Author Topic: 4 day walk approx 40-50 miles - suggestions plse, esp yorks or peaks  (Read 11411 times)

durhamgirl

Hi - a friend and I have a Mon - Fri available in May and want to be out walking, we are reasonably fit and used to long-ish day walks and 1-2 week trekking. BUT we aren't great with compass, serious map reading etc so would find it stressful to have to navigate difficult terrain - most of our big treks have been with groups. We are trying to find something reasonably waymarked or routed, pref in yorkshire or derbyshire, that we could do on our own. I wondered about The Herriot Way - but some sites say compass reading impt and easy to lose the way, same with the Dales Way. Thought about of the Y/shire Moors Inn Way but that too has a day where compass and good map reading important....

my parents live near Richmond so if isn't circular they could help in picking us up, also have a friend in Pickering who would do the same - otherwise may need it to be circular

I'd be really grateful for any advice

Ian s

• Veteran Member
If you're planning to do a section of a long distance walk like the Dales Way or the Coast to Coast then why not have a look through of one of the guidebooks that give route descriptions and diagrams as well as maps? that might give you some help with the navigation issues.
It should be possible to pick sections of the routes which don't involve potentially serious open ground navigation.

I recall Cicerone do a Dales Way book:
www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/464/iid/4/show/introduction

Have fun!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

durhamgirl

Thanks Ian, that is a useful link.

I have bought a few walk books in the hope they would solve the problem just to find comments like 'a compass is recommended on this section' so was hoping for some advice before increasing the weight on the bookcase and lightening that in my purse!! It is tricky to tell just how troublesome a route is going to be from just the brief overviews.

thanks again

Ian s

• Veteran Member
I understand the problem! and the cost of all those books could get you Nav course to help hone your skills!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Buy this months trail magazine it has a section on using a map and compass. It has tought me the necessary skills.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
If you were to have a crack at some sections of the Dales Way, you'd find that most of it is at quite a low level, apart from a section between Langstrothdale and Dentdale. The consequences of becoming "dislocated" on most of it aren't really all that serious and its generally pretty well waymarked and signposted and popular with other walkers - so you should be able to relax and enjoy it. I dont think you'd find it all that difficult even if you're not 100% sure which way North is.

On the other hand (there's always another hand!) - whenever I get a bit lost, its nearly always on low-level field paths just like the Dales Way! Its all those damn walls and fences that confuse me. Anybody who's never been lost hasn't really been out enough yet!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I was in Somerset last week (only a couple of days short walks as with all the family) and we stayed in a cottage with a great selection of walking books. One evening I read the Wolds Way guide, I think it was about 70 miles so you may not want to do it all, but I remember the book saying that though you should take map & compass you would never use them as it was so well signposted.

I know no more than that but it may be worth looking in to.

durhamgirl

hi everyone - thanks so much for the responses, I have bought the copy of Trail suggested and having looked at the routes have decided on The Herriot Trail, with an extra day walk to make it the 5 days. Circular does make all the car issues easier. Loved the look of the Dales Way and have decided to do it when we are able to do the whole route as would be a shame to miss some out, sounds like it is within our capabilities navigationally after all. Did look at The Wolds way actually, thanks, but have been seduced into the notion of using a baggage courier ('tis a holiday after all!). For others The Tabular Way was a strong contender for a while but also lost out on the baggage courier front.

many thanks for taking the time to help me.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
It'll be fab - enjoy yourselves, and remember, this is not the time to give up drinking....

I s'pose you'll be providing some kind of trip report

(I met 2 Americans who were doing the Herriot Way a couple of years ago, which was really handy as they took my hotel bedroom keys back which I'd just found in my pocket after walking six miles!)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Mairi

quote: 
we aren't great with compass, serious map reading etc so would find it stressful to have to navigate difficult terrain

Re learning navigation- best hint from the pal who taught me navigating was to get loads of practice in places where you know exactly where you are.  :-\

Snowman

On the other hand (there's always another hand!) - whenever I get a bit lost, its nearly always on low-level field paths just like the Dales Way!

Spot on.

The only places I ever get lost are in the woods in the Chilterns.    The map shows about 3 paths, but when you get there the place is a huge network of paths meandering about so much that even using a compass is a waste of time, because you follow a path in the 'right' direction that turns 90 degrees after 20 yards.   But walking across the undulating but featureless ranges of Dartmoor - no problem.

Enjoy your trip, but for the future it might be worth investing in the Long Distance Walkers' Association book, which shows walks from ranging from a few miles to the SW Coast Path.

S

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy