started rubbing on long walks. I was tempted to try Decathlon "seamless" boxers but their reviews suggest they actually have one seam right where you don't want it! :o I'll be passing Henley on the Thames Path today so plan on popping into the Rohan shop who seem to have a few different styles of undies to check out.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:52:35, 31/07/20 »
The Decathlon underwear that I use are supremely comfortable, I've never noticed a seam problem. The material is elastically and they grip not just around your waist but all over their surface area as well. It is important to get the right size though, I'm a Medium (32" waist) but for hiking, I wear their Large size, its support and comfort I'm looking for most of all. I wear the Medium size for running, the grip is a bit tighter but at £3.99 a pair they are really good.

The other benefit for me when hiking is, I wear one and the other one is washed and drying. They hand wash so easily and dry fast as well, the material they are made of does not absorb much water unlike merino and bamboo. As stated the downside of my boxers is if thay are too tight they can be a bit hot (which is why I wear the Large size which solves the problem) and the odour control is not as good as more expensive ones but once off and dry there is no odour problem at all.

I must admit on a hot sticky day when I'm sure no one is around I can just drop my trousers for a few minutes and the perspration around that area quickly goes away and I'm cool again. I can't do that with my marino or bamboo boxers, it would take too long.

Waldini

« Reply #3 on: 12:38:47, 05/08/20 »
I'm a fatty and the chub-rub is an issue sometimes! I'm seriously looking into decent underwear for my first walking holiday - 6 days walking doesn't bear thinking about if I'm walking like John Wayne the entire time  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:45:05, 05/08/20 »
I'm a fatty and the chub-rub is an issue sometimes! I'm seriously looking into decent underwear for my first walking holiday - 6 days walking doesn't bear thinking about if I'm walking like John Wayne the entire time  ;D
Medicated talc generously applied to your "important little places" before you set off can be helpful.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:19:26, 05/08/20 »
+1 for the Decathlon underwear, even the cheaper version with seams - no bother at all.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:52:41, 05/08/20 »
I've had a reply from Odlo, just the usual 'salespeak' guff. I complained about the lack of elasticity of their waistbands and because once in position the waistband it then curls over to make an ever-narrower and by now an uncomfortable waistband. The material and quality of the rest of the products are first class, even better than my Decathlon underwear, but then again the Odlo's are double or nearly treble the price.

They wrote back but didn't acknowledge the waistband problem at all, just waffled on about the quality of their product line and informed me that they also make different models but lo and behold they are more expensive! They also sent me a 10% off voucher if I buy their product again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy