Author Topic: [TR] Ruabon Moors 2-day backpack  (Read 2337 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
[TR] Ruabon Moors 2-day backpack
« on: 06:46:07, 16/09/19 »
The first backpack after a 9-week recovery from the dreaded plantar fasciitis, very nearly healed now.

A 2-day route traversing the Ruabon moors to the north-east of Llangollen, an extensive area of high heather moorland forming the eastern fringe of the Dee hills.

The approach to Esclusham Mountain from Coedpoeth visits the Minera lead mines and skirts the extensive Minera limestone quarries, a geological site that is now an important conservation area at varying stages of recolonisation.

The southern section follows the high level traverse of Eglwyseg Mountain above the superb line of incised crags that we saw from below on our last backpack three months ago, giving excellent views to the west. This section is part of the Llangollen Round and occasionally waymarked.

The final section passes through Trevor Quarry, discovered quite fortuitously, and joins the Llangollen canal for an easy finish in Llangollen.
Both days of this trip were in almost constant sunshine, chilly nights and warm days giving excellent views.

Full report & photos

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] Ruabon Moors 2-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 07:49:11, 16/09/19 »
Great Photos, it is a favourite area for us. Seeing them makes me feel that will be back there soon. Did you spot a rather attractive area of off open woodland, of the south end of the Ruabon Mountain. I think you would have to veer off the righteous way to walk through it, was one of our treasured finds of our last walk in that area.

Interesting info on the plane crashes and bombs, hadn't picked up on that. Apparently the fenlands of Whixall Moss, N. Shropshire were used as a deliberate decoy area with well prepared beacons to trick German Bombers en route to Liverpool.
« Last Edit: 08:01:31, 16/09/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:55:15, 16/09/19 »
An excellent one-nighter, vghikers; I enjoyed reading your blog. Glad that your injury is on the mend.

Despite living in Snowdonia for upwards of 17 years, I never really got to grips with this lovely limestone country, a couple of day trips but that was it. An omission on my part.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:00:50, 16/09/19 »
@bww - thanks a lot, it's a beautiful area to walk in fine sunny weather. I think I remember seeing woodland in the distance in the non-access area, otherwise we did enjoy the sparse windblown scots pines alongside the path. That's interesting about the wartime decoys, these hills have claimed so many young pilots.

@richard - thanks very much, a great couple of days. The damned heel pain is all but gone now, it seems like an age.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:20:18, 16/09/19 »
Pleased you are out again vghikers, I hope your foot is ok after your trip. Interesting landscape, great pics  O0
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:40:24, 16/09/19 »
Thanks April. I thought I'd suffer from walking on the bad foot, but oddly it feels even better after the trip.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:54:04, 16/09/19 »
Enjoyed reading that O0  Only been to llangollen a few times and only walked the hills the once, although passed through there on countless journeys. A lovely place that deserves another visit. Nice one O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:44:45, 17/09/19 »
Thanks redeye, plenty of good hillwalking around Llangollen which always seems to be heaving, even on dank days in November.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy