Author Topic: Minster Way  (Read 10224 times)

ogy

Minster Way
« on: 14:03:16, 06/02/08 »
Just realised there's a 51 miler on my doorstep,

http://beehive.thisishull.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=9016

Has anyone done it?? Heard of it??
I don't think it's too popular as I can't find that many reviews etc online

Cheers

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: Minster Way
« Reply #1 on: 12:15:00, 07/02/08 »
I have think Mr Blister mention it before. There will probably be some info on the LDW web site (long distance walkers).

ogy

« Reply #2 on: 21:56:40, 07/02/08 »
Cheers for that mate, I found it on the ldw site (great site), not much info about it but an address for a guide book,also I live in York so I can cadge a lift to the start and just basically walk home ;)

It'd be great to hear from anyone with experience of it.

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:30:32, 09/02/08 »
Hey there, Ogy, Ukmase ..

Sorry, I haven't checked this site much of late, but yes, I know the Minster Way quite well.  I've done large chunks of the walk, but haven't done it as a continuous project - something which I aim to solve when the days get a little longer.  The terrain, as I'm sure you're aware, is very much of the 'rolling wolds' type - small dales, little woods, endless farmland and country lanes, typical East Yorkshire really.  If you like this walk, you might want to consider the Wolds Way as well.

My plan is to complete the walk in a long weekend, starting on a Friday and finishing on the Sunday.  I'm tempted to ask if you want to do it together but understand that that might be a bit much to ask.  Besides like you, I was going to start in York and walk home - hey we could cross in the middle, that'd be cool!  :)

All the best to you!  O0

ogy

« Reply #4 on: 14:59:16, 09/02/08 »
Hi Mr. Blister

I'm going to be doing the walk in one go purely to time restraits, It'd be great tp get out sometime for a hike though.
I work every Saturday so I'll be most likely starting it on a Sunday, Such a good idea to meet along the way, fantastic excuse for an extended lunch break.

Any parts to watch out for??

Do you live in Beverly??? I live about 1 1/2 miles away from the York Minster, the walk practically goes through my back garden :)

The wolds way looks good too, I just sent off for some free leaflets on it. I'm doing as many of these local treks as poss as preperation for the Cleveland Way in September.

Cheers for the reply

Ogy

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:26:57, 10/02/08 »
Ey up, Ogy,

Not sure I'm reading you right, do you mean you're going to do the Minster Way without stopping? 51 miles flat out?

I live in Hull, but have done lots of walks all over East Yorkshire, and so have touched upon large chunks of the Minster Way before - the most recent of which was the 15 miles between Bainton and Beverley.  You'll find this section of the walk fairly flat and easy going, no real hills or climbs, but this is always the case the closer you get to the coast.  For walking, I prefer the region between Market Weighton and York, some very nice terrain out there.

I intend to do the Minster Way sometime around August, probably in 3 days (though if I pushed myself I think I could do it in two).  Not sure yet.  When are you planning on doing it? I'm happy to discuss the route with you.

O0

ogy

« Reply #6 on: 21:29:23, 11/02/08 »
Hi mate,

Probably have a stab at it come summer time too, longer days, at the present I plan to attempt it in one day but it all depends on work and the terrain (I've only just found out about it and can't find too much online). I figure it's not that much longer than the Lyke Wake but as I have that penciled in to do again I might do it with a Sunday night wild camp. Closer to the time we'll have to plan something O0

When I get the guide book through I'll start doing bits of it, maybe incorporate it into some runs. Do you know of any sites with info on or do you have the guide??

Ogy

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:23:33, 15/02/08 »
Sorry, I don't have the guide, nor do I know of any internet sites about it.  I only discovered the walk when coming across some sign posts for it on one of my previous jaunts, and quite liked the idea of linking the two great minsters.

All this talking about it has raised my enthusiasm for it, and I think I'm going to bring it forward in my calendar to April.  (I was going to set a portion of August aside for it).  So my plan so far is to get dropped off in York on Sunday 6th April and wild camp Sunday/Monday and get to Beverley sometime on the Tuesday.

I hope you don't mind me asking Ogy, but how much experience have you at walking long distance? The most I've done so far is 20+ miles, and that was hard. I am trying to build up my mileage for the Lyke Wake in June, but I'd think again about attempting 51 miles straight out.  My fear would be that you'd do 30 miles or so and then knacker yourself out.

I'm really looking forward to this walk now. I'll keep this thread updated with my plans/route etc.

O0

ogy

« Reply #8 on: 08:38:19, 17/02/08 »
Hi Blister, good luck for april mate, I'm getting a bit itchy about having a crack at it too.

My long distance walking experience is like this. Before the Lyke Wake (in october) I was doing occasional 30 milers, my usual walks consist of anything from 10 to 25's. The Lyke Wake is the furthest I've walked continuously, this walk I did with my wife who'd never walked further than 25, She found it a bit more difficult than I did, mostly due to blisters  though not the distance.

After doing the lyke wake I really didn't feel too bad, I was even thinking about a double crossing sometime or maybe having a go at the lyke wake run.

I've always been in to hiking but more so these last few years, I'm more of a runner, marathons, halfs etc, preferably off road but the amount of time spent out running to be prepared for long distance runs and balancing this with having two kids and starting a business it wasn't very practical anymore. I still do a few though, week after next I've got a half penciled in. I wasn't going to bother but you get a great long sleeved t-shirt  O0

I know I can do more than 30 without burning out and realise it takes most of the fun out of these types of walks which are planned around the scenic views but I have this awful habbit of enjoying pushing myself. The thing with having a crack at the minster is it's not too much to ask for a lift home if I fail, I've a good mate who wants to do it in a day too so we'll push each other on.

I'd say if you can do a 30 miler you'll breeze the Lyke Wake, it's a fantastic walk, We did it usupported and pre arranged our pick up at the ravenscar hotel so once started we had no choice but to crack on and finish, the only thing I'd change next time would be to do it in summer as we finished it in the dark which was a bit crap, rather than just heading for the mast which you can always see we were constantly having to check the map and bearings for the final part.

Ogy

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:01:21, 22/02/08 »
Ok, Ogy, I'll let you off, you're obviously more than qualified to do the walk in one go. Rather you than me though!  ;)

You're spot on about the lift home. I'm thinking the same thing, it's so close to my own backyard, it wouldn't be asking too much to ask someone to come and collect me if all failed. But I'm not expecting too much trouble. I did the Wolds Way in 6 days, and that was easy enough.

I'm really looking forward to this walk, will probably wild cap the distance, that way I'm not going to be bogged-down with a schedule, and if I feel that I can push on another five miles or so then I can.  But I am hesitant to do the walk in two days (25 miles a day) as I really want to take time to enjoy it, but since I know the last half really well, will probably breeze through that.

Let me know how your plans for it go!  ;)

ogy

« Reply #10 on: 14:34:31, 23/02/08 »
I just got some leaflets through on the wolds way, It looks good.

I love walking with no schedule, By far the biggest appeal of wild camping. I tend to hike untill I have enough daylight left to pitch up and get something cooking. It's great fun trying to find a flat pitch at the last minute ;D

Ogy

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:57:04, 23/02/08 »
I just got some leaflets through on the wolds way, It looks good.

If you want a walk that summarises the Wolds then the Wolds Way is it - it's a trail that offers country lanes, rolling hills, small dales, fields and small woods.  If you want grand vistas, or steep climbs then I'd say look elsewhere. It is a walk for beginners to LDPs and those with a fixation on East Yorkshire. I like it, it's a nice trail, and I've done many walks along it.

Have you had any leaflets for the Minster Way yet?

ogy

« Reply #12 on: 22:50:20, 26/02/08 »
Anytime now blister, was hoping it'd be today, I'll fill you in on the details when I get it

Ogy

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:19:41, 27/02/08 »
Good man! Thanks for the PM mate, appreciate it!  O0

ogy

« Reply #14 on: 16:42:27, 30/03/08 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy