Author Topic: Goodbye.  (Read 2838 times)

rambling oldie

Re: Goodbye.
« Reply #15 on: 09:47:09, 21/05/20 »
As others above have mentioned, nit picking and "going off on one" are part of human nature unfortunately.
I don't contribute often but I read daily and see a lot of very interesting things that add to my joy of rambling.  I just pass over the occasional rant, you get 'em everywhere, even from me at home and among my friends though don't get me started on that!

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:05:20, 21/05/20 »
Nit picking, politics, trolling, all of the reasons I am leaving this site. Goodbye.

Me too. I won't be leaving though, I will read but it's unlikely that I will post a comment. There are people who are unable to have a civilized discussion, and unable to see anyone else's point of view except their own. They are too full of their own self importance, always have to have the last word, always in your face, and always think they are right. People that I would not like to meet in real life. I got shouted down, well that's it, no more.

It's a shame, as a walking forum it's good, I have learnt a lot from it, so thank you to those who make useful contributions and share walking related information.

ilona

Florence Lamb

« Reply #17 on: 14:39:30, 21/05/20 »
"It's a shame, as a walking forum it's good, I have learnt a lot from it, so thank you to those who make useful contributions and share walking related information."

I agree with you Ilona.  It's a shame though that posts seem to drift off from the original topic more frequently now.
I read posts very regularly but I rarely comment or post now having experience of those who always think they are right......having to have the last word.  I guess though that this is human nature and we have to ignore it and enjoy the useful contributions and information that is available on the Forum.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:47:42, 21/05/20 »
I think that's a great shame Fit Old Bird - you tend to walk in places I don't but I find your contributions interesting, and your off topic ones thought provoking.  I hope you will reconsider as things, hopefully, calm down.

Paul

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:30:48, 21/05/20 »
Me too. I won't be leaving though, I will read but it's unlikely that I will post a comment. There are people who are unable to have a civilized discussion, and unable to see anyone else's point of view except their own. They are too full of their own self importance, always have to have the last word, always in your face, and always think they are right. People that I would not like to meet in real life. I got shouted down, well that's it, no more.

It's a shame, as a walking forum it's good, I have learnt a lot from it, so thank you to those who make useful contributions and share walking related information.

ilona

Don't go ilona your posts are always interesting and we'll put, don't let the boring old so and so get to you.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:24:29, 21/05/20 »

ilona

I hope that you do continue, Ilona; I value your contributions.

Just ignore the people that annoy you - sometimes easier said than done, I know.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:58:07, 21/05/20 »

I hope that you do continue, Ilona; I value your contributions.

Just ignore the people that annoy you - sometimes easier said than done, I know.

Thank you. I am particularly sensitive to nitpickers at the moment, ignoring them is easier said than done. I can up to a point, tough old bird as well as fit old bird, but it does wear you down. I have recently made the decision to block all comments to my blog unless they have a goooooglie account, no more anonymous allowed. Boy has it made life easier for me.

I am of the opinion that you can't expect people to change their ways, but you can change how you deal with it. I don't want to get into conflict with anyone, so I would rather blot them out.

ilona

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:16:25, 21/05/20 »
Don't think I've even read any of the posts on covid-19,  let alone commented, although I'm sure if I have someone will now tell me  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:28:15, 21/05/20 »
Been making me a bit despondent too but the good outweighs the tedious.

One suggestion for admin - leave just one thread relating to CV blocking any others. Then those of us who don't want to continue the daily churning of the same old know which thread to ignore and those who wish to continue debating the sma old can continue the ad infinitum.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:40:01, 21/05/20 »
I know that I can own up to not keeping my entries on the Walking Forum specific to walking, but it's difficult for my brain to do so. In my mind the varied subjects that come under the 'umbrella' term of walking have for me anyway, fuzzy boundaries, not clear and distinct ones. For example, my hiking pleasure and hobby have been disrupted by Covid-19 and I'm not happy about it, so for me, fuzzy, not two separate and distinct subjects.

And I have another failing (or is it an asset?) I'm not a person whos offended by any comments, although I'm happy to answer back. I'd like to think its because of the lifelong work that I've done, I've perhaps come to believe that I've 'seen and heard' it all over the years! From my teenage years I was taught and trained with the idea that if one takes what we see, hear, feel and experience and take it into our inner core so it becomes 'personal' to us then we are doomed and best to get out of the work. Maybe it's made me more insensitive to others and I forget my own view that as individuals I believe we are all different.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:34:47, 21/05/20 »
Whilst I do accept that people are different I do find it really hard to understand that whilst I can accept being sheltered for at least 12 weeks and not being able to even cross my house boundary why some can't accept that in the current situation it will impinge on the previous daily life.
I am not looking for a response and/or start an argument!

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:53:53, 21/05/20 »
Don't think I've even read any of the posts on covid-19,  let alone commented, although I'm sure if I have someone will now tell me  ;D

Must admit after initially being complicit with the flurry of 'coviditis' I've since felt that I need to take a break from it.  The never ending news articles, studies, TV programmes and doomsaying doesn't put anyone in a good mood.  Even as someone with an analytical approach to things, I've found myself wanting to just do something else - be productive, learn something new, even just spend some time relaxing and find myself actively avoiding the constant news.  I see this place as a bit of an 'online pub', it takes all sorts - some like a rant by the slot machine, others watch the footy in the corner nursing a pint and there are others grouped up laughing away in animated conversation.  They can all co-exist together even if they're enjoying different things. 

At the moment you've got to be mindful that the number one thing is looking after yourself, both physically and mentally - and hopefully once you've got that sorted out you can project a bit more kindness to others, reach out to people who might be doing less well, etc.  As said before in other threads a lot of my mates are healthcare workers and likely stuck with the current situation for a while - and sometimes I force myself to try and remember that limited ability to be mobile isn't so bad in comparison.

One thing which has helped with forum posts I disagree with is assuming the person has the best of intentions and not ascribing negative intend until proven otherwise.  Perhaps some might consider this naive, but it definitely reduces the amount of bother and I'm not offended at the best of times.

What this forum would benefit from would be an active admin who is able to 'encourage' keeping some topics to certain threads, and secondly the 'invite only' hikers bar topics imo needs to be brought in to the general forum for different perspectives. 
« Last Edit: 21:33:53, 21/05/20 by forgotmyoldpassword »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:08:32, 21/05/20 »

Yes, you have  :D   :P

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:56:13, 21/05/20 »
Has anyone raised their concerns with the forum admin?

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 00:48:14, 22/05/20 »
Any discussion about Coronavirus should be only be in direct relation to walking. There should be no discussion about how the government is handling the crisis, the effects it is having, or how people are behaving, etc - outside of walking.

We deliberately do not have a board for debating weighty non-walking topics because such topics often become opinionated and heated. The Hikers Bar is only for light hearted chat and banter. So if you wish to debate politics, religion, what's in the news, or any other serious topic outside of walking you will need to find a dedicated forum for such debates.

Everyone should also be abiding by the forum rules:

• No hostility. All discussions must be friendly and civil.

• No inflammatory posts. No controversial, offensive or otherwise disruptive posts which are likely to provoke an angry or emotional response.

• No posts or pm's attacking other members. Teasing or jesting between forum friends is fine, but it must be in an obviously friendly manner preferably with a smiley to make it clear you are joking. Otherwise it will be considered hostile. If either party objects to teasing then both sides must stop immediately.

It would be appreciated if people could 'report to moderator' any non-walking discussions that are becoming too weighty or any other posts which are breaking the forums rules.

I think enough has been said so locking this topic now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy